Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

Played some more this morning: it's much more enjoyable with the pro controller.

Started to get used to the controls now so it's less frustrating: I still stand by the fact that they've put too many moves in the game. The grab and throw mechanic feels unsatisfying and takes up button space.

One thing I'm having to do is train myself to do is not hold down the run button as it does nothing, but it's damn hard to do after all these years of conditioning.

The secrets in this are ace.

2 out of 3 ain't bad :P . Can't get to grip with the controls, too many times DK has gone spinning off along the ground when I didn't press the button to do it. Also the amount of trial and error in this game is crazy.

However, it does has the Windmill Hills music ( :wub: ), so the game is automatically awesome.

Edit: forgot to mention there's no way in hell I'm finishing this game without breaking something due to The Rage!

Incoming dead wiiu controller! I wonder what it will take to kill it?

Does it have all the items and stuff from DKCR3DS? If so, I imagine it might be hard, but you can get invincibility and stuff to help through really tricky bits. My son is desperate to play it.... Roll on pay day

From what I've read, this doesn't have the "Super Guide" mode, which would play through it if you were particularly crap at a level (with the silverback version of DK).

Which is annoying, because Nintendo bloody patented it.

Will be interested to hear how hard it is...

Started playing this yesterday with my friend. It's visuals and sound are really impressive. It took me an hour to get used to the controls coming off the back of SM3DW but once you've got the controls down it really is a great platformer that stands on it's own against Rayman and Mario. You can never have enough platforming goodness in your life. This is a great game. Bananas/10

Think i've had enough of this game now. For me, beyond the visuals and the odd awesome tune, there's very little in the way of enjoyment in this game. I find myself getting to the end of each level thinking 'thank god thats over'. Theres no way i'm gonna go back and get the secret exits, and theres no pull to carry on and finish the main 'story' (i'm on the boss in world 3).

If Mario Kart doesn't deliver, console-wise Nintendo are dead as far as i'm concerned.

Must admit, I'm not really feeling this either. After loving DKR on the 3DS, I thought I would feel the same about this but it just feels...off. The levels are too long and the controls seem a little bit wrong (I never had any issues with DKR's controls). I'm only at the end of World 1 bit have no real compulsion to keep playing.

Maybe I'm just platformed out. I've been on a binge recently with Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends and Super Meat Boy.

Does this control like arseholes like the 3DS version? Because it looks gorgeous and I want it now. Can I play it with my Wii SNES pad?

This was my complaint about the 3DS one too. For some bizarre reason when you changed control method from slide pad to d-pad all the other buttons changed too. Plus the controls were laggy as shit.

I don't think the controls are actually laggy, DK just has a bit more weight and momentum behind him compared to a Mario. It's taken a while for my brain to get to grips with the buttons though, but at least they're configurable this time.

I'm enjoying the longer levels in this, it makes a pleasant change from most platformers of recent times where the levels are super short. Really allows them to have each one be it's own distinct thing from the others. Good bosses as well - far more intricate than the really basic ones in the Mario games.

As far as 2D platformers go, it's pretty damn good I think. It's actually challenging, the secrets are well-hidden and the level design is pretty tight. It certainly beats the Rayman games in terms of mechanics.

Tons of stuff going on as well. Might not win any GotY awards, but I don't regret my buy. And yes, soundtrack of the year.

Yeah, played this a bit more this afternoon and it's great. I love the sense of weight in DK. And that feeling that the levels are going to fall apart at any given moment. Mario is like a ninja ballerina. Donkey Kong is more like a twenty stone toddler. Both fun to control in their own right.

Think i've had enough of this game now. For me, beyond the visuals and the odd awesome tune, there's very little in the way of enjoyment in this game. I find myself getting to the end of each level thinking 'thank god thats over'. Theres no way i'm gonna go back and get the secret exits, and theres no pull to carry on and finish the main 'story' (i'm on the boss in world 3).

If Mario Kart doesn't deliver, console-wise Nintendo are dead as far as i'm concerned.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. Much more fun than anything I've played on the Ps4 or xbone so far

Don't neg him! He's just really bad at hard games.

Anyway this is really great and so far better than DCKR. Another superb game on the WiiU.

Not following the herd and having a differing opinion to most gets me negged :facepalm: .

Saying 'this game is shit and doesn't deserve the praise everyone is heaping on it' is neg-worthy, giving specific reasons for not worshiping the game like most I don't think is.

Reminds me of when I was among the first in the UK to have a Japanese import copy of Mario Sunshine, and I posted that I really disliked it giving my reasons why, only to have abuse back defending a game the forumites hadn't even played yet!

Crazy.

Check out Mr. 'I was among the first in the UK to have a Japanese import copy of Mario Sunshine'.

I was waiting for this.......

It needed to be pointed out as the majority of gamers (on that particular forum at least) hadn't had the chance to play the game at that point thus had no backup to any claims made that my opinion was wrong, but still rubbished my opinion even though I HAD played it. Pretty obvious really.

Not following the herd and having a differing opinion to most gets me negged :facepalm: .

Saying 'this game is shit and doesn't deserve the praise everyone is heaping on it' is neg-worthy, giving specific reasons for not worshiping the game like most I don't think is.

Reminds me of when I was among the first in the UK to have a Japanese import copy of Mario Sunshine, and I posted that I really disliked it giving my reasons why, only to have abuse back defending a game the forumites hadn't even played yet!

Crazy.

Take it with the good grace you deliver to various consoles if they annoy you. Let the anger build and then hunt down and kill all who oppose you.