Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

7 hours ago, Pockets said:

It’s a much better game than Odyssey, but I’m aware I’m the only person in the world who didn’t think much of that. 

I thought Odyssey was a fantastic game, full of creativity beyond my imagination but in terms of pure platforming, I probably prefer 2D to 3D, as a rule. It's obviously a very different game to Tropical Freeze, though. 

Apart from Inside, I think this is the first 2D platformer I have played in a very long time. Where they always this bastard hard? The second boss chucks a load of feathers at you and on his second run of this I cannot see how you can avoid them - the gap between them is too small, surely? Before that loads of pixel perfect jumps and mechanics that aren't immediately obvious (that you can slap whilst zip lining is something I discovered via youtube), combined with the moronic roll and run thing. IF you need to run and jump off an edge you'll probably roll off it and die. Loads.

Yes, I know I'm shit.

I’m playing the funky Kong mode without using funky kong, if that makes sense.

You get more hearts (I think) and the passive-aggressive “The next level is unlocked even though you can’t beat this one” message after dying 5 times in a row. :(

Might start using funky but I think it kind of turns it into a different game

15 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The second boss chucks a load of feathers at you and on his second run of this I cannot see how you can avoid them - the gap between them is too small, surely? 

It took me a couple of goes to figure out that you need to use the barrels either side of the platform.

As for the 'run' and jump, well, there's no easy way to break this to you to make up for all those infuriating deaths gone by: There is no run button.

Hey! I just saw him get out his 3DS while making this post!

On another note, the bosses in this are really really hard (for me) but pretty damn satisfying. The third boss I probably spent half an hour learning his patterns and tells and stuff, which I wouldn't bother doing outside of a Souls game. I'd have binned the game off after two attempts but I always learned just enough to make another go worthwhile.

The 4-1 music has made it doubly worthwhile, it's like MPP-era Animal Collective covering the Lambada. 

Real talk: This has gone straight into my top ten Switch games. I'll see where it ends up when I've finished it. There are so many cool secrets and challenging collectibles, I reckon I'll get a good thirty/forty hours or more out of it if I want to hit 100%. I virtually never do that kind of thing nor have the interest but this has got its paws wrapped tight around my banana. And post.

Edit: That said, @Stanleyit does take a while to get used to the movement and the levels seemed a bit prosaic at the start. It's not essential, it's just bloody good. It can certainly wait til it's a bit cheaper.

Am I right that Alternate is closer to the SNES games? That was my first thought when I switched. I also only beat the third world boss after switching, so thanks. Much better feel to rolling and jumping. 

It's still fucking amazing yeah. I love the kind of refined heftiness that the Kong controls have, but every aspect of this game is heavyweight and classy. From the wonderful solid colourful visuals and the ludicrously excellent soundtrack to the way the levels transition between varying sections and unfold, rammed full of thrills and joys and secrets. I thought at the time that this is the best 2D platform game that doesn't have Mario in it and I don't think I'm changing that opinion. 

Please buy it Switch newcomers. 

It's 40 quid online Stanley. Trade it in at game for 30 quids worth of eshop to then spend on 14 indie titles if you like.

That's 10 pounds to play the best 2D platformer on the system. Do it man.

4 hours ago, Fatsam said:

It's 40 quid online Stanley. Trade it in at game for 30 quids worth of eshop to then spend on 14 indie titles if you like.

You cannot argue with this kind of logic.

like a lot of you tube vids this is a bit long but makes some good points about this game

its so full of great touches, I spent some time on the falling leaf level with the owls blowing giant horns yesterday, its superb.

16 hours ago, Fatsam said:

You motherfucker.

So, uh, Game will really give me around thirty quid eShop credit for this?

I just hit 5-1 and burned about thirty lives in five minutes. I have a really bad attitude, I've found out. That strangled grunt that Kong does when you die, that's me that is. Except I'm also going 'DICKKKK' or 'FUCKKKK'. 

On 06/05/2018 at 13:04, Fatsam said:

All this DK talk has got me lusting for some Windmill Hills and Grassland Groove action :wub:

I'm going to dig my Wii U version out later.

A full replay is overdue.

I'm doing the same - don't think I ever finished hard mode so I might jump straight in with that.

Or I might just leave the game idle in the background whilst the amazing soundtrack plays away:

:wub:

In just one week, the Switch version of the game already accounts for nearly 17% of the total number of copies the game has sold in the UK (physical units only). Week one sales of the Switch version were 53.7% higher than week one sales of the Wii U version (although Switch does have a considerably higher install base)

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-07-uk-charts-god-of-war-defeats-donkey-kong-to-remain-no-1

Fifty quid too much, sent out to die, hard sell for just a 2D platformer, blah blah blah.