Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

From the point of view of the average person who isn't well versed in The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, they're random. Not to labour this point, but I'd wager that more people interested in these games have read Hyrule Histora than have even held any 14th century Chinese literature. Myself included.

Given the popularity of musou in China, I'd wager there are far, far more people familiar with the characters in Dynasty Warriors that have read the Hyrule bloody Historia. There's a reason the Dynasty Warriors movie is a Chinese production. 

I mean, if by 'people interested in these games' you mean only the western, English-speaking ones then fine, but you'll be ignoring a significant chunk of the musou audience. One for which the Zelda characters are likely as meaningless as Lu Bu is to you.

6 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

From the point of view of the average person who isn't well versed in The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, they're random. Not to labour this point, but I'd wager that more people interested in these games have read Hyrule Histora than have even held any 14th century Chinese literature. Myself included.

I've never read Hyrule Historia but I have read some Three Kingdoms literature (and seen a few films about it).

But I still don't know any of them.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Only two days to go now. Am I the only one who's really excited about this release? 

Just rinsed GoW a couple of days ago so now I'm ready for some grinding in Hyrule!

I'm so excited I've just bought Fire Emblem to "Prepare me for the genre". Couldn't wait until Friday. There's logic in there somewhere. Watched a few Gameplay vids earlier and it looks excellent 

On 25/03/2018 at 03:33, Stanley said:

I wonder if they're deliberately holding back DQHII now because of this.

The port was a bit iffy and the large game card made it pretty expensive in Japan, so they might have just decided to not bother. 

8 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I'm so excited I've just bought Fire Emblem to "Prepare me for the genre".

I bought Fire Emblem a couple of weeks back too, just to whet the appetite.

I mean, I finished this game on the Woo already. I dunno :D

8 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I'm so excited I've just bought Fire Emblem to "Prepare me for the genre".

Well that's great because now you don't need HYRULE WARRIORS until Christmas.

I started playing this and it's pretty much as I expected from my limited experience with the genre. I assume there's some skill ceiling once you get going but I did enjoy a bit of mashing and started to figure out some different combos. It's probably more varied than I thought it would be. Presentation is perfectly good, nothing special but functional. Seems to be a tremendous amount of game here, too. I hope it keeps opening up because I like the idea of a tactical button basher and I've held off on other tempting examples in the genre because I knew this was coming and it looked most appealing. 

Been on this for a good chunk this evening. It's a fantastic game. Damn. It's so satisfying comboing through waves of grunts and saving your magic and stuff for the bosses. In a funny way, it really reminds me of shmups. Loads of popcorn, larger enemies which need a touch more attention and a little tactical savvy and then big bosses which require a more careful approach and a focus on survival. It's scratching a similar itch, anyway. Weird game which I never really thought I'd love but this is so welcome on the Switch. Delighted with it. 

7 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Been on this for a good chunk this evening. It's a fantastic game. Damn. It's so satisfying comboing through waves of grunts and saving your magic and stuff for the bosses. In a funny way, it really reminds me of shmups. Loads of popcorn, larger enemies which need a touch more attention and a little tactical savvy and then big bosses which require a more careful approach and a focus on survival. It's scratching a similar itch, anyway. Weird game which I never really thought I'd love but this is so welcome on the Switch. Delighted with it. 

SEE? SEE?

59 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

You’re really making me want to buy this now.

I would say have a proper look at some gameplay before taking my praise and excitement as a recommendation. It is a very repetitive game, just one that's executed really really well. I like repetitive stuff with little tweaks and shifts in tempo (which is kind of what I was saying with the shmup comparison, it's that kind of constant action with only very brief ebbs).

32 minutes ago, joemul said:

The graphics on the official switch trailer look N64 bad. Are they that bad in practice?

Well, it looks pretty much as any gameplay video will be able to show you. I have got some proper N64/Wii vibes from the environments, definitely adds to the charm for me so you can see my level of bias! 

11 hours ago, Stanshall said:

This is just the beginning. Things turn into a battlefield wave management exercise eventually once you've front-loaded all of the combos and fighting. It's like Super Mario Sunshine having to wash away the enemy coloured 'paint' from the mini map.

It's a really good tool for stress relief. Not just the smashing through hundreds of foes but also unlocking more and more blocks in Adventure Mode.

11 hours ago, freezycold said:

So my friend and I are trying to play this in co-op and have no idea how to actually get it going. We can't see any way to play together. Any ideas?

I had this problem too. What you have to do is on the character select screen before a mission click l3 on the first controller, this takes you to the select controller screen. Confirm through this screen and it will then allow two players. 

You'll need to repeat this every misson. 

The Adventure Mode in this is just fantastic. What a great little game this turned out to be. I really can’t fault much here, it tickles me in all the right places. Oh, and the music is just pure heaven!

Having played this on someone else's review copy I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is it everything Dynasty Warriors is, it features relatable characters, known references and OH MY GOD SO MANY POSITIVE TWEAKS for the series. (Shaded enemies instead of health bars? BRILLIANT.) I'm not sad about Dynasty Warriors 9 turning out to be a turd any more. This basically polishes the formula into what it should be.

Can't wait for...

Spoiler

afbeelding.png.cc8e05a9c9ddeafc89846d1b2ccbd5c8.png

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I would say have a proper look at some gameplay before taking my praise and excitement as a recommendation. It is a very repetitive game, just one that's executed really really well. I like repetitive stuff with little tweaks and shifts in tempo (which is kind of what I was saying with the shmup comparison, it's that kind of constant action with only very brief ebbs).

Would you say it’s the sort of game that demands your full focus like a shoot em up, or is it something you can play with half an eye on the telly?

I'd say that while it's certainly more forgiving than a shmup - you don't die very quickly - it's not like, say, Mario + Rabbids or Advance Wars where you basically pause every few moments. It's more like Bayonetta pacing but with fewer moments where you're not in combat. 

I'd love to play this in versus against my mate, controlling two separate largely incompetent armies, mowing down the opposition forces and taking outposts across the map before a grand final duel atop Death Mountain.