rllmuk
Flub

Marvel Puzzle Quest - F2P Match 3 with Wolverine

I thought I'd start up a thread for this one since I've started playing. I tried it when it first launched in preview but didn't get into it. It's improved a lot since then. Basically it's a cross between Puzzle Quest and Puzzle & Dragons. Standard Puzzle Quest match 3 gameplay but you collect Marvel characters to do the fighting. Each of which has different attacks and skills to level up.

Timer based but timers are the health of your characters rather then a single block of energy meaning there are easy ways to maximise gameplay once you get enough characters.

8EGc4nk.png

I haven't played it much yet but you use comic book covers to increase your characters skills and ISO-8 to level them up. These days I'm told you should really only use you coins (IAP) to increase the amount of comic covers you can store.

Like Puzzle & Dragons this has very good daily rewards but I think you have to play a game before you get them. If you're in a hurry I'd suggest level 1-1 for speed :)

Unlike Puzzle & Dragons it does cloud saves via Facebook so you can switch devices easily.

Anyone else playing?

• Upvote 1

I've lost everything to this game and I don't know why. I've played SHITLOADS but am on my phone at the minute so can't elaborate.

Played it a fair bit at first but I could feel the hand in my pocket and I just felt uncomfortable. Deliberately confusing mechanics let it down.

Wrote a little Steam review for it.

It's alright, the F2P aspect makes itself very well known but once you get your head around the very unclear leveling/character system it's... Ok. Without repeating quests or paying money I managed to get to the six hour mark easily enough and just now everything is leaning towards the whole F2P pay, wait or grind scenario.

Story - not good; characters all seem to have the same personality, good guys are good and make quips, bad guys are psychos.

Gameplay, Puzzle quest with a F2P backbone, if you're not really into Marvel I'd definitely suggest just buying one of the many other PQ games during the holiday sales.

Graphics, not particularly great, first gen Pokemon style battle animations and the cut-scenes are just character heads and text so make what you will.

Sound, decent enough, I haven't noticed any irritating music yet but there's no voice-overs.

Overall I can only really recommend it if you're a big fan of Marvel, Puzzle Quest and either have spare cash/a lot of patience/Only have time to play a couple of hours a day.

You need an entire team of Wolverines. Dark Wolverine, Cyborb Wolverine, Brony Wolverine, LGBT Wolverine, Stripper Wolverine and Deadpool Wolverine.

Played it a fair bit at first but I could feel the hand in my pocket and I just felt uncomfortable. Deliberately confusing mechanics let it down.

Wrote a little Steam review for it.

It's alright, the F2P aspect makes itself very well known but once you get your head around the very unclear levelling/character system it's... Ok. Without repeating quests or paying money I managed to get to the six hour mark easily enough and just now everything is leaning towards the whole F2P pay, wait or grind scenario.

Story - not good; characters all seem to have the same personality, good guys are good and make quips, bad guys are psycos.

Gameplay, Puzzle quest with a F2P backbone, if you're not really into Marvel I'd definitely sugest just buying one of the many other PQ games during the holiday sales.

Graphics, not particularly great, first gen Pokemon style battle animations and the cutscenes are just character heads and text so make what you will.

Sound, decent enough, I haven't noticed any irritating music yet but there's no voiceovers.

Overall I can only really recomend it if you're a big fan of Marvel, Puzzle Quest and either have spare cash/a lot of patience/Only have time to play a couple of hours a day.

The idea behind these games is generally grinding the arse out of them. Certainly not for everyone and they're not expecting people to be able to play them constantly. I think I'd get rapidly sick of them if I could play Puzzle & Dragons and this without stopping for breath :) It certainly hurt my enjoyment of the Doctor Who version. Although grinding in that is really dull anyway. Tend to agree with your review though. If you're not a Marvel fan and don't like this style of game there are better alternatives.

Must have been drunk when I wrote that as I don't usually make that many spelling mistakes. :coffee:

But yeah, if you're in the F2P mentality it's probably worth playing, I can't emphasize how much I dislike the manipulative nature of games like this and Candy Crush etc...

I find I don't mind dropping some cash on occasion if I've been enjoying myself. Depends on how much I feel they're taking the piss. In P&D I tend to buy some currency during Godfests because the game never expects me to buy it any other time and I respect that. Marvel PQ seems a bit seedier but not as bad as some games (Looking at you Mythic/EA you cunts). I'd have enjoyed that new Ultima F2P game if it didn't have EA's grasping little shitty F2P hands all over it.

Candy Crush can fuck off though. My mum plays that to death.

