Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

I completed this last month, getting all the KONG letters and finishing all the secret levels. Watching speedruns of the secret levels, considering it took me upwards of 50 attempts to do some of them, is pretty mindbending:

(secret level spoilers)

I LOVE the music on that level, but the guy playing has got the sound effects up too high. Top tip: keep the music level at 100 but take the sound effects down to about 70.

EDIT:

This one too. This is the hardest (and final) level in the entire game:

Faaakin' 'ell

• 2 weeks later...

Just 100%'d this and absolutely loved it. The K stages were a proper old school level of platforming challenge, and the variety across the game was top notch. Great soundtrack, fantastic visuals, another cracker for the Wii U. It's a shame it's been overlooked by so many people, probably because it hasn't really come down in price and it's a crowded genre on the console.

Just 100%'d this and absolutely loved it. The K stages were a proper old school level of platforming challenge, and the variety across the game was top notch. Great soundtrack, fantastic visuals, another cracker for the Wii U. It's a shame it's been overlooked by so many people, probably because it hasn't really come down in price and it's a crowded genre on the console.

Well done! Did you get all the jigsaw pieces too?

Well done! Did you get all the jigsaw pieces too?

I decided that was a step too far. The hints parrot is bloody useless! It just sits there silently when you actually need assistance, only squawking madly when you're a micrometre away from the piece!

Btw, I can't be the only one who calls them Jiggies, in homage to Banjo!

Yep, I think I'd snap it up in a heart beat if it was ever 50% off. Am in Canada, where you just don't get discounted games like you do in the UK. So am waiting for an online store offer. I've only had a WiiU for about 6 months and there doesn't seem to have been an offer yet.

• 11 months later...

The release of this on Nintendo Selects means the secondhand price has dropped like a stone so I finally picked up a bargain copy, virtually untouched. Thought I'd best test it and crowbarred Xenoblade X out of the drive, played through the first level a couple of times to get jigsaw pieces then saw the time attack option and gave that a go... to find myself about thirty seconds off even a bronze medal. Christ alive. Spent the next god knows how long on that one level just getting my time under two minutes and I was left thinking why the hell have I been putting untold hours into Xenoblade X when I could've been playing this instead.

The music often gets plaudits but I didn't see what was so special about it, however it's obviously got something going for it as when I showed it to my little two year old girl she just started dancing every time the music came on :) I can see me playing this for quite some time, and it's got me itching to get back into other "proper" games that I've left hanging on the machine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to starting this the other night. 

I've got to say I'm not feeling the love for it. The graphics and music are top notch as you'd expect but the controls are just fundamentally flawed. There seems to be too much inertia when you roll and jump and I just can't get on with it. 

It's not a patch on the three snes games which controlled with far more precision. 

Have you tried switching the controls around? There's an option somewhere I can't remember what it does, but I do remember it made it much better to control (I think it puts run and grab onto a face button so it controls like the originals?). Agreed with your point about the inertia though, it is a little iffy.

I'm playing DKC2 at the moment with my son.  We finally completed the first a couple of months back after playing it on and off on various platforms (ho ho) over the space of about ten years.  Glorious, glorious games.  Definitely need to give the modern versions a bash.

I died on the first boss a few times too, but looking at it it should be really, really easy. It just goes on a bit and if you don't concentrate then your two hits (or more if you've got a helper) can disappear very quickly, stuff like trying to desperately regain a heart is usually what ended me more often than anything.

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Finally got round to starting this the other night. 

I've got to say I'm not feeling the love for it. The graphics and music are top notch as you'd expect but the controls are just fundamentally flawed. There seems to be too much inertia when you roll and jump and I just can't get on with it. 

It's not a patch on the three snes games which controlled with far more precision. 

Nah, it's far better than the Rare games, I'd say it's among the very best platformers of all-time. Controls are excellent when you get used to them and the level design is superb.

You only have to watch skill videos to see how clever it is and how you can use advanced techniques to speedrun.

Just look at Jamie's vids above. Great game design.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I picked this up the other week from a Facebook sale, and was thoroughly enjoying playing it (I'm still undecided if this or the recent 2D Rayman games are better - both are awesome)... that was at least until I got to level 4-2, when my disc refused to load the stage. Again and again. I tried everything under the sun (and google!) to fix it, until a close examination of the disc reveals a tiny bubble on one part of the disc, presumably the culprit. Contacted the seller but no reply... really frustrating as it's a fantastic wee game and was keen to finish it (how close to the end was I?). Not sure I can justify buying it again for £16 on eBay/CEX with a pile of shame looking on at me with puppy dog eyes.

• 2 months later...

It does look and sound phenomenal. I've just got to the second world and that Windmill Hills theme is my favourite game music of the year already. I got plenty of opportunity to enjoy it, as I probably died thirty times before I just finished it.

Full and frank confession, I never even played this up to the first boss on the Wii U. I don't think I got past the third level. I could probably have bought an actual farm with the money I've misspent on computer games.

That said, I'm really enjoying this especially now it's moving beyond the tropical beach stuff. 

Not a fan of this so far, mid way through world 2. DK just feels too all over the place. He's either lumbering at a snails pace or launching himself half way across the screen. It also feels like there are too many controls, I'm grabbing and jumping and rolling and it all just feels a bit much like I'm fighting against the controller. 

Will crack on and hope it's just a case of me getting used to it as these things normally are. 

It's a challenging game that's for sure. I love the extra controls and when you get it spot on, it can be so fluid and smooth. The music is perfect too. I find it has a lot of depth for different skills. From beginners just completing the level is a joy and an achievement but for expert finding all the collectibles can really test. 

I really love Donkeys fur as well, looks gorgeous. And the mine cart levels... 

I've just got to world three and while I've managed to subconsciously expand my vocabulary along the way ("motherbastard"), I've really got into this. I definitely felt at first that he was a lumbering prick with a suicide roll but when you start to get a feel for his two gears and you career through a level with skiddy giddiness, it feels pretty damn good. It reminds me of what the Cane and Rinse guys were saying about Mario Kart 64: It feels much less chunky and tight than the original Super Mario Kart but there's a cumulative euphoria to constantly playing on the edge of your seat. 

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

To those that moan about the control, I do get it, I know what you mean, but you’re wrong. Just give it a little time, and for fuck sake use the alternate controls. 

After a good few hours this morning and afternoon, I've now developed a feel for the tumbling tyke and he feels great. I know when I'll launch myself to my doom and while I sometimes do still do that, I'm using that little burst of speed much more fluidly and reliably. In terms of presentation, it's really not far off Odyssey. An exceptional looking game and the soundtrack is already one of the greatest I've heard in a long time. It's right up there with Nier: Automata, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Persona 5.