Worst game of the year 2013

For me, Tomb Raider was the specific game that really had very little wrong with it, I just played it through to completion without really enjoying most of...

This post makes sense but it and others like it seem to infer that big budget, accessible titles with high-production values are the only games that get made these days but for every one of these there is a Dark Souls or Fez or Resogun. Gaming really has never been better.

Not an original observation but the problem with making impressive set pieces in AAA games, such as that one in Tomb Raider, challenging is that that Hollywood sheen immediately evaporates on retry. Obviously you can argue about what place such blockbuster-aping sequences have in games anyway but I think it's entirely understandable to want the player to experience as intended.

Not released this year but the worst game I played was AC3, particularly in contrast to the general brilliance of 4 and my recollections of 2. The few hours I tolerated were truly painful.

How's this thread doing for your "most people on here don't just play the big titles" thing?

OK, number one, we're talking about almost five people. Number two, even if every single person on the forum played the biggest game ever upon release, it would have no bearing on what else they played that year, big or otherwise. That's why they're "big" games, lots of people play them. Here and elsewhere. I don't really see your point - a lot of people on rllmuk played a game that a lot of people played? Sure. You're doing your weird Rubberjohnny either/or thing again.

OK, number one, we're talking about almost five people. Number two, even if every single person on the forum played the biggest game ever upon release, it would have no bearing on what else they played that year, big or otherwise. That's why they're "big" games, lots of people play them. Here and elsewhere. I don't really see your point - a lot of people on rllmuk played a game that a lot of people played? Sure. You're doing your weird Rubberjohnny either/or thing again.

It's interesting - I would say there is a fair proportion of people on here who seek out different gaming experiences, the rare, the indie and the import. But even then we go back to a staple diet of the "big games/names".

So if someone felt that one of the triple A titles was the one they had enjoyed the least, it would be for a reason...

I'd probably agree with AC3, it's like it was made by the part time work experience team in comparison the AC4 and bizarrely, it is also quite similar to 3 in many ways (aside from the fact it's AC, obv) that makes me wonder if 3 should have been out a lot earlier or not at all.

Again though, this is worst game I've played. Something like Lococycle looked loads worse in the grand scheme of things but I wouldn't know if it isn't actually fantastic . Although I doubt it very much.

AC3 wasn't a bad game. It had lots of bad bits, and it was a bad Assassin's Creed game (it seemed to forget how to be Assassin's Creed), but if you just play through the story and avoid all the tedious side stuff and awful naval shite, it it pretty decent.

It was also out last year so doesn't count anyway.

AC3 wasn't a bad game. It had lots of bad bits, and it was a bad Assassin's Creed game (it seemed to forget how to be Assassin's Creed), but if you just play through the story and avoid all the tedious side stuff and awful naval shite, it it pretty decent.

It was also out last year so doesn't count anyway.

Fair enough, well it was probably the worst game I played this year.

Or maybe in regards to actually released this year, probably something on XBLA that I played a demo of but was too crap to go further.

Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag, I haven't really played much this year like but its a staccato game

The first mission at the fort, it didn't even tell me that you could ledge assasinate, it told you in a tutorial afterwards? So I was pissing around for ages trying to sneak around everyone until I gave up and read a walk through and it said ledge kill!

The first contract I did it was awesome...but then turned to shit, I took out the guards on the roof, dived into the haystack, killed the guard, climbed back on the roof, jumped down and killed 2 guards, hid in the well and when the target came to investigate I dragged him into the well, brilliant but then there was one guard left, I ran up to him from behind but my character climbed sideways onto a crate and he turned around and started shooting and the other guards came running in all because of the stupid controls and it just ruined it, I turned it off at the wall

I think AC3 would have been much better received if they took all the present day stuff out, dropped the Assassin's Creed name and premise, and just played as totally new Pirate/Native American action game IP.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. If it was basically Last of the Mohicans - The Game, I'd have enjoyed it a load more, the frontier bits where far more enjoyable than the other parts.

The stuff in the cave with Desmond and team was just weird and there was loads of really annoying walk two paces - cutscene - walk two paces bits in the present day. The bit where you climbed the crane and parachuted into somewhere was really, really weird for that. Climb to top of tower yourself, cutscene at top, jump off tower yourself, cutscene of opening parachute, guide parachute in yourself, cutscene of landing, walk a bit on the roof, cutscene magically appear in the building and then cutscene magically appear in a truck on the way home after miraculously escaping the really high security place you had to parachute in to. Strange.

