Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Halo

Bit disappointed with the finale, not helped by it being a heist double bill. Cant say I was ever a fan of the heist episodes, it felt like they had seriously diminishing returns after everyone they did.

Overall it was far from the best season, but I will miss it all the same. Its been such a solid performer across its 8 seasons!

Nine! Nine! :(

I think I am now down to one active sitcom. :unsure: (What we do in the shadows)

• 7 months later...

Now E4 are showing it, caught up with the first three episodes of this (sniff) last season 

Spoiler

Clever using Santiago’s maternity leave to cover the time gap due to COVID, and loved the high five machine intro to the first ep.

Terry loves to hedge was hilarious, as was the whole Lake House/Parent Trap nonsense.

And brilliant addition to the cast in the form of the union rep as a foil for Holt.

Spoiler

He's so wonderfully channelling Trumpisms in that performance, without it taking over the whole character.

I really like how they've managed to deal with the issues around police conduct. The show has dealt with those well in occasional episodes before (they've come a long way from that early ep where Jake and Holt work together to find a justification for holding a guy Jake simply doesn't like), but the stakes are so much higher now.

• 1 month later...

I binged the final season over the past 24 hours and firstly, it made me realise this is the first thing I've 'completed' in, forever; I'm a bit Doctor Who I suppose (I don't like endings). I can't actually think of the last multi-season program I've watched all of, but it will have been a good while ago. I still have a number of shows to finish, one day...

Anyway, I thought it was a fairly low-key finale, and that's okay. To its credit, it wasn't stuffed with forced sentimentality, but instead those goodbyes had a warmth to them - and were certainly earned.

It was a fairly so-so final season in truth, but then I think it declined a bit when Amy & Jake got together (and I have doubtless already said that in this thread.)

After the first episode I wasn't sure how it was going to play out - I knew they had not shied away from the George Floyd stuff - but I think they handled it well and allowed them to get their message across through the characters. It was a shame it split them up though, giving both a literal and metaphorical feeling of detachment within the group, and I think that impacted the stories within each episode.

It still had its moments though and I will look back overall at the 8 seasons fondly, for it provided a lot of laughs with a great ensemble cast who each had their time to shine. They shall be missed.

Nine-Nine!

I enjoyed the finale, the heist framework was clever in the way it allowed lots of references/callbacks and a great cameo from Gina.

Spoiler

Think my best moments were the balloon arch on Wunch’s grave and Terry’s logical escape from the fake office, plus of course magnet suits!

I was only a little disappointed with Jake’s decision to leave though. While it is satisfying in terms of the resolution, it still feels a little off for the character as a whole. He has grown. But could he really give up the job?

I suppose it was always going to be tricky having an ending that definitively ended things and managed to be satisfying and was logical for all characters. Like, with Hitchcock and Diaz, they felt a little sloppy in their transitions, whereas Charles didn't even really get an ending.