Playstation Now: stream PS3 games to PS4/3/Vita. Launches in US in the summer

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

Today, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, we announced that PlayStation Now (PS Now), our new streaming game service, will be available in the US this summer. With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sonys BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

Leveraging Gaikai's advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:

* Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.

* Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other Internet-connected devices.

* Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. Well also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.

Netflix for games, streaming huge numbers of PS3 games to my Vita please, Sony. Happy to pay a monthly free. Chop chop.

PSOne and PS2 as well?

If this works and is affordable, it could be brilliant.

If. Let's hope it's an all you can eat model and not a four games a month limit or similar.

Edit: actually, it sounds to me like newer or bigger games will be one-time rentals and only the older stuff will be on subscription.

This is the future isn't it? Stream games to your TV rather than having to rely on a console? My Bravia already does pretty much everything that a console does apart from play games, and now it'll be able to do that too.

I always thought this gen would be the last to have the option to use physical media, wonder if it'll be the last to actually need a console?

Will be interesting to see if I'll be able to carry on my The Last of Us game on my PS4 from my PS+ cloud saved file from where I left off. Plus able to play the DLC of the game with my characters saved attributes.

I've kept my PS3 (in storage) especially for the DLC of this one game, so if this works, I'll be sell the PS3 console.

It all sounds too good to be true at the moment. I pessimistically await the inevitable bad news about performance, price, lacklustre catalogue, etc...

We're mostly in Europe, where it is better named "Playstation When?"

This is the future isn't it? Stream games to your TV rather than having to rely on a console?

I've thought so since I first heard about OnLive. Now OnLive was ahead of its time; not enough people had sufficiently sci-fi Internet connections to make it viable. But that'll change in time. I suspect Sony are aware of this and are playing the long game here.

Go read about OnLive. It works, but on most people's current connections, it has two problems that are somewhere between "annoying" and "crippling": image quality (because the game has been run through a video encoder before being streamed to you) and controller lag (because of the round trip time between your controller and the server that actually runs the game).

These issues with OnLive are laws-of-physics type things, so unlikely to be substantially different on PSNow (perhaps a little better or a little worse). So it could be iffy at first, especially if you're picky and not on a great connection. But people's Internet connections will continue to improve in the next decade and that'll iron away both of those problems.

I reckon that the video feed will be 720p, absolute best case scenario, by design. If they started boasting about 1080p streaming video, it would make their new machine look a bit redundant - why not just stream PS4 content too then?

720p wouldn't hurt PS3 games, that was the most common resolution for last-gen games.

Go read about OnLive. It works, but on most people's current connections, it has two problems that are somewhere between "annoying" and "crippling": image quality (because the game has been run through a video encoder before being streamed to you) and controller lag (because of the round trip time between your controller and the server that actually runs the game).

These issues with OnLive are laws-of-physics type things, so unlikely to be substantially different on PSNow (perhaps a little better or a little worse). So it could be iffy at first, especially if you're picky and not on a great connection. But people's Internet connections will continue to improve in the next decade and that'll iron away both of those problems.

Image quality can increase as bandwidth improves. Lag really is bound by laws of physics so any improvements will be marginal now as speed of light pretty much restricts you... So unless we have servers streaming to us from couple of miles away we will still have lag markedly worse than any home experience. The onlive/gaikai tech is clever but flawed

Hopefully they allow you to use pre-existing save-games somehow.

We're obviously all hoping that they'll roll it into the PSPlus subscription - instant library of every PS3 game ever. That sounds a bit too generous to be realistic though.

If they allow you to use physical disks as a key to free access to games, then we have de-facto backwards compatibility.

I'd be interested to know what kind of connection you would really need here. I'm on BT Infinity but the best I'll get reliably is about 20Mb... And that wasn't enough to play an action game using OnLive

They were saying a stable 5MB (minimum) connection is required, I have between 60-80Mb so should be good here.

If they allow you to use physical disks as a key to free access to games, then we have de-facto backwards compatibility.

I really like that idea but I can't see it happening. I'd be happy to pay a couple of quid a month to get rid of my physical back catalogue and I assume that Sony would prefer me to do this too.

Image quality can increase as bandwidth improves. Lag really is bound by laws of physics so any improvements will be marginal now as speed of light pretty much restricts you... So unless we have servers streaming to us from couple of miles away we will still have lag markedly worse than any home experience. The onlive/gaikai tech is clever but flawed

At home on ADSL I get sub-5 ms ping times to google.com. In work, on our datacentre connection, that's below 1 ms. That lag compares very favourably with the 60-80 ms most TVs are adding with the post-processing engines without people even noticing.

Sub 5ms? I am in an averagely rural area and get a consistent 15m connection. I'll have to check my ping to Google but it will be nowhere near that.

I think? I'm in work now, I'll check again when I go home.

Even 15 ms is excellent compared to telly lag. You could realistically switch to online streaming, switch your TV into game mode, and see less lag overall.

Even 15 ms is excellent compared to telly lag. You could realistically switch to online streaming, switch your TV into game mode, and see less lag overall.

My BT Infinity connection gets 30ms when I ping www.google.com. Even so, I'm not sure I understand this point about latency comparing well to TV - I still have the TV latency to add on whatever I'm using?