Question. I need covers to upgrade my skills and iso8 to gain levels. iso 8 you can basically slowly farm by grinding levels which isn't a problem. It's quite mindlessly entertaining. But how do I farm for the chance for covers to drop? Each level has a set number of rewards and after that I believe will only drop the default ISO8. So where do the covers come from when you hit a difficulty wall? I'm approaching that now part way through the Juggernaut levels. I can't do PvP or events. They're far too high level for me.

Rewards are random so after the first win you could get 20iso lots after before getting the other rewards. Shield training is good when you are at a low level. Who do you have in your roster? I'd agree you shouldn't spend coins on anything but roster places.

I'd advise going back and doing any fights you can win fairly comfortably that have random cover reward tokens. They are random covers so you could get a big hitter to really bolster your squad.

If a mission has 4 rewards does that mean you can only get those rewards once and then 20 iso after or can you hit the reward as often as it likes?

No, once for anything different to 20iso but you might get lots of 20iso before getting all the rewards.

I find this game is like crack.

Another good tip is that you only have to win one or two fights in the regular pvp rounds to get a cover. You can skip teams that are too strong without penalty and you often up with a stronger character in these (it's Daredevil now) and some of the story fights too, so they can be easy wins.

Get on the PvP, as DC mentions you can skip tough match ups and some of the events start you against low level teams so you'll be able to win a few rounds.

Then it's just grinding away.

I'm nearly 70 days in on the continuous play counter (another good way to get covers).

I've now got 5 characters maxed out in skills / levels and working on my 6th.

A great little time waster of a game, just what I want on my phone.

It's also key to know you can't level up every power to 5 - it's a max of 13 across two / three powers. Some powers are a lot worse than others.

No, once for anything different to 20iso but you might get lots of 20iso before getting all the rewards.

I find this game is like crack.

Which brings me back to my original question. If I've already got all the cover rewards but have hit a difficulty spike how do I level up my powers? If I go back to a fight with a random cover reward (Only one at the moment) all I'll get is 20 iso

Get on the PvP, as DC mentions you can skip tough match ups and some of the events start you against low level teams so you'll be able to win a few rounds.

Then it's just grinding away.

I'm nearly 70 days in on the continuous play counter (another good way to get covers).

I've now got 5 characters maxed out in skills / levels and working on my 6th.

A great little time waster of a game, just what I want on my phone.

I've never seen a PvP match yet that's appropriate to my level. Plenty of people level 17 and above though.

*Edit* Aha. I see! There's a skip buttom

Yeah Sheild training is your best option at the moment. There is definitely SOME matchmaking going on as I'm up against huge levels in that now. I think you'll get some good covers for modern storm, iron man and black widow who are all great characters to stick with. I still use all three as their powers are so good.

So teaming up matches are good as you get CPU characters and if you order them correctly on the select screen you can use them as meat shields. Order also dictates who has icons on the board so think about that too.

You can also drag left on the opponents and see how many action points they have and if they are going to activate a damaging move put in a sacrifice by making them make the next move, to take the hit. Juggernauts red attack is a fucker to watch for.

Sorry for the bitty nature of this. I'm on a pad and hate typing on it and also have a shit memory.

Another good tip is that you only have to win one or two fights in the regular pvp rounds to get a cover. You can skip teams that are too strong without penalty and you often up with a stronger character in these (it's Daredevil now) and some of the story fights too, so they can be easy wins.

This is changing so that there's a 10 iso cost to skip fights. Not there yet though so abuse while you still can.

From http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2819

I really liked this, then discovered that people were tanking tournaments, ie intentionally losing fights so they got easier match ups in future tournaments due to the matchmaking system used. Went off it for a while then went back. It's good fun for a blast here and there, but it's also a hell of a battery drain. Don't play anything else on my mobile now.

Joined the alliance :)

I literally am addicted to this game :)

Who are everyone's best/favourite characters? I like storm classic and always try and level up her blue power - stuns one and damages all...also wolverine (2 star version) has become a recent discovery :) Still not sure what my best team is though...

I've been using Thor/Wolverine/Black Widow (the 2 star versions) for quite a while now, since before the well deserved nerf. Black Widow's espionage ability (where it does extra damage on certain matches) also gains from having strike tiles on the board, so it's like a double bonus, and Thor is a pretty good tank.

I'm currently leveling Classic Storm and Hawkeye, and debating using either Captain America or Ares to finish a second team of 2 star max level characters. Maybe replacing Hawkeye with Daken. I'd really like a 3 star team, but I need some more covers and from what I understand the match damage of 3 star characters only matches that of a level 85 2 star character when they reach level 92ish, iirc.

Astonishing Wolverine, Daken & modern Storm are my current go to. Match greens for attack up reds, feral claws from Wolverine and hailstorm from Storm (who should never get hit) deals with most things pretty well with end of turn I direct damage.

My favourite thing about the alliance do far? We're 4 spots above giant bomb in the latest event!

• Upvote 1