Formula One - 2014 Season

Jonny5

Well, on some laps he did ;)

What Nico is doing in his reactions are very purposeful. He knows that history has shown at Lewis is normally at his weakest when he's having one of his little sulks. Probably a payback for Lewis ragging on Nico for growing up wealthy during the week!

As long as they don't collide then it's all good - any Merc in P1 is a good Merc! Have to say, though, I am worried about tomorrow now!

If he parked the car at the bottom of the escape road, didn't celebrate the pole in the OTT way he did and just looked a bit embarrassed by it I would have been convinced. His actions in and out of the car just don't add up for me. I've watched it about 6 or 7 times now.

I think he realised he was going to loose out and made a silly decision in the heat of the moment.

If he did do that then he's utterly, utterly mad. He's been practicing starts all weekend with the express intent of having a chance off e line even if he didn't get pole. He was quicker than Lewis on the first run. He is, from what I have been informed, the better car on race fuel levels. If he's done that on purpose it's one of he most baffling things anyone has ever done, and Rosberg just doesn't strike me as someone to do something like that.

The reversing thing though, yeah - fair cop if he gets demoted for that. Rules are rules.

The reversing I don't get. He knew he was on his last lap, no time for another one. Panic?

I was surprised to see him finishing the lap. Even Martin Brundle mentioned in commentary that the options were either to do a 9 point turn or reverse back out, the latter of which wouldn't make him very popular. I think he knew he was on pole in Monaco and wanted to celebrate it the traditional way rather than after arriving on the back of a moped but if that was the case you'd think his team would be on the radio telling him to stop as soon as he put it into reverse.

I assume the reversing was because they were worried if he didn't get the car back to the pits there'd be some kind of penalty.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was told to reverse. Mercedes do have a habit of making the odd 'interesting' radio call now and again.

I've only seen a short video of today's qualifying but was very impressed with how aggressively Ricciardo drove. Seemed to be up there with Alonso in that respect. Starting to believe that he may well be better than Vettel. He obviously is in this car, which doesn't seem to suit Vettel's style, but he's starting to look like he might be very special indeed. Yes? No?