Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

5 hours ago, Nequests said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-07-uk-charts-god-of-war-defeats-donkey-kong-to-remain-no-1

Fifty quid too much, sent out to die, hard sell for just a 2D platformer, blah blah blah.

Much higher install base, people keen for "new" software and, let's be honest, a much more positive buzz around the game than the first time round. I know you're trying to be all smarmy and point out why some of us (including me) are wrong, but DKCTF selling and doing well is a great thing for a great game that deserved it the first time round. 

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I don’t think that proves anything. 

It proves that after 4 days on sale it's selling better than the Wii U version did which was priced lower and wasn't a port.

6 hours ago, Nequests said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-07-uk-charts-god-of-war-defeats-donkey-kong-to-remain-no-1

Fifty quid too much, sent out to die, hard sell for just a 2D platformer, blah blah blah.

Yeah, err what? It's number 2 in the charts! NUMBER 2! 

The Wii U version sold nothing, this is the highest charting piece of software with the exception of God of War, which is the current Zeitgeist, cutting-edge videogame. It would never knock it off in a million years. 

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

How many copies were sold? All I see are percentages.

An extra 50% on tiny Wii U sales isn't going to amount to much.

No figures have been released yet, and these are just physical sales. It's not even been out a full week yet.

For comparison DKC:TF sold 1.7 million on Wii U. Even if Switch just matches that it's a success, but I'd say projections should be higher given the Switch's popularity. We could be looking at sales of 3-4 million.

27 minutes ago, Nequests said:

So? They still paid fifty quid a pop. 

Nobody paid £50. Even Game have it for £45 and it's cheaper elsewhere. 

I think it's reasonable to  ompare the install bases of the Wii U and Switch to see how many owners of the hardware actually bought the game. 53% doesn't sound that much higher given the Switch's popularity at the moment (and how badly the Wii U did). In early 2014 there were (going by some quick googling) 6.17 million Wii U's sold and there are now over 14 million Switches. Twice as many Switchs, but it hasn't done twice as well. 

6 minutes ago, Radish said:

Nobody paid £50. Even Game have it for £45 and it's cheaper elsewhere. 

I think it's reasonable to look compare the install bases of the Wii U and Switch to see how many owners of the hardware actually bought the game. 53% doesn't sound that much higher given the Switch's popularity at the moment (and how badly the Wii U did). In early 2014 there were (going by some quick googling) 6.17 million Wii U's sold and there are now over 14 million Switches. Twice as many Switchs, but it hasn't done twice as well. 

But aren’t those numbers physical sales only, digital accounts for a meaningful % of sales now

The inhabitants of the Archipelago - named 'Donkey Kong Country' after it's tyrannical egoistical ruler - are starving. The Kong's have been hoarding the islands prime food source, bananas, for decades. Not for food, of course, as everyone knows that bananas start to rot in a week. Instead, the Kong's keep the locals under control through depriving their food source so they are too hungry to fight back and free themselves from enslavement.

Thankfully, a benevolent team of missionary's arrive from the north and take the bananas and scatter them through the islands to provide food for everyone. Donkey Kong, that idiot, thinks the bananas are being stolen but doesn't seem to realise that if that were the case, you wouldn't leave thousands of them evenly distributed across the world.

The locals - who understandably HATE the Kong's - and missionary's put up a brave resistance against the apes and try to stop them reclaiming the bananas that they weren't eating anyway because - as we said - you cannot hoard that many bananas for more than like a week as they start rotting.

Most of these heroes perish at the hands of the vicious Kong's but at least get some relief as the Kong's themselves suffer heavy losses against the wide variety of sadistic traps they mist have set up themselves - what with being pretty the only creatures in a thousand miles with opposable thumbs.

Fuck the Kong's and fuck retro studios.

(currently on world 5)

1 minute ago, Radish said:

Sorry, people exaggerating game prices to make a point is a pet peeve of mine. 

Ha, all the naysayers saying it wouldn't sell because it costs FIFTY POUNDS are now attempting to downplay its success by saying no one actually paid FIFTY POUNDS :hat:

I don't know how many games you have to sell to get to number 2 on the charts or how much it costs to port a game to a different platform as opposed to making a whole new one but I suspect the numbers will work and what is everyone arguing about.

Let's discuss things that matter. Like how erratic the difficulty curve is and how we can track down some of the level designers and make them pay.

25 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a great computer game. 

Yeah but you can have twice as much fun discussing pricing and sales figures on rllmuk for free! 

38 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

About twenty more than it’s worth relative to the RRP of other ports/remasters. :hat:

It's worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it and by all accounts it's done well so far, so :P