I've not played many stinkers this year, Stayed away from Aliens Colonel Marines and messed around for 20 minutes in the new Sim City. The worst game I've played was Assassins Creed IV - Black Flag.

You'd think it's hard to go wrong with a Pirate themed game but I absolutely hated the lightweight combat and the enemy AI is just throwaway dated garbage.

The problem is the worst game I generally played each year is bound to be a bit dull/off the radar.

I dont tend to buy games I wont enjoy (clever see :) ) no time or money to waste... But PS+ and humble bundles means I try alot of games I wouldnt normally purchase so my "worst game" is likely to be there ... Ironically my fave games and biggrest time sinks belong to that category as well (FTL and velocity thingy for instance)

So I suppose Chronovolt (Vita) and Awesomenauts (PC) are equal for me in sort of "meh". To be truly bad I'd have to actively buy something like Colonial Marines. A special Mention for Stealth inc (Or bastard deluxe) as for a while it was super game and then the tedious restarting and frustration of pixel perfect nonsense ruined it.

As for AAA/trad console stuff? I didnt play a bad one this year.

EDIT - ok awesomenauts was 2012

Actually, I'm rescinding my call on Tomb Raider being the worst game I played this year. It was the worst game I bought this year, but now I'm thinking about it, Lovefilm sent me the new Star Trek game. That's the worst thing I played. So linear, it makes Tomb Raider seem like Far Cry 3 in comparison.

To Stroker's point, I'm glad I don't pirate anymore, I was exactly that before, played absolutely every game ever but more like 'played a bit of' every game ever and it also made me not spend enough time on those rough gems. I'm sure if I'd have been yarring as much as I used to I wouldn't have put the effort in to things like Virtue's Last Reward or Deadly Premonition and even with bought games I've got a hell of a pile of stuff to get through.

That some people think the worst game of the year was Assassin's Creed IV or Tomb Raider is proof piracy made for smarter gamers. Things were good back in the day when Yod@ was doing his thing and everyone played everything, even the real shite.

Go play Ben 10: Omniverse or Family Party: 30 Great (A LIE) Games and tell me Tomb Raider is the worst game of the year, you knobs.

Merry Christmas my lovelies!

There's just so much stuff these days that there's not even time to play the crappy stuff, unless you never put any time into the better titles and spread yourself thin.

Of all the free stuff on PSN, I probably play about a quarter at most, and of those games I rarely get more than a quarter of the way through.

Too much games.

That some people think the worst game of the year was Assassin's Creed IV or Tomb Raider is proof piracy made for smarter gamers. Things were good back in the day when Yod@ was doing his thing and everyone played everything, even the real shite.
Go play Ben 10: Omniverse or Family Party: 30 Great (A LIE) Games and tell me Tomb Raider is the worst game of the year, you knobs.
Merry Christmas my lovelies!

For me I don't think piracy has anything to do with it. It's time. Not everyone can play everyday. If you had read through the thread you will know that most people don't consider their choice to be the worst game of year, just the worst game they have played. Why should I waste my time playing through games like Ben 10 if I'm sure that I'm not going to like it?

I guess if a thread needs a new title it should be "Worst game you have played in 2013".

Actually scratch that... The worst game of the year is going to be some IAP laden POS on IOS (too many TLAs!!)

Tiny Death Star? It sticks in my head but I have played a few freebie "games" that do not deserve the name "game"

Or any IOS game with "energy" you can buy, there was a particular egregious example but doesn't straight into my head!

God iOS gaming went downhill this year due to f2p...

OK, number one, we're talking about almost five people. Number two, even if every single person on the forum played the biggest game ever upon release, it would have no bearing on what else they played that year, big or otherwise. That's why they're "big" games, lots of people play them. Here and elsewhere. I don't really see your point - a lot of people on rllmuk played a game that a lot of people played?

LOL chill out! Just a joke, based on loads of people saying stuff like tomb raider, the last of us and Bioshock were the worst games they played, which implied they didn't play many games and the ones they did we're very polished.

