Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

On 05/05/2018 at 15:28, BitterToad said:

Not a fan of this so far, mid way through world 2. DK just feels too all over the place. He's either lumbering at a snails pace or launching himself half way across the screen. It also feels like there are too many controls, I'm grabbing and jumping and rolling and it all just feels a bit much like I'm fighting against the controller. 

Will crack on and hope it's just a case of me getting used to it as these things normally are. 

Fair old while ago, this one. 

Anyway I'm now convinced this is the best 2D platformer since Mario World. It's brilliant. If it wasn't for the sheer Top 5 of All Time nostalgia I have around World, I'd be tempted to say this could even better it. The momentum that put me off so much to start with clicked after realising it's not Mario and you don't have to Sprint Jump (or roll jump in this case) at all times. Once I started judging distances and the differences between roll jumping, enemy bouncing and regular jumps I realised that DK has this kind of changing dynamic momentum that my old mate Mazza just doesn't have. 

Basically, let this click and it's brilliant, punishing and fun. I love it. I've done half of the K levels and look forward to polishing the rest of them off. 5 K's out of 5. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Donkey Kong Country: The Devil’s Own Platformer. 

This is game is great but by god does it punish even momentary lapses in concentration. 

I never finished the first on Wii, to my shame, and now I remember why. 

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got to what I hope to god is the final boss and it is punishingly, Switch-lobbingly frustrating and hard. I can get to the third round but usually get caught out by the one hit kills lava drop, or his much faster charge, which is not only hard to avoid taking a hit but even harder to land a hit of one’s own. 

Any advice? I feel like I can’t move on until I beat it, I’ve come this far, but it’s starting to tarnish the memory of what was a very fun platformer. 

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

I finally got to what I hope to god is the final boss and it is punishingly, Switch-lobbingly frustrating and hard. I can get to the third round but usually get caught out by the one hit kills lava drop, or his much faster charge, which is not only hard to avoid taking a hit but even harder to land a hit of one’s own. 

Any advice? I feel like I can’t move on until I beat it, I’ve come this far, but it’s starting to tarnish the memory of what was a very fun platformer. 

This was the biggest difficulty spike in the game for me until I realized that rolling into, rather than jumping on, the regular enemies will drop a heart every time. 

9 minutes ago, dirk_beefhammer said:

This was the biggest difficulty spike in the game for me until I realized that rolling into, rather than jumping on, the regular enemies will drop a heart every time. 

Yes I discovered this - it’s still kicking my ass!

I tend to lose the plot at the third stage, either due to falling into the lava or a quick succession of hits, which is extra-frustrating as I’ll have really carefully taken my time, harvesting health back from enemies, maybe successfully landing a hit on the boss once every round, just to be squashed very, very quickly by him further into the fight. 

Grrr!

Beat the fucker, at last. Thank god, a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, I feel like I can move off this game and get on with my life (by playing other games).

Good fun, well designed levels, but the difficulty was satanic in places, zero urge to go back and get all the jigsaws, letters and secret stages, zero. 

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Mugman said:

It's one of the best games of the last few years. Jealous you get to experience it from the beginning fresh. 

I just played 3-1. My wife came in at the start of it and ended up watching me complete it. We both kept smiling at the sheer loveliness of it all. Might be the most charming game I've ever played

Finally picked this up on the Switch, although to be honest the difficulty of DKR put me off getting it on the Wii U.

So far it’s much better than DKR, seems a good mix of fairness and challenge (if you want it.) Really enjoying it!

Although it is showing up the dreaded joycon drift on both my left handed joycons, which is incredibly annoying when DK just wanders off a ledge... I guess I’ll have to get that WD40 dry contact spray!

I loved the game but found the bosses pretty frustrating. For some reason the level 4 boss took me absolutely ages and I gave up on the next world even though I know I could've given it a few days rest and picked it up again. Glad I rented it so I had the chance to experience it. Fantastic game if you are skilful and patient

• 1 year later...

My better half only plays games occasionally and when she does she chooses to play one game obsessively, and at the moment this is the one. I watch her playing it and it flips my wig how tough it is, she’s great at it and it’s way beyond me whenever I have a quick go.

EXCEPT! She has been stuck for ages on the stupid boss level that is the three monkeys that throw bombs...anyone who has played this will know it. And after watching her fail many, many times, I joined in and eventually managed to do it for her. A victory has never been so sweet.

• 4 months later...

I had this on Wii U and seemed to have fond memories of it. I grabbed it on Switch when it came out but never really got around to playing. I only recently picked it up again and my goodness it's just so annoying and irritating. There are so many unnecessary annoyances that it almost feels like the developers didn't even play their own game! I'm really surprised at how I've went from thinking this was great to finding it so irritating I have to turn it off after a few minutes.