IGNORED

Neil Gaiman's Sandman - Now Netflix/WB co-production

Goose

7 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Technically it’s in the DC universe.

Indeed it is but not many of the big hitters turn up? 

Not listened to the audio btw but did they explain who matthew the raven was in that? 

17 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Technically it’s in the DC universe.

That shouldn't let it put anybody off. It's derived from a DC character from their Golden Age who fought crime by sending baddies to sleep with a gas he blew at them but Neil Gaiman's Sandman is about as far removed from that as its possible to get and is not in any way superheroey.

@IcEBuRN His version focusses on a character called Dream who is the  personification of all dreams and stories. He resides over a fantastical realm called The Dreaming along with his siblings Desire, Despair, Delerium and others, all personifications of those specific elements of human existence. Rounded out by Death, in this story, not a skeleton with a scythe and a cloak but a cute goth girl who makes friends with you before she takes your life.

Trying to sum up Sandman in a forum post is impossible, it's a deep and complex collection of stories that is rich in poetry, horror and fantasy and was one of the key series that got comics recognised as a literary artform along with Watchmen, Dark Knight et al in the 80s. In my opinion, it's the most important out of any of those titles, it's still a beautiful piece of work and I don't think it's aged a single day. 

I'm almost finished re-reading Sandman, and its even better reading them consecutively and so many memories it brought back. However, even I have to say I can't fathom how a live action will do it justice to the original material.  Also I feel like Gwendoline Christie should be playing Desire than Lucifier.

You are missing the following DC characters in the comic though. 

Hypolyta 

John Constantine

Cain 

Abel 

Matthew the raven 

Dr Destiny 

Phantom Stranger 

That's off the top of my head so I've probably missed some, but you really don't need to know anything about the DC universe to watch sandman. 

As per @KartoffelKopf post.

And then you can buy all the absolute editions and read it all, then read Overture which forces you to re-analyse what came before and start again. 

4 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I'm almost finished re-reading Sandman, and its even better reading them consecutively and so many memories it brought back. However, even I have to say I can't fathom how a live action will do it justice to the original material.  Also I feel like Gwendoline Christie should be playing Desire than Lucifier.

Thats who I thought she was going to be when her casting was announced tbh, as I see that working. But think the Lucifer casting is just as good. 

3 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

That shouldn't let it put anybody off. It's derived from a DC character from their Golden Age who fought crime by sending baddies to sleep with a gas he blew at them but Neil Gaiman's Sandman is about as far removed from that as its possible to get and is not in any way superheroey.

@IcEBuRN His version focusses on a character called Dream who is the  personification of all dreams and stories. He resides over a fantastical realm called The Dreaming along with his siblings Desire, Despair, Delerium and others, all personifications of those specific elements of human existence. Rounded out by Death, in this story, not a skeleton with a scythe and a cloak but a cute goth girl who makes friends with you before she takes your life.

Trying to sum up Sandman in a forum post is impossible, it's a deep and complex collection of stories that is rich in poetry, horror and fantasy and was one of the key series that got comics recognised as a literary artform along with Watchmen, Dark Knight et al in the 80s. In my opinion, it's the most important out of any of those titles, it's still a beautiful piece of work and I don't think it's aged a single day. 

Yeah I can re-read Sandman time after time, also I hated Marc Hempel's pencils when I was younger when he was doing the Kindly Ones, but now I love it. Not that what I typed matters, but yes Sandman is a must read regardless.

2 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Hypolyta 

John Constantine

Cain 

Abel 

Matthew the raven 

Dr Destiny 

Phantom Stranger 

That's off the top of my head so I've probably missed some, but you really don't need to know anything about the DC universe to watch sandman. 

And then you can buy all the absolute editions and read it all, then read Overture which forces you to re-analyse what came before and start again. 

Yeah but I feel like in the Netflix series, you don't really need the other characters except for Mathew the Raven but he appears in the 2nd book. But damn it we need Mervyn!!

Just now, yakumo said:

Yeah but I feel like in the Netflix series, you don't really need the other characters except for Mathew the Raven but he appears in the 2nd book. But damn it we need Mervyn!!

Oh god I love Mervyn. And Goldy.  I love Matthew though. And Cain and Abel. 

Actually I just love it all. 

5 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Hypolyta 

John Constantine

Cain 

Abel 

Matthew the raven 

Dr Destiny 

Phantom Stranger 

Also Phantom Stranger only appears in the Wake?. He didn't play much of a role in the series at all.

3 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Yeah I can re-read Sandman time after time, also I hated Marc Hempel's pencils when I was younger when he was doing the Kindly Ones, but now I love it. Not that what I typed matters, but yes Sandman is a must read regardless.

I fucking LOVED IT. And still do.

The fact that everything looks like stained glass is amazing, and it also works narratively as we're at a remove from Dream and his motivations during the book and likewise Lyta.

It's my favourite drawing in all of comics.

Just now, KartoffelKopf said:

:lol:

I was deep in to The Cure, Cocteaus, Sisters, Depeche etc in the 80s so that may account for my love of the stories.

Always a shock to find out Dream is based on...

Spoiler

Fucking Bono in New Year's Day

1 minute ago, Festoon said:

I fucking LOVED IT. And still do.

The fact that everything looks like stained glass is amazing, and it also works narratively as we're at a remove from Dream and his motivations during the book and likewise Lyta.

It's my favourite drawing in all of comics.

When I was younger I was more in love with the realistic artists who worked on the title, Zulli for example still blows me away with what he produced for the Wake. But older me now wish we saw more of Hempel's work, who made Dream look ultra stylish too.

3 minutes ago, yakumo said:

When I was younger I was more in love with the realistic artists who worked on the title, Zulli for example still blows me away with what he produced for the Wake. But older me now wish we saw more of Hempel's work, who made Dream look ultra stylish too.

Me too. I liked a lot of the artists though, except whoever it was that drew Facades which was fucking awful. Like the work experience had gotten a go.

I've always preferred more graphic work so Hempel suits me good.

5 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Oh and anyone who hasn't watched Doom Patrol. Leave this thread and just get it watched.  It's just amazing TV. 

I may be biased as Danny is in my top 5 DC characters. 

Its really good but I want S3 asap, I know because of Covid things got messed up. But I need resolution!.

6 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Me too. I liked a lot of the artists though, except whoever it was that drew Facades which was fucking awful. Like the work experience had gotten a go.

I've always preferred more graphic work so Hempel suits me good.

Think it was  Colleen Doran, but yeah you were ahead of the curve on Hempel:)