IGNORED

Rick and Morty

Halo

I liked how this tied into the previous episode, with Evil Morty showing the same self belief, composure and success as detoxed Morty. It explained how in a multiverse full of pathetic self doubting Mortys that EM could have come about as opposed just a weak excuse of there being so many it was bound to just happen. 

19 hours ago, sir podger said:

Hide contents

I liked how this tied into the previous episode, with Evil Morty showing the same self belief, composure and success as detoxed Morty. It explained how in a multiverse full of pathetic self doubting Mortys that EM could have come about as opposed just a weak excuse of there being so many it was bound to just happen. 

I've got my own theory on where he came from.

Its probably bollocks but I enjoy it.

On 12/09/2017 at 15:10, cavalcade said:

Season 3 has been poor so far. Episode 1 was good, Pickle Rick OK, but the rest very lazy and poorly scripted. But 3.7 was superb and a reminder that when R&M is at its best there's not a lot that can touch it. 

I absolutely wholeheartedly cannot get on board with this. I get that maybe some of the ideas they've gone for haven't quite worked for you but to call it lazy? Even when they're doing something like "Rick and Morty do Mad Max", which could have been a really lazy pastiche ripping off thing a la Scary Movie etc. But it's not, it's about Morty and Summer dealing with their parents divorcing, and doing that via a Mad Max pastiche. 

As I say, I can understand if certain ideas don't chime with you, I was never a fan of the cronenburgh episode for example, but to call it lazy/poorly scripted is mad. They clearly put so much into every episode of this show and for me it's one of the best seasons of a thing I've seen in TV in years. 

No, I disagree. The show has slid since the middle/end of Season 2 (I'm not alone in thinking this - the marks on aggregation sites from the audience have backed this up) and while 3.1 was good, until 3.7 this season has been mostly poor. 

Look at the Avengers episode and tell me the quality of the scripting and ideas comes anywhere near to Total Rickall. Of course it doesn't. 

I liked the new one. Nice "light" (sarcasm) and fun episode compared to the dark of Ricklantis. but with a fun twist on the proceedings that is so Rick and Morty. Glad they didn't do another Interdimensional Cable, that joke had run it's course by mid-way through the second take on it.

On 12/09/2017 at 15:10, cavalcade said:

Season 3 has been poor so far. Very lazy and poorly scripted.

Lazy? Poorly scripted? Are you trolling?

I honestly can't think of a show where there is more thought, care and attention crammed into 22mins.

For me, it's right up there (with Inside No.9) as some of the very best TV around.

It was - but this season has largely been poorly scripted, yes. 

As I've said, you can look at review aggregation sites for both critical and audience reviews to see that there was a golden age of RnM (after the Meseeks ep in S1, to the middle of S2) and it has been in something of a decline since. I'm not alone in thinking this (generally, clearly not here).

I still think it's good. I have a Mr Meeseeks sitting on my desk at work. I have a Rick and Morty coffee mug. I'm not shitting on your parade guys - I LIKE RICK AND MORTY. But the reality is, if you look at, say the Avengers episode and compare it to the best RnM it's not in the same class. Jokes don't hit as well, pastiches tend to be lazy and it's suffering from the same thing Doctor Who suffers from, which is it's hard to spin entertainment from an omnipitent super being who's more powerful that everyone else. We could go into other problems too, which is how the show is suffering without the dysfunctional family dynamics at the core, how they're struggling to decide how to position Summer and Morty, the over-reliance on slapstick violence.... 

3.1 and 3.7 have been excellent this season. The rest has been RnM on autopilot. 

Also comparing one of the poorer episodes of the series to the all timers from season 1 and 2 is a cheap way of not really proving your point. A bit lazy, writing wise, you know? 

The opening ep, Pickle Rick and The Citadel episodes are up there with Meeseeks and Total Rickall. Easily. The Citadel ep is the best episode of Rick and Morty. 

And the the rest of the episodes this season are easily better than the more average offerings from the previous two seasons. 

I think what we're all overlooking here is that the lack of Jerry in Season 3 has proven to be pointless and therefore scandalous. We all love a Citadel episode, but for the love of God what is happening to Jerry? Where's the divorcee story lines? The Beth stalking? The fake Beth made from a rake and yogurt pots? The desperate bar crawling and relentless rejection culminating in some self-flagellating plea deal with Rick to crowbar him back into the family home sans dignity or soul? What the hell are they doing making Rick into a pickle when there's Jerry stories to tell!

If I'm honest S3 has been a disappointment so far. There are a few laughs but nothing that has had given me belly laughs or blown my mind. If you asked me to recall the basic thread of most episodes this season I couldn't. Something is missing. It's R&M but... dunno. It's missing some of the magic of s1 & 2 imo.