IGNORED

A Dolphins Tale - The Story of the GameCube

Wools

Cheers for that, really long (would it hurt them to break it up into pages?) but worth the read.

You get the sense that Nintendo have a strong ethos but sometimes the insularity means they don't know where to compromise. Fucking hell, though, the last part reads like a developer and publisher graveyard. Nintendo might've missed the boat on a lot of things but they seem to have their finger on the pulse regarding the financial direction of the industry.

You'd think they'd do more to emphasise indie games?

That's a really interesting good piece. It seems Nintendo had the noblest of intentions - they wanted to expand gaming beyond teenage boys, they wanted to make experiences that were different, they recognised the issues caused by the rising costs of games - they were very forward thinking about where the industry was going and what issues there were.

But they were too insular - all of their major decisions about what their console would look and what they would focus on were made solely with Japan in mind, even though international business was bigger for them, and that bit then in the arse because some of their decisions were seen differently abroad and resulted in narratives that hurt them - the design of the device for Japanese apartments and their reticence over violent content which wouldn't play as well in Japan hitting them with a kiddy image they're still struggling with being the best example.

Boom!

'Ive been told that Sony won over Nintendo by surrounding itself with software companies, and I will admit that situation was there in the past. However, times have changed, and its no longer a race to see how many useless companies you can get on your side. said Yamauchi.'

They should have never made the black edition for the American market. The gamecube was never meant to be a matt black consumer electronics product to sit next to your sleek DVD player - it was meant to be kawaii. It has a carry handle!

The silver one looks great. They could have used that, at least. It would still have sold fuck all.

I love the silver one with the Black Resident Evil 4 logo.

It was so cool that you could remove the face plate of the GC and replace it with whatever you want. Ws it GCN Magazine that supplied the tools for you to do it?

Sorry, I meant you only unclipped the official one, but that magazine gave away a circular piece of plastic that you could slide a piece of paper in that had Animal Crossing, Resident Evil or P.N.03 cards to customise it.

They should have never made the black edition for the American market. The gamecube was never meant to be a matt black consumer electronics product to sit next to your sleek DVD player - it was meant to be kawaii. It has a carry handle!

I always wonder if this was a contributing factor in the GameCubes lack of sales, compared to the PS2. The PS2 looked like it belonged under the TV in your lounge, the GameCube looked like a kid's toy.

I always wonder if this was a contributing factor in the GameCubes lack of sales, compared to the PS2. The PS2 looked like it belonged under the TV in your lounge, the GameCube looked like a kid's toy.

I loved and still love the GameCube, but the design hurt its appea among young adult male gamers here in the west from my experience. From day one it was "it looks like a Fisher Price toy", "it's pink and gay" from all the (PS2 owning) casual gamers I knew.

I have two white ones (and 4 white controllers to go with it). One's still brand new even - purchased for when the first one kicks it.

Big 'cube fan I am.

Great article in OP, btw.

You will be waiting a while for it to die lol...Nintendo make their machines to last

Read the article last night. Really impressive piece of work really. I've always been a big fan of gamecube my collection use to have 115 games in it, I've been building the collection back up but these days I've been more interested in owning magazines.

I still think gamecube is incredibly underrated, a lot of people are giving it love now but even those people are doing what people do with the N64 and only going for the obvious stuff and are as a result missing out on loads of hidden gems, I'v met people who think the gamecube is awesome yet they have never played stuff like PN03 which is a shame because the system had some interesting low key exclusives that often get ignored.

Reading that article it was apparent that Nintendo made their own problems, I know multi platform games weren't going to make people buy gamecubes but they need to consider what the customer wanted, I didn;t get my Gamecube for Nintendo characters only, there were other reasons to, it was a next generation system, the cheapest next generation system, its like nintendo missed a trick. Lets say it is 2002, why pay £200+ for a PS2 to play Timesplitters, Fifa, Tony Hawk, 007, SSX, Burnout etc when you could get them on a cheaper, more powerful system? Were Nintendo so egotistical that they couldn't see the kind of advantage that shit would have given them, they should have pushed hard from the start to get everyone making games for their system, even the smaller developers, they should have tried to rival microsofts cheap licensing fee, had they done so many games that ended up xbox exclusive (or PS2/xbox only) might have seen the gamecube release they were originally going to get.

