Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

The weight and momentum certainly take a while to get used to. Floaty isn't the right word but I think I probably used the same word to describe the feel. It's definitely its own thing. Dare I say, 'sluggish' is a better descriptor?

I'll go further and say it's like Dark Souls (yup) in that you really have to commit to every button press and movement because you don't have the luxury of Mario or even Rayman with mid-air microadjustments. It's much less forgiving. You either get it right or you die, for the most part. And it partly explains why it feels so satisfying when that movement and rhythm click. 

Agreed, get used to rolling with DK and then jumping, as you're gonna need that "speed roll jump" skill a fair bit later on in the game. Also one other thing peeps should be aware of control wise is you can speed roll "off an edge" and press jump really late (in midair), and it'll still register as a jump. I know this is a legacy move from DKC 1-3 on the SNES but the game doesn't tell you it's in there. Very useful for getting low lying letters / jigsaw pieces.

I completed this very recently on Wii U (hard mode aside!), collecting every jigsaw and letter piece into the process, and I absolutely loved it. 2D platforming perfection. And this coming from someone who didn't like DK's movement to begin with - persevere and you will begin to appreciate it.

Absolutely, good tips, chaps. The speed roll means that you have two gears, 1st and 4th. To continue my absurd Dark Souls analogy, it's like Havel but with the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Definitely very versatile once you get used to the intricacies and more advanced applications, though. 

I did hear an interesting point on a podcast (that was probably obvious to some people). The reason it's more expensive than many think it should be is exactly because it previously under performed. It may not have actually recouped all of it's development cost from the Wii U sales - or if it did, it might not have made much profit. 1.7m sales is a solid amount for sure (going by vgchartz), but when games like Tomb Raider are classed as under performing when they sell several times that it makes you wonder. 

You can make the argument that a lower price sells more copies and generates more revenue (as proven by Steam), but Nintendo don't like to operate that way. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it's bad news! 

I'm not saying that its bad news. I'm saying the figures represent a flat (roughly) 2% of console owners bought the game.

If Captain Toad was a "budget" release on Wii U and is £35 on Switch, why does the same not apply to Donkey Kong?

Anyhoo bought it and love it :wub:

To me the question isn't really why it is£49.99 on Switch, the price of all their big AAA games, but why it was £34.99 on Wii U. The answer to that is because the Wii U was massively underperforming and they were desperate to turn the situation around. £34.99 isn't a usual price point for Nintendo. 

Being a none Mario Bros platformer has nothing to do with it. Are you saying charging £50 for Mario Maker is okay just because it's a Mario game?

As for it looking dated, compared to what? Apart from Kirby there's nothing on the market like it. No one else makes these games anymore.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, and obviously it arguably offers less value for those who bought it on Wii U, but otherwise it's priced in line with the rest of their Switch line up. 

At the end of the day if you're genuinely interested in the game you can pick it up for £40 or less.

@grindmouse

Actual "worth" of software is so unbelievably subjective. 

Some games I'd spend like £200 or something just to have and the entertainment value would be so worth it. 

...other's I wouldn't pay 50p for. 

It's almost like if the game's not worth x amount of money to you then don't buy it.. or look to get it in a sale or 2nd hand. 

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I’m interested, but mildly so, and absolutely not for the price they’re asking. You can make a point about subjective value but in terms of contextualised industry prices for last-gen ports, and in the context of it’s RRP last gen, and as a niche franchise in a niche genre, it shouldn’t be a full price title.

So now we're valuing games based on how niche their appeal is rather than actually considering the worth of the content itself? How do you price brand new IP then? Should ARMS only cost twenty quid because it's an unproven title in a niche genre? 

I question how niche you think it actually is anyway when the Wii U version sold 1.7 million and Kirby, another 2D platformer, has also performed very well.

If you're going to 'contextualise' it then consider that Wii U version cost less because it was released on an underperforming platform and they needed to shift units. Do you believe it would have launched at £34.99 if the Wii U was doing Switch numbers? 

You're just going to have to get over it. It's a cliche but it's worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it and so far it seems to be doing well. 

For further context consider that Pokken costs £50 as does Mario Kart as will Hyrule Warriors. That's what Nintendo believe these titles are worth in the current climate. 

47 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Most Switch owners are aware TF is a port not a fresh title.

Maybe not, why would anyone who's been brought back into the Nintendo fold really be aware? It hardly made much of a splash on a platform that also didn't make a splash so those that missed the Wii U (either intentionally or because they never realised it exited) may not be aware. It's not like Nintendo are trumpeting it in the ads either is it. 

47 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And the first 6 months of Switch’s 2018 has been barren, Wii U- style.

I think Nintendo have been massively greedy with this, and it surprises me this is a controversial statement with folks literally arguing the Wii U version was £15 undervalued at rrp (!?!?)

It does seem a little daft given it was re-released only two years ago for under £20 as well but do people know that? Do they care? No idea. Whatever though, the more people that are getting to play it the better, it's a great game regardless but I'm happy with the Wii U and the Wii U version. Thing is, this sort of game in the style it is already looks brilliant on Wii U and given it's so soon since I bought it there it's another reason why getting a Switch doesn't interest me in the slightest at the moment.

11 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I understand Nintendo thinks it can get away with charging full price, what I don’t understand is forumites supporting it when they’d be crucifying EA for similar practices? In fact EA recently got a ton of criticism for charging £35 for a 10yo last-gen remaster. But it’s ok for Nintendo, because you like the game!?

This just seems SOP, a company you don't love does something, you complain. A company you love does basically the same thing or worse, you lap it up or defend it.

17 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I think ARMS should’ve been cheaper as well, which is why I waited for a sale. It does not offer the same value proposition as other smilarly-priced Nintendo titles, and was comparable to SFV in terms of launch content. It only got 6 months of post launch content too.

Pokken launched a lot later than DKTF and included post launch DLC content on Switch.

I understand Nintendo thinks it can get away with charging full price, what I don’t understand is forumites supporting it when they’d be crucifying EA for similar practices? In fact EA recently got a ton of criticism for charging £35 for a 10yo last-gen remaster. But it’s ok for Nintendo, because you like the game!?

EA get criticised for a lot more than over charging for ports. What was that remaster btw?

Your views sound confused to me. You seem to think it's OK charging full price for some games and not others and the way you quantify 'value' is entirely subjective. 

In answer to your question I haven't bought the game but I'd have no problems dropping £40 on it, or less if I could snag a deal, because it looks like a high quality game the likes of which only Nintendo produce, and all the reviews seem to back that up. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't feel it isn't good value for money.

19 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Burnout Paradise was the remaster. It was accused of just being a PC port, when it wasn’t. A lot of discussion about what should be expected in a remaster versus a remake IIRC.

Wasn't it just an up-res?