Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

I think it depends on your skill and rage tolerance levels. I'm a very experienced gamer and I've died a lot in the first 2 worlds. It's nothing that's annoyed me, but I can see why some people would be gnashing their teeth by the 2nd boss. This is a good thing, games are far too soft these days!

The boss of the second world took me a while... but it was fun to play, never felt unfair and when I got him I did an actual air punch.

Nothing wrong with a hard game every now and again. Especially when it looks so utterly stunning.

This game is absolutely brilliant. It's also more generous with lives and, at least so far (on world 3), doesn't seem as hard as DKCR - but that may be because I've honed my DK skills lately.

It looks, sounds and plays gloriously. Up there with the absolute best on the WiiU.

Well, this is magnificent, isn't it? After never playing DKR this doesn't really feel like DKC at all due to the weight of DK, however it does retain the trickiness and platforming ethics of the original series.

I'm not sure what the difference between Diddy and Dixie is, but Cranky is a damned powerhouse with that pogo jump! It's like having Rolento in a platform game. Easily my favourite companion after not feeling convinced on his announcement.

This is also going to be yet another bastard to 100%. The KONG letters aren't too bad thus far, however those puzzle pieces are fiendishly hidden.

Just one thing... Is anyone noticing the framerate refresh? It's most apparent for me on the minecart levels. The speed and the consistent 60fps makes the scenery look blurry. This is just the nature of 60fps and not a problem with the game, it's just that I'm noticing perfectly horizontal motion brings it out. I might have a dabble with the clearscan bollocks on a low setting to see if it smooths it out without much input latency.

• 2 weeks later...

All levels should be like 1-K from the get go: No checkpoints.

I've been slapping my head and cursing in frustration, and at the same time I can't quite remember something as "one more go!!" as this in a while, amazing stuff.

I'm actually finding that the overall platforming design of the 'K' levels to be vastly superior to the standard stages. It's like it's a different game entirely. The motions you are directed in are unique to the obstacles found within them.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit, went back to this yesterday and I found an option where you can have stick control, but switch the buttons from default so that 'Y' is grab and the shoulder buttons are pound (which is default for the d-pad controls). Was this patched in or something, or has it always been there? It makes the game about a million times better for me. No idea why the main menu only has two control choices!

• 1 month later...

I prefer this to NSMBU, personally. I like the weight that DK has, I like the momentum, I like not having to hold down a run button constantly, I like not being against the clock, I prefer the graphics, the music and the levels and overall I think it's more 'fun'.

Also, Grassland Groove:

Me too, but I do find this much easier to control with the stick. It feels wrong not holding a button to run though so I do it anyway :lol:

It is a lot better than the last one but it still feels a bit wrong, as you say. Sometimes you mistime a jump or fuck up in some other way because you've hesitated a bit because the controls aren't quite as responsive as they should be. That never happens in NSMBU.

picked up a dl code for this and played first 4 levels on the pro controller

looks beautiful, sounds amazing and love the level design, just finding the controls a tad clunky at the moment, throwing and jumping off vines seems in particular to be a bit ugly, and you have to be right next to the little circle things to grab and lift them.

I don't mind the game being hard, but controls seems a little over fussy

will stick with it though as can see what a beautiful crafted game it is otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been playing through this the last week or so, I love the normal levels but the boss fights are a bitch and a bastard, it's not that their that hard, just they last forever and throw all kinds at you, everyone except the first ive had to play over 10 times, just beat the puff out fish boss, the 4th one, not as bad as the owl, nearly stopped playing! I imagine they'll get worse

Great game and good time of year for me to play a game like this, reminds me of being a kid in 2d platform heyday, haven't took a 2d platform game seriously for about 20 years

You have got to be kidding.

Come on Hylian. Man up. We can get to hard mode once we've 100% completed NSMBU, Luigi U, Rayman Legends, 3D World, Toad Tracker and Pikmin challenge mode.

I got another gold on NSMBU challenges yesterday. I fear you're falling behind.

Come on Hylian. Man up. We can get to hard mode once we've 100% completed NSMBU, Luigi U, Rayman Legends, 3D World, Toad Tracker and Pikmin challenge mode.

I got another gold on NSMBU challenges yesterday. I fear you're falling behind.

Last I heard you were struggling on that final boss on DKTF

I actually just lobbed the wii u pad into a pile of mega blocks. Fucking owl boss! Doesn't help that whenever I play this my children seem to turn up with the sole intention of distracting me. Will have to try using the d pad on the pro controller. Was struggling away with the stick!

• 4 months later...

Out of interest, how do you get the DK symbol lit up for each level on the level select screen (on the right, next to the star and the jigsaw)? I assumed it was if you got the DK symbol in the barrel at the end of each level, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Out of interest, how do you get the DK symbol lit up for each level on the level select screen (on the right, next to the star and the jigsaw)? I assumed it was if you got the DK symbol in the barrel at the end of each level, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I think it only lights up if you get all of the KONG letters and every jigsaw piece in the level. You may have to gold medal the speed run as well.