IGNORED

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Harsin

I think people are looking too hard for the supernatural stuff. If we haven't seen supernatural things six episodes in, I doubt we are going to see supernatural things in the last two episodes.

I think its because of the connection with Lovecraft and why people believe it may have some supernatural connection.

you know I'm the last person who's gonna complain about sexism on TV and I adore this show, but literally every single woman in this is fit, half naked and exists solely to raise kids and receive dick. I actually cringed at what Beth said to Marty on the phone, with a semi.

you know I'm the last person who's gonna complain about sexism on TV and I adore this show, but literally every single woman in this is fit, half naked and exists solely to raise kids and receive dick. I actually cringed at what Beth said to Marty on the phone, with a semi.

There's an arguement to be made that the women are portrayed that way because that's how the men in the show - rather than the show itself - sees them.

I'm glad actually that Monaghan's arc relates soley to her marriage to Marty and her reactions to his infidelities, I couldn't imagine the show working as it does if the writer went out his way to invent a storyline for her that didn't involve Marty directly - see Carmela's tedious dalliance with the Priest in 'The Sopranos' as an example of it just not working.

I think people are looking too hard for the supernatural stuff. If we haven't seen supernatural things six episodes in, I doubt we are going to see supernatural things in the last two episodes.

I doubt there will be anything actually really supernatural, just people practicing pagan arts etc...

10 quid says it ends up being like the Wicker man and everyone is in on it....

There's an arguement to be made that the women are portrayed that way because that's how the men in the show - rather than the show itself - sees them.

I'm glad actually that Monaghan's arc relates soley to her marriage to Marty and her reactions to his infidelities, I couldn't imagine the show working as it does if the writer went out his way to invent a storyline for her that didn't involve Marty directly - see Carmela's tedious dalliance with the Priest in 'The Sopranos' as an example of it just not working.

Yup.

http://screencrush.com/true-detective-problem-women/

This is just artfully shot adolescent wank fantasy isn't it, though. Completely brilliant wank fantasy, but nonetheless.

Surely characters like cohle stop being cool once you pass about 15.

who thinks Cohle is "cool"?

From that screencrush article:

when I watch ‘True Detective,’ I don’t see a show that’s extolling the virtues of Rust Cohle and Marty Hart. I’m watching a show about two deeply flawed detectives whose terrible treatment, ignorance, and willful misunderstanding of women is meant to reflect that they aren’t that much better than the bad guys they’re chasing after.

yeah i really haven't seen Rust as a Tyler Durden counterculture hero. he's a fucking mess and completely alone. that's why he's such a good character, it's real darkness, not sexy Hollywood darkness.

If you didn't have the present-day scenes of Cohle being a total fuck-up, scenes like his pontifications on religion at the revival tent would be absolutely intolerable. As it is, it undercuts any would-be coolness very neatly.

Watched all 6 episodes within a week. Apart from the typical overlong HBO intro theme and the pointless overuse of boobs/bums to keep the brainless entertained it's rather good. I'm not quite sure where it's going which is always a good thing.

I'm always a little confused by complaints about "needless nudity" being inserted into shows like this, as I rarely see them as that; they seem, to me, to be an integral and neccessary part of the show. I mean, we don't get the same complaints about the violence or murders, so why do we get it on the nudity?

'Game of Thrones', which has a tremendous amount of sex and nudity *did* go OTT in my eyes during the 'Littlefinger Lesbian Sex Exposition Scene', when there was literally no reason for the sex scence as it was occuring between background characters, it had no bearing on the plot and seemed to be there purely to ensure there was something titillating to watch while Aiden Gillen delivered his monologue.

By contrast, I don't think there's been one scene in 'True Detective' where the sex or nudity hasn't been a justifiable part of the plot.

dunno, it has seemed gratuitous to me, as much as it stirred my loins.

What difference does it make to the plot if we don't see

Alex Daddario's tits or Lili Simmons's bum?

The scene between

McConaughmumble and Michelle Lovelybum

seemed more consistent with the tone of the show.

For me the two scenes with Marty's bints felt gratuitous, whereas the scene between him and Maggie, and likewise Maggie and Rusty had much more purpose to the character developments. The other scenes were, well, look tits and bums! Having the camera just focusing on a pair of tits doesn't tell us anymore about his affairs than the fact they had tits, nice as they were. Seeing the photos on his phone and hearing the phone call in his car said everything that was needed.

Yeah, I know but at what point do you draw the line?

Do you not show nudity just because you could do it another way?

Do you not show the murder victim body?

When Hart

executes Reggie LeDeux

it's intensely graphic; that could have been done with a cutaway but it had more impact that it didn't; I'd say the same is applicable for the sex scenes.

Interesting to hear about the next series having two new leads. To be honest I didn't expect Mathew Mccougahaany to be a lead in a tv series for so long as he must be getting endless amazing film opportunities at the moment. So I'm kind of expecting him to die, probably along with Woody. So it's looking to be a series that is set in the same world but with new characters (and some that overlap) every season? I don't know how I feel about that, one of my favorite things about TV shows is the ability to spend so much time on long drawn out character arcs.

To be honest I didn't expect Mathew Mccougahaany to be a lead in a tv series for so long as he must be getting endless amazing film opportunities at the moment.

Pizzolatto and Fukanaga approached McCounaghey before this recent career re-surgance; the reason that Cohle is super-slim is because McConaughey was losing weight for the part in 'Dallas Buyers Club'.

In fact, McConaughey says that after 'Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past', the last film in his 'romantic lead' phase, he didn't have a solid offer of work for eighteen months. This show was the first work he did that showed casting directors what he was capable of and he believes it's the reason that Christopher Nolan picked him to head up 'Interstellar' and why Scorscese wanted him in 'The Wolf of Wall Street.'

I don't think there's any such thing as gratuitous sex or nudity because it's harmless and something we all enjoy, unlike violence. The problem is that all the sex and nudity in True Detective is empowering to the male characters and at best objectifying to the female. Like I said I'm not the guy who gives a shit, but for the sake of academic argument, the first shot of Marty's wife sees her with her tits and ass hanging out of a sleeveless t shirt. That's not even one of his bits on the side, it's the mother of his kids!