Formula One - 2014 Season

Jonny5

The flag thing is a giant red herring being thrown about as clickbait by sites like Racer that should know better. It was signalled 100% correctly and the procedure is identical right down to your local kart track, and for local yellows in all American motorsport I know of.

It still strikes me as something that needs looked at for the future though. With Sutil's car 3 feet into his zone he waves double yellows, three feet out of it and he waves green despite it still presenting a virtually identical level of hazard.

Apparently he's suffered a diffuse axonal injury. That's not good news unfortunately :(

No, that's pretty terrible news if so. Entirely likely too, given the deceleration his brain would have been subjected to- did someone say he crashed at 135 mph?

There's no specific treatment for DAI, and the prognosis is usually pretty grim. Still, he's young and was attended to promptly so things might turn out reasonably, hopefully.

It still strikes me as something that needs looked at for the future though. With Sutil's car 3 feet into his zone he waves double yellows, three feet out of it and he waves green despite it still presenting a virtually identical level of hazard.

Not wanting to be an arse but you need to read how flags work, how a race day works - there was no issue with the flags and they had zero influence on the incident.

To try and simplify it, all the drivers would have seen double waved yellows prior to the accident (remember the flags were for caution that there was an incident ahead, not the conditions) and the next marshall clear of the incident shows the green flag - it happened to be him after the JCB moved past him.

Jules wouldn't have seen the green flag on the corner and gone back to racing speed as he knows you can only disobey the double yellow when you pass the green flag position.

Not wanting to be an arse but you need to read how flags work, how a race day works - there was no issue with the flags and they had zero influence on the incident.

Yep. Yellow flags there would be in itself a hazard because there would be confusion over there being a 2nd incident, some people would speed up, some would stay slow....

Yes the difference was 6 feet but it's 6 important feet because it changes problems with that sector from "1" to "0".

I don't think even Lewis is going to give up a locked on championship team with a teammate he KNOWS he can beat for a team that hasn't won a constructor's title in 16 years and is currently literally the worst team with the dominant engine and is about to lose said engine.

Well there was a story that Russia wasn't allowing any parts into the country that didn't come from Japan.

So they're basically unable to, they won't have enough bits.

Of course if anyone can negotiate bypassing that it'll be Marussia. Amusing one off return for Petrov? ;)

I'm so not up for F1 this weekend. I don't necessarily think it's what happened last weekend either, although that no doubt has added to it as Marussia are my local team and it is all really shitty and horrible.

I started watching F1 in 1988 and in that time missed 6 races live, most of which happened when I was on holiday. If F1 was on, I'd watch it. This season I've only watched 6 races in total, and only a handful of qualifying sessions. Not sure why really - I've just begun to find the whole thing a total chore. As an example, the first bit I tuned in to watch of the Suzuka race weekend was lap 34 of the race itself.

An analogy on my F1 interest is probably that it's currently in a similar state to Sauber; it has been around for ages, it's currently pretty shit and there's a high chance that very soon it won't be around at all.

I'm so not up for F1 this weekend. I don't necessarily think it's what happened last weekend either, although that no doubt has added to it as Marussia are my local team and it is all really shitty and horrible.

I started watching F1 in 1988 and in that time missed 6 races live, most of which happened when I was on holiday. If F1 was on, I'd watch it. This season I've only watched 6 races in total, and only a handful of qualifying sessions. Not sure why really - I've just begun to find the whole thing a total chore. As an example, the first bit I tuned in to watch of the Suzuka race weekend was lap 34 of the race itself.

An analogy on my F1 interest is probably that it's currently in a similar state to Sauber; it has been around for ages, it's currently pretty shit and there's a high chance that very soon it won't be around at all.

Similar feelings here, if they move to 3 car teams or drop any more of the classic circuits then i am done with it until someone new is running the whole show. Unfortunately death and serious injury has been a factor in my years of watching F1 so while the events of last week are tragic it has not been a factor - it has proven why at the British GP the barrier repair was necessary and why the safety car should have been deployed at the German GP.

Also, Bob, He went in headfirst not side on - apparently overcorrected to catch the spin and may have been much better off had he gone side on :(