It is easy to say all this stuff in hindsight but Nintendo really did fuck up in a lot of places. It's like look at me, I wish everything could be released on PC because it is the most open platform. Closing off a platform when it comes to software does not make it popular and never will make it popular, I'm not saying be super lax about this but I'm just saying had Nintendo been more open to 3rd party games the gamecube would have had a few things going for it, the PS2 is great because it has all the big studio titles but it also has tonnes of cult budget titles, PS2 had everything and that is why it was the best.

Lovely article but you can take anything written in it and apply it to the Wii U today pretty much. Nintendo seem to want to make a niche console that plays only their software, they want complete control and seem to think what they are doing is amazing. The problem is they never convey why what they are doing is amazing and at the same time want to make lots of money from a niche console. Look at how they advertised the Gamecube and now they are doing the same thing with the Wii U.

It really makes me think maybe the Wii was a fluke maybe? There was always this talk of blue sky gaming and coming up with the Wii name which hints they really wanted to try something radical but then why is the Wii U repeating the Gamecubes mistakes exactly.

I'm barely a quarter of the way through and I can't get over how well-researched it is. It's a really comprehensive oral history, ultimately. I figure the writer has a great set of notes to draw on for other platforms too. Fingers crossed.

According to some of the posters on NeoGAF who follow these sorts of things, Emily Rogers basically just read all the links off the Nintendo GameCube wikipedia entry.

OP, you should add http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube as a tl;dr for this article since it's just a huge extrapolation of that Wiki page and the references within. I've read various pieces throughout and it seems to just be pieced together from everything there.

I doubt she would have much interest in doing the same legwork for any non-Nintendo platforms, her preferences are pretty well known.

According to some of the posters on NeoGAF who follow these sorts of things, Emily Rogers basically just read all the links off the Nintendo GameCube wikipedia entry.

I doubt she would have much interest in doing the same legwork for any non-Nintendo platforms, her preferences are pretty well known.

I can tell you're a real fan of her work.

Nice read. This made me grin:

When asked about why the console had become irrelevant in Australia, Satoru Iwata replied, “First of all, I am most sorry that the Gamecube’s performance is bad in Australia among any area in the world. One of the biggest things I feel unfortunate about is that I have not been to Australia. I am looking forward to learning more about Australia.”

Looking at those links I really don't see what you mean. The wealth of quotes in the article - which make it an oral history, and such a great read - simply aren't there. There's stuff in there from GIA, which I fondly remember from the GC pre-launch era and which simply doesn't exist any more.

It's interesting to read the discussion of Nintendo's disdain for multiformat titles, over having platform exclusives that could help them sell systems. I wonder if that had much of a bearing on the design of the Wii, where straight powers ports were more or less impossible.

The Wii used a lot of ideas which could have been used for the GameCube (the Wiimote existed for the GC), nearly all the new game ideas that eventually sold the system were revealed very early on, and the only other left-field idea got shitcanned (Vitality Sensor). The re-use of the GameCube hardware seems more of a risk mitigation measure more than anything else (save a packet on hardware R&D), it didn't stop Activision from downporting CoD, or any of the other inferior multiplats the system recieved.

All the quotes underline is how Nintendo haven't changed in over a decade, hence why they find themselves out of their depth with their present home system.

Absolutely loved the cube. Still got a Mario strikers (I think) brand new white one never opened. With my old black one and a US and UK Wii I suppose I have four in all anyway. Beautiful.

I think if it had played DVDs it would have put up a much much better show. That alone blinded most casuals back then. Software support never seemed terrible to me.