rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

PQLogo.png

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is the acclaimed series' entry into the 3DS ever growing library of games, and will be taking place in Yasogami High School, the same school of Persona 4, where a mysterious tower appears out of nowhere. According to the rumors, whoever hears its bell will face certain death.

You’ll be exploring a labyrinth with a five-man party of different chibi-styled Persona 3 and Persona 4 characters. Depending on whether you pick Persona 3’s SEES crew or Persona 4’s Investigation Team to play as, you’ll see dialogue and event changes with more of a focus on one or the other.

There will also be new characters who’ll be making a debut to the series in the game. Additionally, there will be various school events, where all the characters will be seen interacting with each other.

If you go with a Persona 3’s protagonist, the story starts in the middle of a stormy autumn night. Due to their school festival being canceled, the members of SEES (Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad) gather at Tartarus, where they hear the strange sound of a bell. After entering the Velvet Room, an incident occurs.

Before they realize it, they find themselves in the midst of a school festival at Yasogami High. It doesn’t take long until they encounter Shadows, similar to those they’ve previously fought in Tartarus. While fighting the Shadows and looking for a way out, they suddenly find themselves face to face with a group of high school students who call themselves the Investigation Team.

If you start the game with a Persona 4 protagonist; you start the game during the last day of the Yasogami High School festival, and the protagonist, along with the rest of the Investigation Team, is enjoying the festivities. However, there’s a distinct sound of an unfamiliar bell they all seem to hear. Upon looking outside the window, they see a clock tower that was never there before.

Due to the unforeseen event, the group searches its way around the school to spot any traces of Shadow activity. While fighting the Shadows, the Investigation Team encounter another group of Persona-users, who seem to be from a different school. The group calls themselves the “Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad,” and they decide to team up to find the exit of what appears to be a sinister labyrinth.

First trailer:

Character trailers:

Minato Arisato

Spoiler

Mitsuru Kirijo

Yosuke Hanamura

Yu Narukami

Akihiko Sanada

Chie Satonaka

Junpei Iori

Yukari Takeba

Aigis

Teddie

Rei

Zen

Official Japanese site:

Official int. site:

The game will be produced by Katsura Hashino, and directed by Daisuke Kanada. The character designs will be done by Shigenori Soejima, and music composed by Shoji Meguro, just like the main Persona RPG series.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is slated for release on November 28, 2014 for Nintendo 3DS.

6hHYS6a.jpg

• Upvote 5

Akihiko and Chie have trailers now too

I'm really hoping this gets a European release, I've been pestering Atlus PR for info but not getting anywhere :(

If anything was going to tempt me into getting a 3DS, it's this. It was discussed a little during the big Atlus countdown thread, but I'm kind of repurposing that thread for P5 chatter so we can bring the PQ chatter here :D

In terms of gameplay mechanics, a lot of people are comparing it to Etrian Odyssey, but I'm not familiar with that game so I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not...

I think it'll get a Euro release. Eventually.

Persona games get released over here, Etrian Odyssey as well, so I see no reason why this shouldn't.

At least the US version's already been confirmed!

You got Persona in my Etrian! You got Etrian in my Persona! Well, you’re right on both counts. Persona Q is a cross-over for the Nintendo 3DS™ system that brings Persona 3 and 4 characters to the gameplay style of Etrian Odyssey. It also marks the first time the Persona franchise will be available on a Nintendo system.
Characters from Persona 3 and 4 have been given a complete visual overhaul to match the Etrian style and plunged into an alternate world resembling Yasogami High School. Legend has it that listening to the end of the bell chimes of Yasogami High’s clock tower causes people to die, and this time the bell tolls for the Investigation Team and the SEES. Trapped in an other-world filled with Shadows, the protagonists from Persona 3 and Persona 4 each have different events to follow, allowing the player to choose and experience two different plotlines. As both groups seek a way out of the labyrinth, they will run in to two new characters, Rei and Zen, who may hold the secret to this new mystery.

Thanks to ordering from their US site for the last few years, they converted my points in pounds so I got a £15 off voucher to use against it. But with how much higher their prices are now this will probably be the last special edition I order from NIS.

I'm having trouble figuring out what this game actually is. Is it purely combat-based, like P4's dungeon sections on repeat? Do you still wander about developing social links and chatting up girls?

Downloaded this from the eshop last night and got quite sucked into it.

This is significantly harder than P4 as you would expect from this style of game, I suppose. I like it so far, a couple of hours in.

Funny that this series spun out of a dungeon crawl series and has now been spun off again back into a dungeon crawler form.

Well the story hasn't developed much at all yet, as I say, just a couple of hours in and I haven't yet met the Persona 3 characters. It's very much the same tone though, lots of charming banter between all the characters.

The story seems pretty good, but is likely to be a bit less exciting if this is your first Persona game. It's very well written and voiced, but assumes you are already familiar with the characters in some fashion.

Also it's really hard - but being careful and cautious generally makes this less of an issue.

I'm about 8 hours in and really enjoying it so far. Whether it's on par with the main Persona games remains to be seen but so far so good :)

Enemies are strong from the off. The first thing I ran into on the third floor of the first dungeon (a giant insect) killed half my party on the first turn; by the time I had made it to the end of that floor, encountering one was still pretty dicey.

Also, "one more"s are, err, no more. If you hit a weakness, that character gets free skills next turn; knockdowns are not guaranteed when hitting a weakness and all-out attacks are much less frequent, meaning battles are more attrition-based rather than sequence puzzles like in P3 or P4.

Doesn't feel unfair - just difficult :)

A bit further into this now and I really like it. The new sub-persona concept (your MC can't switch between all your personae any more, instead, every character can equip an extra persona, allowing you to customise your party's abilities and skills much more than you could in P4) adds quite a bit of extra depth to the game.