rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fragmaster

What to do with all this Amiga stuff?

I know the format differs, at least the disks themselves are functionally the same from a hardware perspective but the controller/software used to write to them differs (therefore without extra hardware, a PC cannot write to or create an 'Amiga' formatted disk. I think Amiga disks are more susceptible to damage when being removed, ie when in use as the way they are read from differs from a normal IBM PC and that can cause a lot of troubles with corruption. A lot of this is from memory though.

The biggest thing with any floppy and whether it lasts or not is how it's stored and the conditions under which it goes through. I was lucky enough to have enough room to keep all this stuff indoors in a dry house where I don't mess around with the temp that much, moisture is another killer and if I stored all this stuff in a garage no doubt most of the floppies would be dead. I honestly probably got lucky with the ones I tried but I didn't have any issues at all :)

And you guys have made me seriously question whether I should pull the auction and get rid of the 1084S from it... :lol:

Until fairly recently (in the last couple of years), PC drives couldn't read Amiga disks due to hardware differences in the drives themselves.

I remember looking in to it a while ago, I had some bat-shit crazy idea of trying to back up loads of stuff I had on floppies. I had two options pretty much and that was buying a controller card so my PC could read Amiga disks, this was expensive as hell (Catweazel), or I could transfer it over serial connection and wait hours for next to nothing :P

Pretty interesting stuff though, for what it's worth, my CD-Rs from the mid-90s have all fared much much worse than any of my floppies have, with even some of the foil layer peeling on some of them. That'll teach me for buying cheap shitty CDs.

Great collection!

Aww man I would love a decent Amiga collection - could never afford one back in the day but many fond memories of playing on a mates A500+ on Pinball Fantasies, Super Frog and Wizkid :wub:

In fact I may have a trip to some car boots and see what I can get - or if anyone in the Manchester area would like to rid some Amiga stuff let me know.

I've always loved the idea of having an A1200 connected to a 1084 monitor, with everything WHDloaded onto it, CPU/RAM maxed out, with a Kickstart 1.3 OCS switch to turn it into a vanilla A500 - and a CD drive for CD32 and CDTV stuff, with a couple of Competition Pros, set up in some nook or cranny in my house somewhere. Problem is I know I'd spend a lot of time and money hunting everything down, getting it here, setting it up, making it work - then I'd play with it for about an hour and get bored.

So generally I'm stuck with buggy, fiddly emulation.

These one-click Amiga games I posted in another thread recently are very cool though - they load instantly, with optimal settings, everything configured for your display/controllers etc - these all seem to run much more smoothly and prettily than games generally do in WinUAE - http://thecompany.pl/game

I've always loved the idea of having an A1200 connected to a 1084 monitor, with everything WHDloaded onto it, CPU/RAM maxed out, with a Kickstart 1.3 OCS switch to turn it into a vanilla A500 - and a CD drive for CD32 and CDTV stuff, with a couple of Competition Pros, set up in some nook or cranny in my house somewhere. Problem is I know I'd spend a lot of time and money hunting everything down, getting it here, setting it up, making it work - then I'd play with it for about an hour and get bored.

So generally I'm stuck with buggy, fiddly emulation.

These one-click Amiga games I posted in another thread recently are very cool though - they load instantly, with optimal settings, everything configured for your display/controllers etc - these all seem to run much more smoothly and prettily than games generally do in WinUAE - http://thecompany.pl/game

Cheapest option in that regard imo is to pick up an A600 (which you can fit a 2.5" HDD to, has internal IDE/PCMCIA slot), and set up WHDload on that. If I remember, nearly everything worked on the A600 anyway, barring a couple of things and they can be had for next to nothing.

Yes but in my dream Amiga setup there would have to be capabilities for AGA games - just because they were such objects of lust in my A500 owning youth, and CD games. Even the CDTV stuff looked next-level in the screenshots in Amiga Format, even though I know most of it was crap. I'd love to just be able to rent a system like that for a few days but I guess that's a pretty niche market that isn't really covered by the rental sector.

I think the disks are pretty durable. Back in 2007/8 I responded to an ad in the paper with some guy clearing out a load of old Commodore games which were water damaged. They were in huge archive boxes and when I got them home I dried them all out. A fair chunk didn't work but loads did and they must have been 20 years old.

That hits the nail on the head.

The hobby isn't playing the games, it's finding everything and then trying to get it all to work.

It's like doing up an old car. You end up with something that you've wanted for years, you've got a real emotional connection with it, but then drive it and realise it's shit compared to a modern car.

But you keep it in the garage, convincing yourself that you'll go out for a few Sunday drives when the reality is you'll spend hours tinkering and fixing just to get it going.