IGNORED

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Harsin

The problem scenes are all Hart's recollections, and I wonder even how much they are "true" maybe the glamorization of the scenes is his memory spiced with imagination. That being said, every shot is a creative choice, so trying to justify it artistically might be trying to have the cake and eat it also. For me it's not a sex vs. violence thing, as I agree that there's a double-standard there, it's more the specifically female nudity. Maybe they figured nobody would want to see Woody Harrelson's quivering buttocks pumping away.

I'm trying to figure out the staggering coincidence that Hart went to the exact mobile phone store that she worked at. Those places are like five per every strip mall, the chances of Hart randomly buying a T-Mobile cell phone from the underage hooker he gave money to seven years ago is *vanishingly small*. Was the whole thing arranged beforehand? Part of some scheme we don't know about? If Hart is really just a guy who can't keep his dick in his pants, then it may as well just have been any woman. I'd like to think there's a genuine story reason why it happened to be someone associated with the Yellow King murders.

I'm not complaining about it or saying they shouldn't show nudity (I'm hardly a prude), I'm just saying those two scenes seemed somehow 'off' or out of kilter with the rest of the show but the other scene didn't. They left me with the feeling that the director thought, "cor I'd love to see her naked for a few minutes and I bet the viewers will too" instead of "we're doing this because it shows X and Y."

I'm happy to concede that could be completely unfair of me, I don't claim to be any good at all at proper critical appraisal of TV shows or films. I'm jus' sayin', you know? In Banshee there is plenty of that stuff and it's great because it all fits with the tone of the show - pulp sex and violence and dark humour. It would be weird in that show if there was a sex scene without nudity.

Maybe CrispinG is right in that they are empowering to the males and maybe that's the point, like it's part of this portrait the show is building of the two characters. Maybe AceAceBaby is right in that they are Hart's imagination, the unreliable witness remembering and fantasising about his exploits during his interview.

I caught up last night so i am up to #6 and i have begun starting reading Chamber's book.

And fuck me within a few paragraphs your seeing connections to the show, even if it is something you would take of a throw away line from a badguy.

I was genuinely shocked to read a few posts back that this is eight episodes long.

I really cant see them sorting this out in two episodes.

Also the end part of episode four was so tense had my literally on edge throughout, fantastic.

Also spoiler theory's ahoy!:-

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/02/true-detective-theories/

EDIT: Um reading the above, when the hell did I miss this scene?

dolls-660x438.png

Edited by The Eagle Lord

I caught up last night so i am up to #6 and i have begun starting reading Chamber's book.

And fuck me within a few paragraphs your seeing connections to the show, even if it is something you would take of a throw away line from a badguy.

I was genuinely shocked to read a few posts back that this is eight episodes long.

I really cant see them sorting this out in two episodes.

Also the end part of episode four was so tense had my literally on edge throughout, fantastic.

Also spoiler theory's ahoy!:-

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/02/true-detective-theories/

EDIT: Um reading the above, when the hell did I miss this scene?

dolls-660x438.png

Second episode iirc

Only two episodes in, but I like the way they've turned the dynamic almost on its head - at the beginning of ep 1 Harrelson is the straight-laced family man struggling with MM as the Aspergers-type recluse, and by the end of ep 2 I understood MM a bit better and was starting to think Harrelson is a bit of a wanker.

So...

Lot's of Basil Exposition in there and will probably need to watch it again but didn't Marty already talk to the lawnmower guy? Would he not have noticed and remembered the scars?

episode 3

So...

Lot's of Basil Exposition in there and will probably need to watch it again but didn't Marty already talk to the lawnmower guy? Would he not have noticed and remembered the scars?

He had a beard back in 1995.

There's a theory that Marty saw his ex-father in law on the tape, and realises or suspects his kids were/are being abused. I don't buy it, but there must be something going on with his kids. The sex drawings, the sex re-enactments with the dolls, the threesome in the car, the daughter on meds etc etc.

*edit* added spoiler tags -Graham_S