rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Greatest Game Boy games

Doing a feature for the mag as we don't cover the Game Boy a lot and it's the 25th anniversary coming up.

Let us know your favourite original game boy games (we'll cover color ones at a later date.

Just give us your top 5 with 1st place being given to your favourite game.

From best to worst fifth best:

1. Tetris - it's Tetris.

2. Dr. Mario - another essential puzzler with simple but moreish gameplay and some great music ("chill" ftw!)

3. Super Mario Land 2 - sure, it's stupidly easy and can be completed in under an hour by anyone but it has the same "feel" and atmosphere of the great 8-bit games and it's fun to replay and enjoy numerous times...

4. Kirby's Dream Land - as much as I'd like to include KDL 2 I never got to play it before getting into emulation, so it'll have to be the first game. Ace music and fun environments make this one of the great GB platformers.

5. Balloon Kid - there's probably a bit of nostalgia in this vote, but the gameplay in this was nice and challenging - trying to navigate Alice around the spiky hazards, taking a risk and releasing your balloons to take an alternate path and catch them again on the way out, Wakka Wakka Wolf... there's plenty to enjoy. :)

• Upvote 2

1. Super Mario Land: Has there ever been a game that demonstrated so starkly that pretty graphics are always secondary to playability?

2. Link's Awakening. IT WAS ALL A DREAM! Yeah, but it didn't matter because the dream was awesome and given the limitations of the hardware, it was amazing how much depth they crammed in to something so primitive.

3. Escape From Camp Deadly: Speech in a game was my wtf moment. Had immense fun with it, in spite of shonky hit detection on occasion.

4. Dr. Franken. Lush graphics combined with a moody soundtrack and a rock-hard castle to explore. Brill.

5. Krusty's Fun House: A pocket version of the awesome puzzler. Loved it from start to finish, back to the start and back to the finish again.

1. Worms - okay, the graphics were even worse on that tiny, monochrome screen. But I could play multiplayer Worms when visiting computer-less relatives in France! Best thing ever.

2. Golf - the second best golf game of all time (Everybody's Golf pips it). A genre that begs to be played on the go, this was a constant companion on trips to France.

3. Wario Land - a solid little platformer. Never finished it, but by far the best (not-quite-)Mario game I ever played.

Those are the only three Gameboy games I have fond memories of owning. Never owned the Metroid or Kirby games, mind.

• Upvote 1

Haven't really played much on the GB over the years.

1. Zelda Links Awakening - Definitely my top game on the system and was one I got to play around 96 or so. Loved it, not quite as much as the Snes game (as it was shorter anyway) but definitely enjoyable

2. Wario Land - Enjoyed this trying to get everything to finish the game with the castle or something along those lines.

3. Megaman 2 - Another quality game I managed to finish and enjoyed. Pretty much the only real MM game (aside from Legends) that I've played properly, despite the series looking really appealing to me.

4. Supermario Land - a classic and iconic title, one of the first games I played on a friend's GB while quite young and years before I really got the chance to play them on my Super Gameboy years later.

5. Tetris - The version of the game I always visualise as the defacto standard original. It may have been on other things outside of this, but this is the first time I ever saw it. Tbh though, I'm not a huge fan of the game, but i'd have to place it in here.

Metroid II may have been up here if I'd have ever had the chance to play it. Unfortunately I haven't done as of yet.

1. Worms - okay, the graphics were even worse on that tiny, monochrome screen. But I could play multiplayer Worms when visiting computer-less relatives in France! Best thing ever.

Yeah, I played loads of Worms on the GB. Worked surprisingly well.

Worms was terrific, but the enemy AI was beyond dunderheaded, which was a shame.

You need to talk about the Pocket Camera too, even though it's not a game as such.

• Upvote 1

2. Golf - the second best golf game of all time (Everybody's Golf pips it). A genre that begs to be played on the go, this was a constant companion on trips to France.

Forgot about that one, that was a great game and I shall remove the much-wanted but ultimately a bit disappointing Revenge of the Gator I think. Looking back, I didn't really play that many gameboy games really, didn't really have the money as a kid.

Oof, my gb games are in storage! Will try from the top of my head!

1. Tetris - my favourite! Maybe quick drop would be nice else great! On my 3ds homescreen

2. Zelda Links Awakening - my first zelda

3. Pokemon red/blue

4. Kirby - soo easy but soo fun. Stereo music was wild!

5. megaman 3 - the one I had, as a kid I couldn't get every one, maybe other numbered ones are better but this is the one I have

Just outside DK 94, I feelbad as its great!

1. Link's Awakening

2. Pokemon Red / Blue

3. Warioland

4. Metroid II

5. Mole Mania - Only discovered this a couple of years ago, a real hidden gem :)