rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Professor Puzzles

Inside No.9

I've always loved the thing that gives you wishes but it's cursed. Is the monkey hand thing originally from the Twilight zone? I thought the final ending was a bit daft but it was in keeping with the tone.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I've always loved the thing that gives you wishes but it's cursed. Is the monkey hand thing originally from the Twilight zone? I thought the final ending was a bit daft but it was in keeping with the tone.

I haven't seen that Twilight Zone episode but the original 1902 short story was written by W.W. Jacobs.

Here's the full text..

https://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw

• Upvote 1

I thought it was ok. Good setup, I like monkey’s paw vibe. The ending worked too.

Unfortunately the characterisation was slight and the acting was a little wooden. It didn’t really gel.

Also didn’t understand why they thought they’d only get one wish each rather than three!? And the ending was a little abrupt and didn’t technically deliver on the premise of a backfiring wish.

Still, mediocre IN9 is better than no IN9.

I thought this was the weakest series though.

My favourite eps so far:

1. The Devil of Christmas

2. A Quiet Night In

3. Riddle of the Sphinx

4. Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room

5. La Couchette

Honorable mentions for 12 Days of Christine, Once Removed, The Harrowing, Tom & Gerri, Cold Comfort.

56 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

My favourite eps so far:

1. The Devil of Christmas

2. A Quiet Night In

3. Riddle of the Sphinx

4. Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room

5. La Couchette

Can't disagree with that list. I really enjoyed last nights, I found it very unnerving, but I spook easily anyway. But 90% of the episodes are interesting and have something unique about them, I am really glad it's coming back. It's weird, although I love their other stuff, I didn't pick up on Inside no 9 until I watched The Devil of Christmas, which was a phenomenal piece of TV. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JPickford said:

Wasn't that hare statue the one that's been in every episode?

Yes. Which means you can now retcon all the terrible things that happened in all the other episodes as being the hare’s curse, if you’re so inclined.

• Upvote 2

I didn't get on with this one either, sadly, but I'll spoiler my moaning so you've only yourself to blame:

Spoiler

* Pemberton character being completely unfazed by the suicide video.

* And then helpfully making with the exposition after clobbering his mate.

* Clumsy foreshadowing of a bowling ball stored above head height.

* Not that it really matters, but why put the Monopoly money - presumably from the box - in a bag under the floorboards? That was a weird detail that felt shoehorned in to justify a weak and well-telegraphed punchline (itself made redundant almost immediately by the discovery of the actual money).

* Tiny Tim showing up in the last ten seconds. Do we think Shearsmith's character deliberately had him teleported to the flat as an act of revenge? That wouldn't be a backfire, though, as grindmouse says, and doesn't seem to fit with Shearsmith's lines. So did he wish for the kid to be teleported to the death flat with working legs?  Well, I suppose he'd had a bump on the head.

I liked Planer's matter-of-fact return, but overall I think this was the episode that suffered the most from the time constraint. I think this season has several examples where the writing doesn't do justice to the concept, for whatever reason. And factoring in the regularly excellent performances, I'm left feeling like a teacher giving the 'I know you can do better' speech. I'll watch if there's a next series, for sure, but I think it needs some kind of shot in the arm, even if it's as simple as an extra 15 minutes.

• Upvote 3

I really enjoyed the last episode, and the series overall. I think a lot of the criticisms levelled at it are actually about things they’ve put in knowingly. They’re jokes based on the conventions of whichever type of story they’re doing. The Basil Exposition moment for example - totally in keeping. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2018 at 07:31, Pete said:

I love the Ripping Yarns version. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I love the Ripping Yarns version. 

The fact it reminds you that Maidenhead exists in the first 5 seconds is terryfing already.

On 2/8/2018 at 16:47, Rowan Morrison said:

I didn't get on with this one either, sadly, but I'll spoiler my moaning so you've only yourself to blame:

Hide contents

* Not that it really matters, but why put the Monopoly money - presumably from the box - in a bag under the floorboards? That was a weird detail that felt shoehorned in to justify a weak and well-telegraphed punchline (itself made redundant almost immediately by the discovery of the actual money).

