Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Funky Value Propositions

dataDave

Had a bit of a wave of apathy this week towards this game and I'm not sure I'll be picking it up after all. The reviews have confirmed what I suspected from the trailers: that it's a really competent, well-made game that contains virtually no surprises over and above its predecessor. It's a Nintendo franchise entry and little more.

Under other circumstances that might be enough but in the last year alone I've played New Super Mario U, New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Super Mario 3D World, and it's safe to say I'm completely platformed out. It seems to be part of Nintendo's unique problem that not only can they seemingly only produce one game every three months, when they do it's often in exactly the same genre as a lot of their other output. I like platform games as much as the next man (and I loved DKC:R in particular) but I really, really don't need another one right now.

Nice music, though.

Had a bit of a wave of apathy this week towards this game and I'm not sure I'll be picking it up after all. The reviews have confirmed what I suspected from the trailers: that it's a really competent, well-made game that contains virtually no surprises over and above its predecessor. It's a Nintendo franchise entry and little more.

Under other circumstances that might be enough but in the last year alone I've played New Super Mario U, New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Super Mario 3D World, and it's safe to say I'm completely platformed out. It seems to be part of Nintendo's unique problem that not only can they seemingly only produce one game every three months, when they do it's often in exactly the same genre as a lot of their other output. I like platform games as much as the next man (and I loved DKC:R in particular) but I really, really don't need another one right now.

Nice music, though.

I ended up cancelling my pre-order for exactly the same reason.. It's one of the first "big" Nintendo exclusives I've not picked up at launch for the WiiU, just hope it's not the start of a trend :unsure:

It looks a lot like Rayman Origins/Legends, gameplay wise.

Well, it is in the sense that it's a 2D platformer, but they could hardly be more different in feel. Rayman's lightweight and slapstick, this has much more of a sense of weight to it. As great as Legends is, I played the Xbox One version of that after playing this and it felt a little bit flimsy in places. Rayman's certainly the more inventive of the two, but I think there's a greater impetus to replaying levels in this, not least because of all the secret exits. It's strange how two ostensibly similar games in the same genre can do things so differently in fact, right down to the lives system.

I'm just not bothering with this one. I loved the original DKC, but DKCR just didn't do it for me, and with two Mario platformers still unfinished on our Wii U I don't feel a need for this. Sorry guys, sorry Iwata-San. Please understand!

For some reason the excitement in this post made me check the price on Amazon and when I saw it could be delivered tomorrow I accidentally bought this, LEGO City Undercover and Wonderful 101.

I hate you.

Don't hate him. You have just done yourself a great big lovely service.

My copy arrived yesterday, but only got through the first couple of levels. They seem longer than those in the last game. It is insanely pretty, though. But now EDF 2025 has arrived so I'm gonna have to come back to it.

So far so meh a few levels in. Levels are indeed looong, too long really. Button mappings are poor- it's like they've added too many moves and can't fit them all on the pad in an elegant way. It looks & sounds lush though! Hopefully things get more imaginative as we go...

Can you use the pro pad?

Yep. My controller of choice for my 3 hour session on it tonight.

My word, it's certainly a looker!. My wife had great fun pointing out various wildlife in the background of each level - woodpeckers! goats! crabs!! It's beautiful.

I'm probably going to skip this. Loved DKCR but it got bastard hard towards the end.

Might be because I'm a bit of an old fart now without the reflexes of 20 years ago, but reading how a) it's got rid of the super guide system (which I really needed on a couple of levels and thought was a good idea) and b) is supposedly one of the hardest platformers ever created, even harder than the original, I just don't think I could take the stress!

It's just running and jumping, how hard could a 2D platformer get? Outside of the ghouls and ghosts series.

One nice throwback I noticed is Cranky throwing teeth at enemies, might be just me but that immediately takes me back to DK Jr (G&W, though I think the NES version had them as enemies too)

If alternate costumes were a thing in this DK needs his Jr shirt back on.

(and Mario as a villain)

Looks great, sounds great, plays great. Oh retro you lovely people.

2 out of 3 ain't bad :P . Can't get to grip with the controls, too many times DK has gone spinning off along the ground when I didn't press the button to do it. Also the amount of trial and error in this game is crazy.

However, it does has the Windmill Hills music ( :wub: ), so the game is automatically awesome.

Edit: forgot to mention there's no way in hell I'm finishing this game without breaking something due to The Rage!