On 10 February 2020 at 14:59, grounded_dreams said:

Yeah the A Quiet Night In episode is one of my favourites, is a lovely nod to the classic Jules Dassin, Rififi

Not sure about the Rope comparison, this one isn't a one shot. You maybe thinking of Psychoville's Play for Today.

You are right, of course. So easy to get them mixed up.

8 hours ago, Timmo said:

Hang on, I've been planning to watch Psychoville. Should I watch that before I watch this episode?

Yeah, skip this and watch Psychoville. 

I thought that was amazing. Can't believe we got another episode of it after all these years. Not sure if it worked as an episode of Inside No. 9 though. 

I hadn't watched that much of psychoville so only got the Mr Jelly reference - I probably would have got a lot more from it if I knew the characters as it was I thought it was just ok - some great lines in it and a few disturbing scenes!

I don't know much about Psychoville but I really enjoyed that. "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater," etc.

Great episode.

Edit: I just read that Psychoville was 'unfairly pulled' after 2 series. Surely a reference to the door number at the start.

10 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I don't know much about Psychoville but I really enjoyed that. "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater," etc.

Great episode.

Edit: I just read that Psychoville was 'unfairly pulled' after 2 series. Surely a reference to the door number at the start.

In the podcast (which is very good) they said it was because the psychoville characters flat was number 2 so they kept the continuity.

16 hours ago, merman said:

Ugh. That one creeped me out.

Hide contents

Hated the scene with the baby.

Also, not entirely convinced by the twist. Yes, it was clever but not sure there was enough motivation for her to murder David AND her husband.

Spoiler

She wasn't motivated to commit murder, in the traditional story sense.  She was possessed / motivated by the ghost of David's mother.

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hide contents

She wasn't motivated to commit murder, in the traditional story sense.  She was possessed / motivated by the ghost of David's mother.

Spoiler

Hmm, I don't think they *showed* any possession / motivation though. To me it seemed like she was just creeped out by David and picked up the knife...

2 minutes ago, merman said:

Hide contents

Hmm, I don't think they *showed* any possession / motivation though. To me it seemed like she was just creeped out by David and picked up the knife...

Spoiler

In the accompanying podcast the writers said they hoped that they'd given enough of a clue through an earlier line where her husband says something like 'But you're susceptible...' hinting that she's got a bit of past history of being slightly psychic, or whatever.  Perhaps too subtle?

If I’m remembering right,

Spoiler

I thought it clear enough it wasn’t her doing it, that there was something else at play. And wasn’t it just after that the mum ghost told David something about it being alright because they’ll be together now, suggesting it was her doing?

Some great acting in the one tonight. It was like a tribute to Ken Loach.

Spoiler

I didn't feel there was an implication that the brother in law was involved. Surely there would have been a heavier hint..?

Perhaps we are now geared towards looking for a twist when there isn't one. It could just be a coincidence of course.

My feeling is they left it open-ended to add a sense of mystery.

I went back and watched that penultimate scene. It is a blink and you'll miss it line.

Spoiler

"Hit and run, apparently."

So I'm now thinking it was the brother in law. Though the mother colluded with him. They shared an earlier scene where he wanted to give her a Christmas present.

Otherwise why is he in it at all, and so prominently as the 'driver' in the piece.

Great episode.

Spoiler

Surely it was the mum alone that ran over the loan shark. She knew about the missing money and therefore, presumably, the full story about the loan shark. When she asks Reece to sort out car window repairs she was listening in to his phone call without trying to raise suspicion. The only thing I didn’t get was the relevance of Reece’s grief (his wife?) unless the family mum had something to do with that as well....

Cracking episode anyway!

5 hours ago, strider said:

Just discovered this on Netflix and watched the first two seasons. Is there going to be anything better than that Sheridan smith episode?

Probably not, but it's still well worth watching the rest. I think Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room (season 4, IIRC) isn't too far off it, and the cryptic-crossword one that @kittygotwet alluded to is incredibly clever; likewise the reverse-chronology episode in season 4. The live episode was brilliant at the time, but doesn't have the same impact on a rewatch. And The Devil of Christmas has probably one of the most disturbing endings to a half-hour of TV I've ever seen. 

23 minutes ago, Popo said:

Loved that, glad it wasn’t a sour, depressing ending. 

Hide contents

I assumed it was Steve Pemberton who ‘did it’, but it could equally have been Reece Shearsmith given the driving connection. 

Spoiler

Surely it was the mother. Why else include the bit about her pranging the car?