Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

Tough "smash the controller and possibly the TV" or tough "challenging but rewarding"?

I'll tell you when I finish it. It's quite a fun level to play, but completing it has been beyond me so far. Need to properly dedicate some time to it. It's not the kind of thing you can come back to and ace within 5-10 minutes.

My play through DKCR on 3DS left me emotionally scarred. I don't think I'll return to it, and would hate Tropical Freeze to do the same. Gauging it's through other people's experiences would be great.

Having said that, I'm skipping the gym today in favour of a wander around the shops at lunch so will probably buy it regardless.

I'm weak.

Dunno - I'm on level 6 now and really enjoying it. I've died loads of times, but fast restart and being very generous with lives and stuff makes it fun to go back to. The levels are full of imagination and are really varied.

I love blasting about in barrels...

Started playing it with the Wii U Pro controller in d-pad mode and it's not bad! Would have been perfect with the SNES pad though as this is slightly too bulky for platformers. I'd use the Wiimote instead if you weren't forced to use waggle.

The controls certainly seem better than the Wii and 3DS versions, but still a bit fiddly - why not have roll, run and grab on the same button like on the SNES games? I can't see any reason to split them up. And when you pound the ground unless you're perfectly still you'll do a massive roll forward instead. It just messes with my flow, man.

FFS. I've just completed Arkham City, have Deus Ex and Splinter Cell still wrapped, Pikmin hardly played, W101 60% complete, just bought Knytt in the sale and now I need this also.

Why is this console failing? Fucking stupid news sites. It's like Dreamcast days all over again which is both :omg: and :(

yep it's a bloody tragedy, fucking stupid news sites indeed. while sure nintendo have made some mistakes, there should be more celebration of what potential the system can bring to users.

this game really is something special.

Gonna plus 1 you for speaking the truth. :)

It really is an excellent platformer, my fave 2D platformer in ages. Genuinely challenging, good secrets, tons of variety and the soundtrack of the year. Yes, I know the year has barely started, but it is that good.

Well, yeah. I love TxK, but the sheer variety and scope of Wise's score is incredible. He can seemingly do everything. From the African beats of Grassland Groove to the brilliant ambient tunes of Seashore War and Amiss Abyss to the epic, Hans Zimmer beating Homecoming Hijinx to the rock of the boss battles, which wouldn't be out of place in a Devil May Cry game.

The guy is one hell of a composer.

I'm trying to talk the Mrs. into allowing me to buy myself a new guitar amp, so this is staying at work until the deal is done. I'm currently in Guitar Mode and if there's any hint of me being in Game Mode I won't carry half as much leverage.

ok, cleared it and am now mopping up the the bonus levels.

what a game!

better than anything on PS4 and XB1 by a country mile, and in my view, with better visuals.

and, even though i'm a bit sick of seeing all the gushing about david wise - the music really is brilliant indeed. there's not a weak track in the OST, and such breadth of talent/use of styles and instruments.

I wasn't going to get this, then I changed my mind, and I'm glad I did. Yes it's very similar to its predecessor but actually that's not really a bad thing. And I know everyone's said this, but the music is astounding. At one point I fell off a platform and died because I was distracted by a particularly groovy saxophone solo.

Picked this up today with some birthday money. It's great and better than I was expecting.

I'm also loving the challenge. As amazing as Mario 3D World is I thought if took a little too long ramping up the challenge, with this I've just reached world 4 and have died more times than I have in any game since....well....probably Donkey Kong Country 2.

Picked this up today with some birthday money. It's great and better than I was expecting.

I'm also loving the challenge. As amazing as Mario 3D World is I thought if took a little too long ramping up the challenge, with this I've just reached world 4 and have died more times than I have in any game since....well....probably Donkey Kong Country 2.

The challenge is why I haven't bought the game yet. I really want it, but Mario 3D World is as hard a game as I have the energy to go through these days.

The challenge is why I haven't bought the game yet. I really want it, but Mario 3D World is as hard a game as I have the energy to go through these days.

I believe it's not so bad if you want to simply run through it. It's not meant to become difficult until you go after the 100% completion. A bit like NSMBU.