rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sng

PlanetSide 2 - PS4

From IGN:

What is Planetside 2?
Planetside 2 is a massive multiplayer first person shooter. Three space-going Factions battle in endless war for control of scarce planetary Resources. The game owes spiritual ancestry to a number of contributors, including futuristic FPS games like Tribes and massive campaign-based games like Battleground Europe.
Planetside 2 is built on a Free to Play model.
How Do I Start?
Characters in Planetside 2 are divided into three Factions: the Terran Republic, Vanu Sovereignty, and New Conglomerate. Once you choose an allegiance for a new character, that character is forever locked into that faction. Don't sweat the choice too much for your first character. Go with the theme you appreciate most.

he Terrans are straightforward in methodology and equipment. Their armament reflects their conservative disposition. They rely on firearms and a tactical balance between offense and defense. The Conglomerate are rebels with a more rough, fly-by-night feel to their arsenal. Think Browncoats. The Vanu are cultic technofetishists and rely on sleek energy weapons.

As it's launching on PS4 soon I thought I'd start this to see who is up for some regular play.

Very much up for it although

1) How bad is the free to play model? Is it like Blacklight where you have to play 400 games to put a scope on your gun unless you pay?

2) Can't think of 2

I played it a bit on PC. As far as I can remember the FtP model wasn't too annoying, I certainly didn't feel the need to pay anything.

The main problem I found was actually getting to the action. Quite a lot of time was spent driving/flying to the active battle zones only to find that the action had moved somewhere else.

When you do manage to get into a large scale battle it is pretty cool (albeit sometimes a bit of a clusterfuck) with loads of tanks, planes and troops all going at it. Oh and it's not particularly vehicle centric either, infantry are definitely still powerful.

From. Y limited experience of this on the pc, it can be very very good, or very boring with more time spent running to the action (if you can work out where to go) than spent shooting. Only to get shot very quickly when you get there, then need to run all the way back again. I'll be trying it out though.