Worst game I've played?

Well the PS3 didn't see much use this year and I've played many dodgy iOS games but can't remember their names. The PS4 did get a lot of use however and out of everything I tried, DC Universe Online seemed terrible.

Admittedly I didn't give it the time it might deserve but the tutorials I played gave the impression of it being a clunky mess that was stuck in the last gen. I'm sure there's many worse games out there, but this really struck me as being a massive waste of time. I know a lot of players love it but it just didn't work for me.

Worst game I've played this year is either Dark or Darkout. Dark is a low-budget stealth game that tries to combine Chaos Theory with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which sounds like it could be interesting, but the development team obviously didn't have budget, the time or the talent to make anything more out of it than a below-average, badly designed and boring stealth 'em up. Darkout is a terrible Terraria clone with a really ugly art style. It's gimmick is that the darkness brings out these hostile creatures, but that only adds frustration and tedium to the formula. Darkout is probably the worst of the two, with Dark you can tell that the developer meant well and really tried to make something decent with what little they had.

Most disappointing game of 2013 is Bioshock: Infinite. I loved the first one, liked the second one, but this one just goes to shit due to the combat. It's not a bad game by any means, but with Metro: Last Light showing how it's perfectly possible to combine atmosphere and a focus on storytelling with enjoyable combat, there's really no excuse. Especially since it's a massive step back from the first game. Looks lovely, but I expected so much more - therefore, it's disappointing to me.

LOL chill out! Just a joke, based on loads of people saying stuff like tomb raider, the last of us and Bioshock were the worst games they played, which implied they didn't play many games and the ones they did we're very polished.

I address you to my previous comments on that matter.

And am tempted to put together a list of games played this year just to show how it's possible to play a large number of games, many "unpolished", and still consider the games you listed as your worst in the year. Indeed, as someone with a well-publicised dislike of the kind of exactly the sorts of game TR et al. represent I'm surprised that you'd automatically assume that people listing those games would be doing so because all they play is AAA fare, rather than because they have a similar dislike of that school of game design to your own.

Worst game of the year would have to be the new Hitman game (wait that was last year but I only played it this year). This year's worst game for me was Sim City. Too many updates, not enough space and a complete clusterfuck from beginning to end.

Most disappointing game of the year would probably be Bioshock Infinite. I could go along with the spells (lets call them what they are), the floating cities, the crazy plot but I couldn't get my head around the fact that a normal bloke could jump down 30 metres all the time without breaking his fucking legs. Really annoyed me. Plus why not play the entire game using her as a shield seeing as no-one bloody shot at her.

Ha OK I misread you there. :)

The worst game I played this year (even accounting for memory-freshness) was the latest Killzone. The mechanics were perfectly fine but the actual game design was jumbled nonsense, completely incapable of directing the player successfully. It made me feel drunk, which is the best way I can describe it.

If Tomb Raider is the worst game of 2013 we truly are witnessing a golden age.

Not even Smitty could argue it's that bad. I know there is an entire thread where he does but he's not being serious.

This is nonsense. I don't think it's anywhere near worst game of the year territory and I never suggested that.

Also my views on that game are entirely serious.

Urban Trial Freestyle. A Trials ripoff without any of the nuance or finesse to the controls whatsoever. This seems OK and is reasonable fun, until you get to the point where you realise the game becomes controller smashingly irritating because it starts to need this nuance of control but can't cater for it. Utterly infuriating.

I can't think of anything that I have played that I hated more than Urban Trials Freestyle.

It's a shit Trials ripoff that I got free from PS+, I would pay Sony to take it back. Floaty controls, boring levels and beings nothing to the table.

Insta-Delete.

I think the biggest disappointment for me is Brothers. It took me a while to get round to it but finally caved after hearing so much praise for the game. I'm only coming in here to post because of the people jokingly saying that all you do is push up on the stick to complete Tomb Raider, well have I got the game for you! It's clearly an advancement though because you get to push up on two sticks to complete the game, that's at least twice as good.

I've just come out of the caves, which I had to play through twice thank you because of an awful bug. Hopefully someone will come along and say it improves but yeah, I'm going for Brothers as most over hyped/disappointing. That's not to say it's terrible or the worst thing I've played all year.