IGNORED

True Detective - Season 1 (Woody Harrelson+Matthew McConaughey+HBO)

Harsin

No, I don't think anything like that will be in there. People are misinterpreting the tonal influences on the show as actual story influences. There won't be any demons surfacing, but there's a whole lot of existential misery and southern-fried badness.

Seen a few backlash articles today, one complaining about the macho nature of the show in particular, how the women are sketches at best. Thing is, every character other than the two leads are sketches at best. I don't see why gender has to be an issue.

Seen a few backlash articles today, one complaining about the macho nature of the show in particular, how the women are sketches at best. Thing is, every character other than the two leads are sketches at best. I don't see why gender has to be an issue.

Because it's a great way to go against the grain under the guise of something meaningful.

Something I didn't click onto when watching this morning.

Beth, the girl who fucks Marty and later says she wants him to fuck her in the ass, is the same girl Marty and Rust interviewed back in '95, and who Marty cried foul about her being an underage prostitute before giving her some cash.

And after he does it Rust made a snarky comment along the lines of it being a downpayment.

Something I didn't click onto when watching this morning.

Beth, the girl who fucks Marty and later says she wants him to fuck her in the ass, is the same girl Marty and Rust interviewed back in '95, and who Marty cried foul about her being an underage prostitute before giving her some cash.

She's also the niece from Banshee, of course. My wife, who's abnormally good at this stuff, spotted both of these things before the scene left T-Mobile.

Another amazing episode. A bit slower than the previous two, but the buildup was intense. I really can't wait for the last two episodes, this might become one of my favourite mini series of all time (a list with Band of Brothers at the very top for the time being).

Because everything has to be an issue these days. See Seinfeld being berrated as he's only had white dudes on his new show. His explanation - "they make me laugh".

Lovely to see Lili Simmons in the show and get a double dose of her norks in one week. When she asked Hart to do that to her.... nnnnnnngh.

Jizz-in-my-pants20110725-22047-13tkwsa.j

Grinning from ear to ear to see 2012 Cohle and Hart meet up again.

Is Hart actually believing Cohle to be the killer now? Or was he checking his gun as he things Cohle is going to pull HIM up for being the killer? I don't think he has the mental capacity for it. Cohle, yes, Hart no.

Just a quick thing: Galveston by Pizzolatto reads very well, and you can feel the underlying current to this series creeping through out. A fair whack of small, powerful tension, interesting yet complicated characters and even some ideas which appear in True Detective. Very much worth a read, I got through 60% of it in roughly three hours last night.

Halfway through it - devouring it.

Is Hart actually believing Cohle to be the killer now? Or was he checking his gun as he things Cohle is going to pull HIM up for being the killer? I don't think he has the mental capacity for it. Cohle, yes, Hart no.

I don't think Hart really believes Cohle is the killer, he's just taking it along just in case. Like, 99% sure he isn't, but 1% not sure.

I also picked up 'Galveston; at the weekend. Started it in the bath on Sunday afternoon, didn't come out until I'd finished it two hours later.

It's a great read but it's strengths are in it's atmosphere and characters rather than it's plot which is very straightforward. Like Dark Soldier said, whole sections of the novel have been dropped wholesale into True Detective (the omni-present oil refineries, the past/present structure and utterly broken people).

Back on topic and what are people's thought's on a second series of this? I've heard that True Detective will be treated as an anthology series, so we may see the same actors appear but playing different roles and it will not neccessarily be a continuation of the story playing out this time, like 'American Horror Story' has done.

There's an ongoing, hilarious at first but now running out of steam hashtag on Twitter, #TrueDetectiveSeason2, where people nominate who they'd like to see as the pair of investigating cops next season.

Halfway through it - devouring it.

I don't think Hart really believes Cohle is the killer, he's just taking it along just in case. Like, 99% sure he isn't, but 1% not sure.

There you go, posts improved by clever use of spoiler tags.

This show is like the Jive Bunny Megamix of HBO supporting character actors.

From the Wire we got Lester Freamon and this week introduced the Greek's sidekick as their 2002 boss.

Eli Thompson and George Remus from Boardwalk Empire.

I know there were others I've forgotten.

My guess is that the Yellow King will turn out to be Jern Snerw.

This show is like the Jive Bunny Megamix of HBO supporting character actors.

From the Wire we got Lester Freamon and this week introduced the Greek's sidekick as their 2002 boss.

Eli Thompson and George Remus from Boardwalk Empire.

I know there were others I've forgotten.

My guess is that the Yellow King will turn out to be Jern Snerw.

Noticed three from Banshee as well.

Beth, the Meth Cook and the Biker Cohle met up with.

Not forgetting Treme's Clarke Peters too popping up.

This is just artfully shot adolescent wank fantasy isn't it, though. Completely brilliant wank fantasy, but nonetheless.

Surely characters like cohle stop being cool once you pass about 15.

I wouldn't say that Cohle is cool exactly - he's a stock "driven cop with tragic backstory" but McConnaughey's performance is mesmerising so you can't help but be drawn to the man.

Btw, Harrelson deserves just as much praise as Hart; it's the less showy part but he's actually got the better character arc* and he's nailed every part of it.

*So far. We've yet to see exactly what transpired to turn Cohle into the long-haired, drunkard that he's become.