Wreckfest - Bugbear (IBM Compatibles)

Dimahoo

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

always hated the Sony analogue sticks but in particular the silly little flappy triggers in all their iterations, feels difficult to hold a point to slide nicely at 50% trigger which I can do with ease on the Xbox triggers. personal feeling but don't think they are ergonomic or decent joypads at all.

The DualSense definitely does not have flappy triggers, each to their own though. 

43 minutes ago, Pob said:

Could that mean DualSense integration? Been playing it on Series X and I must say the rumble and haptic trigger usage is brilliant.

Ah yes didn't think of that - quite possible so. WRC9 uses it brilliantly on PS5.

37 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The feedback is great. I'm not someone to discount a game completely based on 30fps. As long as it's a steady 30 I'm happy but there's no denying 60 makes this game sing.

Yes I have no issue with Wreckfest but it’ll no doubt be better at 60.

Quite a few people seemed to say they wouldn’t buy DriveClub because it was 30 fps, they missed out on one of the best ever racers.

12 minutes ago, Ry said:

Played a few races last night for the first time at 4k 60. 

Love this game. The boost is so good. 

I like that people online are shite. :)

Are they? That sounds encouraging, I might have a wander into the online games and see.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-29-wreckfest-comes-to-ps5-with-usd10-upgrade-in-june

A PlayStation 5 version of Wreckfest will launch on 1st June, publisher THQ Nordic has announced.

It'll be priced £34.99/$39.99/€39.99, or existing PS4 owners can upgrade for $10/€10/£TBA. Oddly there's no word on an Xbox Series X/S version.

Multiplayer has been bumped up to 24 players, while the game runs "with a wonderful 4K resolution at a smooth 60 frames per second".

Back in 2019, Eurogamer petrolhead Martin noted that the PS4 version had "excruicatingly long" loading times and a frame-rate "well short of 60fps", though he still recommended the game overall.

Other improvements include dynamic dirt on vehicles, new visual effects for skidmarks, increased foliage, godrays, and improvements to lighting, particle effects and shadows.

Curious.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Hmm so any reason they can’t put out a FPS unlock patch for the existing PS4 version similar to XBOX? It’s only a tenner to upgrade but seems a bit unnecessary. The decent thing to do would be both and let those pay to upgrade who want the additional features.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmm so any reason they can’t put out a FPS unlock patch for the existing PS4 version similar to XBOX? It’s only a tenner to upgrade but seems a bit unnecessary. The decent thing to do would be both and let those pay to upgrade who want the additional features.

It also seems strange to have two different set ups for the two different consoles. I'd be happy to pay a tenner for those next-gen upgrades on Xbox.

The PS4-PS5 thing isn't just like pushing a patch to Xbox Series, apparently. It requires a whole new version of the game, which is why it might be an upgrade, so it's pushed through the store or whatever. I think that's right. The online players, dirt and new skidmarks and god rays etc weren't in the Series patch as far as I'm aware, but it's 60 frames and free so I don't give a fuck.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

The PS4-PS5 thing isn't just like pushing a patch to Xbox Series, apparently. It requires a whole new version of the game, which is why it might be an upgrade, so it's pushed through the store or whatever. I think that's right. The online players, dirt and new skidmarks and god rays etc weren't in the Series patch as far as I'm aware, but it's 60 frames and free so I don't give a fuck.

Hmm, I think they need to explain it if that’s the case, does the PS4 version run inconsistently on PS5 with an unlocked framerate or is there a reason they can’t unlock it? At the moment it just looks like a bit of a cash grab from PS owners.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmm, I think they need to explain it if that’s the case, does the PS4 version run inconsistently on PS5 with an unlocked framerate or is there a reason they can’t unlock it? At the moment it just looks like a bit of a cash grab from PS owners.

As far as I'm aware the PS4 version runs at 30 on Ps5. The little I understand of the backwards compatibility of the PS5 is that you can't just update the PS4 version to take advantage of the PS5 power like you can with the Series. Someone else with a Ps5 will be able to tell us better and if I'm wrong.

From what I've heard, moosegrinder is right. It's technically a relatively trivial thing to do on xbox one that the X|S can take advantage of (although they'll have to test the crap out of it again which is why not all games do it) but there are hoops to jump through involved for PS. 

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

As far as I'm aware the PS4 version runs at 30 on Ps5. The little I understand of the backwards compatibility of the PS5 is that you can't just update the PS4 version to take advantage of the PS5 power like you can with the Series. Someone else with a Ps5 will be able to tell us better and if I'm wrong.

Unless there’s some technical reason they can’t do it I’d have thought unlocking the framerate would be enough. I’ve recently bought Project Cars 3 and that basically runs differently/better as you move from PS4 to PRO to PS5, because it had an unlocked framerate in the first place.

Did they patch the XBOX version or did it just happen? If it just happened with MS magic then fair enough but I thought they patched it.

yeah it's brilliant for kids. I can't remember how old my boy was when we first played it, but it was probably still called Next Car Game at the time and he got upset seeing the cars all broken :lol: 

Didn't take long for him to get over that, he loves it still now.

4 minutes ago, milko said:

yeah it's brilliant for kids. I can't remember how old my boy was when we first played it, but it was probably still called Next Car Game at the time and he got upset seeing the cars all broken :lol: 

Ha, that's so cute.

27 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Stuff running in BC mode does not have access to the full power of the PS5, unlike stuff running on the X/S. So they could have unlocked it but it'd been a half hearted job, so they went all in and did it proper. And people are unhappy they might have to fling them £10 quid for a proper update instead of a switch flipping one. Gamers. :(

in principle I've no issue with paying a small fee for an upgraded version of a game - wonder what you get for your tenner though over the PC version or the Xbox update

they should pay me at least a fiver to go back to the dual shock after loving this back with a proper pad again on Xbox.

I believe most people here who play this on Xbox do so via gamepass, if they launch the £10 dlc for the upgrade you'll then be dependent on the game remaining on gamepass to be able to play the upgraded version (if my understanding of how gamepass works is correct).

I bought it on PS5 but prefer the Xbox version, not sure now which one to upgrade.