rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Qazimod

Stream Fighter! Rllmuk channels, tips on starting your own streams, etc.

Since a few of us have been getting in on the streaming action lately, I thought it might be worth listing a few channels here so that everyone has links to things. Maybe people can post here if they're planning to stream any particular events or things?

These are the rllmuk fightman channels I follow at the moment:

Lyrical Donut (match streams): http://www.twitch.tv/rllmukfighters/

Lyrical Donut (miscellaneous): http://www.twitch.tv/toasteroverheated/

alistarr: http://www.twitch.tv/alistarrr/

Me: http://www.twitch.tv/qazimod/

Yasawas: http://www.twitch.tv/yasawas/

joffocakes: http://www.twitch.tv/joffocakes/

I generally stream in the early evening although my software suffers occasional disconnects so I try not to do marathon broadcasts. I've done some solo SFIII broadcasts on ElSemi's emulator but trying to play that on a keyboard probably wasn't the best idea. Anyway, if anyone else has a personal channel, drop a link in here.

Edited by Qazimod
  • Upvote 5

Qazi’s notes for getting started on your own Twitch stream. Erm, on Windows.

For those of you who want to begin streaming your own matches and lobbies, it’s pretty straightforward and can be a lot of fun once you get used to how everything works. There are one or two prerequisites – you need a relatively decent PC and a solid internet connection – but setting things up doesn’t take long and you can get your software and streaming service for nothing, so there’s no harm in trying things out for the heck of it. Also for the purposes of this I’ll be covering Windows stuff, since I don’t have a Mac or anything.

As well as the hardware and internet service, you generally need three things to get started with streaming:

- a game that runs in a window. This might not be compulsory – you can stream your whole desktop if you want and then open a fullscreen application – but you want to keep an eye on your streaming software in case your connection drops or whatever.

- an account on a streaming service. The gamer’s choice is usually Twitch.tv, and it’s what I’ll be covering in these notes. You can sign up for a free account in minutes and from then on you’ll just have to put up with occasional ad breaks in your stream.

- software to broadcast your game to Twitch. Unlike stuff like Google Hangouts on Air (which isn’t really for game streaming but whatever) Twitch doesn’t provide software for streaming, just a place for people to go to watch your stream. Whilst a lot of people recommend XSplit I don’t know my way around it that well, so I use Open Broadcaster Software (hereafter referred to as OBS) – it’s free and really easy to use if you just want a no-frills stream of something.

Once you have all of these, launch OBS. You’ll see a bunch of buttons in the corner as well as your lists of scenes and sources. A “scene” will basically store your configuration settings for your stream, so if you want a slightly different setup for another stream, you can use a different scene. For now we’ll just be using the scene already provided. A “source” is a running application that you’ll be using in your stream – again we can just use one source for this example, which we’ll add in a minute.

2lM0QFB.jpg

Anyway, launch Street Fighter and make sure it’s set to run in a window (as per our notes up there.) With this done, Alt-Tab back to OBS and right-click in the “sources” box to add a stream source. Personally I use Window Capture since it covers more general settings. After naming the Window Capture you can then use the Window drop-down to select the game, and “Inner Window” to get rid of the Windows faff around the border. Nothing else is really needed here, so click OK.

eILTRiA.jpg

Now, click Preview Stream and you should see the game running in the main OBS application. Yay! One thing to note is that the game window might be squashed up in a corner of the OBS view – since this view represents what people will see on Twitch, you want to stretch the game to fill the view, so click Edit Scene to scale and move as necessary. From here it’s just a case of tweaking necessary settings with the Settings button on OBS. You can use the Encoding options to tweak your bitrates and whatnot, for example, but once you’re done, go to Broadcast Settings.

jpOoitf.jpg

Here, we can get OBS and Twitch to talk to one another, so set your Mode to Live Stream, your streaming service to Twitch and your server to the most appropriate location (e.g. the London UK server.) Next, go to the Twitch website, make sure you’re logged in and click your username, then go to Dashboard. There should be a link at the right named “Stream Key” and you can copy this key, go back to OBS’ Broadcast Settings and paste it into Play Path/Stream Key (if any), before clicking Apply, OK, etc.

hfHPmvs.jpg

That should be everything, so stop your stream preview if it’s still running, and then go to Start Streaming to, uh, start streaming. Yay!

• Upvote 7

Qazis notes for getting started on your own YouTube stream. Erm, on Windows.

As YouTube has rejoined the streaming party with its live streaming beta tools, I recently had a look to see how it works, and happily it's pretty straightforward if you've already got OBS and are familiar with the streaming basics. After signing in you can go to the My Channel page in YouTube's menu, click the Video Manager link, and then you'll see the Live Streaming (Beta) link in the Creator Studio navigation bar. When you click "Stream now" you'll see a preview of your stream, some fields for adding a title, category, description etc, and a few tips about how to get started in the "Live Streaming Checklist" on the right.

Vhg7nYD.jpg

Whilst Youtube tried live streaming before with Hangouts, it was pretty bad as it only really used your connected webcam. This time around, you can get the stream to talk to your desktop application (OBS, XSplit, etc) so you can broadcast windows of games etc. In the Encoder Setup section (see image above) you'll see a server URL and Stream Key which you can use in your application, so open OBS and go to your Broadcast Settings (under settings) and select Custom as the streaming service (I wouldn't recommend selecting YouTube as the service, since the version of OBS might have outdated YouTube stream information).

e147pQF.jpg

You can then copy the Server URL into the FMS URL field and the key into the Play Path / Stream Key field, click OK and click Start Streaming. Provided this is all working you should see a preview of the Stream in the Youtube page in your browser, so you should be ready to go :)

Qazi’s notes for using XSplit Broadcaster instead of OBS for your Twitch stream! Erm, on Windows.

Okay, so a while ago I abandoned OBS because I was getting tired of the constant audio desync issues I was having – no matter how many times I shifted the delay one way or the other, it would either sound wrong, or become messed up when I tried streaming something else the next day. Happily, XSplit Broadcaster has proven to be pretty good, and if you’re familiar with OBS then the setup isn’t too scary. This time, you’ll need the XSplit Broadcaster software, a game with a windowed mode (so that you can keep an eye on stream stuff) and an account on a streaming service such as Twitch. Oh, you’ll also need to register an account to use the software, but this is free.

hBImK4L.jpg

Once you’ve started the application and logged in, you can hit the Continue button to skip the splash and then launch Street Fighter! Again, make sure it’s running in a window, then Alt-Tab to XSplit Broadcaster, and click the Add button in the lower-left, just below the white space. Just like OBS, you can pick Game Capture to select whatever game is running, and it will appear in the stream preview. Using the white borders, you can move and resize this however you like.

UwRmR2m.jpg

We’re almost done; we just need to get XSplit Broadcaster and Twitch to talk to each other, so go to the Outputs menu and click Set up a new output before selecting Twitch. After clicking the Authorise button you’ll get a Twitch popup prompting you to log in with your Twitch account details, and it’ll find a suitable target server for your stream. After selecting this and checking the recommended output, you can either tweak properties of your output or just hit OK to close. Then, when you’re ready to broadcast, go to the Outputs menu and the Twitch account you just linked!

https://www.xsplit.com/broadcaster/download

I normally post up streams of GTAV sessions, larking about on COD MW and Everybody’s Golf tournaments. Odd times Fifa too but the community for that here has died.

I’ll be sure to drop a link here next time, though I don’t do much with cameras or green screens, just audio.