I it that the monopoly money was in the game box and the real money was under the floorboards until the wish was made and then the curse swapped them round

• Upvote 1

I was enjoying it but they seemed to give up on the core concept halfway through.

Traditionally, these 'cursed wish' stories have the wishes backfiring in an ironic manner, and the episode initially seems to run with this. He wishes for his wife to lose weight and she gets cancer, causing her to lose weight as she dies? Grimly ironic. He gives his brother cursed money to go on holiday, where he dies in an accident? Not quite as thematically tight, but still ironic as the money leads to the purchase of a holiday which leads to death. So it seems to establish a rule of ironic backfiring and then kills everyone off in ways which are decidedly unironic. 

Girl wishes for money and then dies by accidentally starting a chain reaction which ends with a nail from a loose floorboard in her skull? Not ironic because it has nothing to do with the money itself being cursed, it's just a random death. Man wishes for child to be able to walk again (and teleport to the house?) whereupon he and everyone else die in a fire caused by his father starting a gas leak? Not ironic, because his ability to walk again is completely unrelated to the manner of the misfortune. An ironic backfire would be if his newfound ability to walk again was an integral part of the unfolding events. I'm not even sure what the backfire of the rat coming back to life was meant to be - that it was killed again imeediately? I guess that's pretty funny. 

Basically it sets up a well worn concept and then eschews it for deaths which aren't linked to the wish thematically, which is always the most interesting part of these cursed wish stories. I'm not sure why they did that because it's the ironic nature of the death that really makes these type of stories work, and is why this episode left me feeling disappointed.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, Majora said:

I was enjoying it but they seemed to give up on the core concept halfway through.

Hide contents

Traditionally, these 'cursed wish' stories have the wishes backfiring in an ironic manner, and the episode initially seems to run with this. He wishes for his wife to lose weight and she gets cancer, causing her to lose weight as she dies? Grimly ironic. He gives his brother cursed money to go on holiday, where he dies in an accident? Not quite as thematically tight, but still ironic as the money leads to the purchase of a holiday which leads to death. So it seems to establish a rule of ironic backfiring and then kills everyone off in ways which are decidedly unironic. 

Girl wishes for money and then dies by accidentally starting a chain reaction which ends with a nail from a loose floorboard in her skull? Not ironic because it has nothing to do with the money itself being cursed, it's just a random death. Man wishes for child to be able to walk again (and teleport to the house?) whereupon he and everyone else die in a fire caused by his father starting a gas leak? Not ironic, because his ability to walk again is completely unrelated to the manner of the misfortune. An ironic backfire would be if his newfound ability to walk again was an integral part of the unfolding events. I'm not even sure what the backfire of the rat coming back to life was meant to be - that it was killed again imeediately? I guess that's pretty funny. 

Basically it sets up a well worn concept and then eschews it for deaths which aren't linked to the wish thematically, which is always the most interesting part of these cursed wish stories. I'm not sure why they did that because it's the ironic nature of the death that really makes these type of stories work, and is why this episode left me feeling disappointed.

Brilliantly put and spot on.

They're doing a live Halloween special!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/comedy

Inside No.9, the award winning and critically acclaimed anthology series created by and starring Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith, will be returning to BBC Two this October for a special Halloween edition.

As with all previous episodes of Inside No.9, this brand new 30 minute story promises to be a twisted tale which will aim to surprise, delight, unnerve and amuse in equal measure. Full storyline information and casting details will be revealed in due course, but aside from being a Halloween special this particular tale will have one very large and noticeable difference unlike all other Inside No.9’s before it, as this episode will be broadcast to the nation completely live.

• Upvote 2

Oooh, feel bad for whoever was in charge of photoshopping that image. They seem to have accidentally left an extra pair of hands on the tombstone. There are only two people but 5 hands.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 4

I'm pretty sure Capwn is taking the piss as it's obviously international. No photo shop, heard Reece say in an interview how much he loved doing the promo shoot for this at night in a graveyard.