TehStu

No Man's Sky

I though ms and sony were pretty much throwing free next-gen devkits at small studios..

Given the interest in No Man's Sky... hopefully both would replace those they had.. if not more..

I'm pretty sure people would Kickstarter them some replacement kit too if they did one..

Holy fuck.

If nothing else, I just love the use of colour, and the style in general in fact. It's like stepping into one of those old Chris Foss pictures or something.

I know it's easy to be cynical about the games business with some of the shit that has been pulled over the last couple of years, but then you see stuff like this and it reminds me of that same excitement I'd have as a kid. Man, to be a kid stepping into gaming for the first time right now. :blush:

• Upvote 2

Remember this is from a team consisting of 4 people.

I just can't get my head around this. It's incredible.

They've made my dream game from the look of it, the one I've wanted since I was a kid. I don't think I've gasped in sheer awe at a trailer in about fifteen years. It's really nice to have that feeling about games again.

• Upvote 1

I just can't get my head around this. It's incredible.

They've made my dream game from the look of it, the one I've wanted since I was a kid. I don't think I've gasped in sheer awe at a trailer in about fifteen years. It's really nice to have that feeling about games again.

I get where you're coming from but....steady, man. Steady. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Hype's a killer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Man looks lovely. I have no idea what you actually do yet, though. My only complaint (and it's a silly silly thing) is how quickly you go from atmosphere > space, and how when the player flew back from space onto the other planet you couldn't see the clouds / etc from space. The 'height' of the atmosphere while on the planet looked a lot higher than it actually was. Weird.

But those dinosaurs! Looks like the perfect chill out game :wub: hoping it has rift support, did I read that somewhere already?

• Upvote 5

Remember this is from a team consisting of 4 people.

4 people who are obviously VERY good at hiring out an animation studio like http://www.axisanimation.com to create a pre-rendered "Target Render" for a video game trade show to create hype and maybe even more financial backing for a game that probably doesn't even exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 people who are obviously VERY good at hiring out an animation studio like http://www.axisanimation.com to create a pre-rendered "Target Render" for a video game trade show to create hype and maybe even more financial backing for a game that probably doesn't even exist.

Got any reference for that?

[i'm unsure why they'd bother - they're not looking for investment, surely don't have huge amounts of money for doing that kind of thing, and some of the transitions would be done more... carefully by an animation studio]

Don't see why it shouldn't be anything other than a true representation of the game - it obviously looks lovely, but I suspect that's the style and colour involved rather than it taxing the machine unduly.

It certainly looks bloody awesome to me!

So Sean Murray is straight up lying in his PS blog piece about using the game to create the E3 footage?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/10/mans-sky-coming-ps4/

Edit: They must be especially cunning to have the animation studio add glitches like the shadows on the trees drawing in late and so on.

Man looks lovely. I have no idea what you actually do yet, though. My only complaint (and it's a silly silly thing) is how quickly you go from atmosphere > space, and how when the player flew back from space onto the other planet you couldn't see the clouds / etc from space. The 'height' of the atmosphere while on the planet looked a lot higher than it actually was. Weird.

But those dinosaurs! Looks like the perfect chill out game :wub: hoping it has rift support, did I read that somewhere already?

I thought the exact same thing - it didn't really put across the scale of a planet, seeing different layers of clouds, seeing continents resolve into tangible landscapes, etc, although that may be a fairly unreasonable request. The transitions from space to surface reminded me of Starglider 2, weirdly.

They look like different games aiming at different things, but Elite: Dangerous has really raised the bar for space exploration. It'll be interesting to see how the planetary landings from E:D compare to No Man's Sky, assuming they ever get released.