Indeed. Unless he has close relatives who'd miss him then no one else would really notice or care. We know she has parents who'd presumably expect to go to a funeral, but I guess she could come up with something (or even just tell them he'd walked out rather than died).

Yeah I suppose none of it really bears any close examination as it throws up more questions than answers.

Spoiler

The maid and the boy looked remarkably well, physically and mentally, considering what had happened.

How could he have built that room and kept everything quiet, including a new born baby? 

Wouldn't the authorities already have had a missing persons report for the maid? 

Etc.

I still really enjoyed it, if that's the right word, but like a few of these they don't bear any real scrutiny.

Latest one was incredibly weak. The set-up was completely inconsequential (who cares who wins the award?), there was no real dramatic impetus and as a comedy piece it was only occasionally amusing. 

I also had the twist down within about ten minutes, because what else could it possibly be that would matter? But in the end, who cares? Probably one of the worst episodes of the whole run for me. 

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

I was just enjoying it as a straightforward character based comedy and completely forgot that there was even going to be a twist.

Stephen Berkoff had all the best lines.

Wasn't he killed by heavy electicity some years back?

For me it was between Harvey Moon and Noah Claypole. 

I've always loved the thing that gives you wishes but it's cursed. Is the monkey hand thing originally from the Twilight zone? I thought the final ending was a bit daft but it was in keeping with the tone.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I've always loved the thing that gives you wishes but it's cursed. Is the monkey hand thing originally from the Twilight zone? I thought the final ending was a bit daft but it was in keeping with the tone.

I haven't seen that Twilight Zone episode but the original 1902 short story was written by W.W. Jacobs.

Here's the full text..

https://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw

56 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

My favourite eps so far:

1. The Devil of Christmas

2. A Quiet Night In

3. Riddle of the Sphinx

4. Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room

5. La Couchette

Can't disagree with that list. I really enjoyed last nights, I found it very unnerving, but I spook easily anyway. But 90% of the episodes are interesting and have something unique about them, I am really glad it's coming back. It's weird, although I love their other stuff, I didn't pick up on Inside no 9 until I watched The Devil of Christmas, which was a phenomenal piece of TV. 

8 hours ago, JPickford said:

Wasn't that hare statue the one that's been in every episode?

Yes. Which means you can now retcon all the terrible things that happened in all the other episodes as being the hare’s curse, if you’re so inclined.

I didn't get on with this one either, sadly, but I'll spoiler my moaning so you've only yourself to blame:

Spoiler

* Pemberton character being completely unfazed by the suicide video.

* And then helpfully making with the exposition after clobbering his mate.

* Clumsy foreshadowing of a bowling ball stored above head height.

* Not that it really matters, but why put the Monopoly money - presumably from the box - in a bag under the floorboards? That was a weird detail that felt shoehorned in to justify a weak and well-telegraphed punchline (itself made redundant almost immediately by the discovery of the actual money).

* Tiny Tim showing up in the last ten seconds. Do we think Shearsmith's character deliberately had him teleported to the flat as an act of revenge? That wouldn't be a backfire, though, as grindmouse says, and doesn't seem to fit with Shearsmith's lines. So did he wish for the kid to be teleported to the death flat with working legs?  Well, I suppose he'd had a bump on the head.

I liked Planer's matter-of-fact return, but overall I think this was the episode that suffered the most from the time constraint. I think this season has several examples where the writing doesn't do justice to the concept, for whatever reason. And factoring in the regularly excellent performances, I'm left feeling like a teacher giving the 'I know you can do better' speech. I'll watch if there's a next series, for sure, but I think it needs some kind of shot in the arm, even if it's as simple as an extra 15 minutes.

On 07/02/2018 at 07:31, Pete said:

I love the Ripping Yarns version. 

On 2/8/2018 at 16:47, Rowan Morrison said:

I didn't get on with this one either, sadly, but I'll spoiler my moaning so you've only yourself to blame:

Hide contents

* Not that it really matters, but why put the Monopoly money - presumably from the box - in a bag under the floorboards? That was a weird detail that felt shoehorned in to justify a weak and well-telegraphed punchline (itself made redundant almost immediately by the discovery of the actual money).

I it that the monopoly money was in the game box and the real money was under the floorboards until the wish was made and then the curse swapped them round