rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mdn2

Closest thing to universal praise for a game?

Half Life 2 is pretty shonky if you judge it solely as an FPS.

On the other hand, if you judge it as an SF walk-about-and-look-around-at-the-pretty-environments-while-getting-totally-fucked-off-by-the-bone-headed-ai-of-your-so-called-allies-that-you-would-dearly-love-to-machine-gun-in-the-face-but-the-stupid-game-won't-let-you-'em-up, it's pretty much peerless.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Oh shit, how could I forget Minecraft.

It's not a game...

My immediate reaction was Tetris, i agree about super monkey ball - what about arcade games like Daytona, Sega rally, Outrun & ridge racer?

• Downvote 1

Super Monkey Ball was a good call. So easy to play, so difficult to master. Impossibly cute. Can't think of anyone who actively dislikes that, even a small blast is smiles.

As in universally praised, what about Trials HD? Everybody loves Trials HD.

I could never get into it. I bought it in a sale and played it on and off for a couple of weeks but can't get the love for it at all.

Resident Evil...2.

Who the fuck doesn't like it?

Millions of people inc me, horrible controls and just so bloody slow paced. RE4 on the other hand, universally loved by all ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Millions of people inc me, horrible controls and just so bloody slow paced. RE4 was exactly the same, only applied to a third-person shooter instead of a horror game.

Corrected that for you ;)
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mario 64? If there's a person on Earth that didn't love that I pity the emptiness of their soul.

*cough*

As the title, really. In the 'Trouble with Nintendo' topic, Wiper is having to defend himself because he doesn't like Mario or Zelda games.

Sonic 1 on the Megadrive? I've never met anyone who said they didn't like it. How anyone could not have fun running through Green Hill even today would blow my mind.

Has to be Doom.

Good call.

• Upvote 1

Galaxy??

I still mean to try it. Not usually enjoying platformers means I'm not too hopeful, but I have to give it a go. Eventually.

Rez?

No. On release it got a lot of criticism for being too short and easy, for being just an on-rails shooter not much more advanced than Panzer Dragoon, and some people dismissed all the talk of synesthesia and Kandinsky as pretentious stuff designed purely to appeal to Edge readers. :)

I don't think we'll be able to find anything that everyone in this thread agrees on. But then, does any medium have anything that's been completely universally praised, among critics, enthusiasts/aficionados/fans/buffs, and popular audiences alike? Especially if you're restricting it to the last ten years or so!

I find Half Life 2 and Portal to be massively overrated. But I understand I'm in the minority with those.

I've encountered loads of criticism of HL2 over the years. But not much criticism of Portal - I'm curious, what don't you like about it?

Is it just that you think it's too short and easy? (IIRC Smitty - who I think was first to nominate it in this thread! - has posted things along those lines, that the difficulty curve was playtested to the extent that it became too smooth for something that's ostensibly a "puzzle game", and that it finishes just when it gets going.)

I don't think we'll be able to find anything that everyone in this thread agrees on. But then, does any medium have anything that's been completely universally praised, among critics, enthusiasts/aficionados/fans/buffs, and popular audiences alike? Especially if you're restricting it to the last ten years or so!

Only progenitors - The Odyssey and Iliad for example (though even there arguments are common as to which is the most important (whether because it be the older, or be the more unique, work)); few people would criticise Pong or Space War either, for similar reasons. As soon as you get past that point, there's never consensus. Not for Shakespeare, not for anything. Subjectivity!

Wasn't about on the forum at the time of its release so not sure what you lot thought but I've never met anyone in the outside world that didn't enjoy Red Dead Redemption.

Wasn't about on the forum at the time of its release so not sure what you lot thought but I've never met anyone in the outside world that didn't enjoy Red Dead Redemption.

Loved it. And Undead Nightmare. Until a game breaking UN bug about 10 hours in :(

I have! And I'm not just talking about myself.