TehStu

No Man's Sky

Can you move stuff around now then or do you have to delete everything and then rebuild it in a stackable order? Always felt this element of the game was pretty lame so hope they’ve improved it?

2 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Can you move stuff around now then or do you have to delete everything and then rebuild it in a stackable order? Always felt this element of the game was pretty lame so hope they’ve improved it?

You can’t move the upgrades about. You just don’t get an additional bonus if they’re not installed next to each other.

a 24 slot multi-tool was my first major purchase.

Traded my starship for another. The older ship still sat parked at the dock once the trade had been completed, so I went over to see if the trade had indeed taken place, only for it to be referred to as an abandoned ship.

While I expect this may be a bug, I like to think the Vy'keen warrior who accepted the trade took a second glance at the run-down heap of junk with several cargo slots in need of repairs and thought better of the whole affair.

So I was pottering about on the space station, and came across an enthusiastic little gek who said he could be my overseer/foreman, I said ‘sure!’ and accepted his offer. I was then informed that he’d gone to man the construction terminal at my base. A sense of guilt overwhelmed me as that ‘base’ was a few systems back and consisted of a single room, empty apart from a construction terminal. 

I can see him there now, alone in a featureless hub on a loathesome toxic planet, enthusiasm slowly ebbing as he marks time by the endless clatter of acid rain on the roof. Not even a window to look out of in anticipation of my ship landing nearby, a ship that will never arrive. :(

• Upvote 9
  • Empathy 1

Finally got this and am loving it. Can't help feeling that if someone made a game that was half way between this and Elite it would be my perfect game.

Anyway, question: The base computer quests, can I delete the original base computer , will the quests transfer to my new base computer? I dont really want to have to jump back to my home system to do this.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the base computer missions... it says my base is in another system, or that I should build another base computer to access the archives. So I've set up another base, but it's still saying I have to go back to the other system. I can't access the archives on my new base computer. What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug?

Edit: @Strategos, seems we have a similar question posted at exactly the same time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Regarding the base computer missions... it says my base is in another system, or that I should build another base computer to access the archives. So I've set up another base, but it's still saying I have to go back to the other system. I can't access the archives on my new base computer. What am I doing wrong? Or is it a bug?

Edit: @Strategos, seems we have a similar question posted at exactly the same time.

Ok that was weird! 

I have that mission message, and I have both a new base post-patch as well as my restored base from before. Maybe it'll go away as I progress with the missions 

Not sure but I think my Artemis quest line is borked - I'm supposed to craft something that requires Living Glass but don't have the recipe for it, and you can't buy it anywhere AFAIK.

Probably not that much of a surprise since I started the quest before the big patch so stuff is bound to be broken.

4 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Not sure but I think my Artemis quest line is borked - I'm supposed to craft something that requires Living Glass but don't have the recipe for it, and you can't buy it anywhere AFAIK.

Probably not that much of a surprise since I started the quest before the big patch so stuff is bound to be broken.

Living glass might get chucked out of one of the scientist quests 

So I re-do loaded this for the second time this afternoon. I was one of those people that bought on release after the ridiculous hype train and was obviously sorely disappointed, and then got stung again a few months later when I heard the kinks have been ironed out. 

Well, colour me surprised this time. 

They've managed to make it even worse. 

I'm sure once you get into the groove it's very fulfilling (or not, I'm beyond caring). But it seems like the devs have sat down and had a meeting whereupon they've decided that all the crappy aspects I hated the first two times round - endless farming from the get go, wrestling with inventory space every five minutes, complete lack of direction - were the parts that really needed focusing in on. Honest to God I want to love this game, I really do. It looks fantastic. The concept is phenomenal. But somehow they've managed to make that so user-unfriendly that the end result is like listening to someone else ramble on about the dream they had last night; simultaneously supremely confusing and utterly, utterly dull. It's like trying to organise a massive spreadsheet whilst drunk and has slipped from "Huge disappointment" to "genuinely hated" on my list after an utterly horrid three or so hours. There goes my relaxing Sunday, I'm off to play Doom. Never again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure what about the launch hype drew you in, but what mechanics were you expecting? You can entirely avoid the grind in a creative mode game, for example.

30 minutes ago, TehStu said:

That rung a bell, so I checked:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Scientist

It's quest 9 with the scientist. 

Unless you did quest 9 pre-patch. Now you don't have it. Despite them claiming to have patched it back in.

*edit* Also that page hasn't been updated since Next launched. It's out of date.

51 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm not sure what about the launch hype drew you in, but what mechanics were you expecting? You can entirely avoid the grind in a creative mode game, for example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was marketed as "go and freely explore the galaxy, with a series of endless worlds and possibilities". You know, the shit that everyone wants as a gamer. 

But my options are either a) Minecraft with safety wheels or b) endlessly having to farm things to create things to pair with other things I've just farmed to make something that I'll need to pick up and put down and put fuel in then collect things from then pick up then put down again and then repeat? 

That doesn't make good game design. Making something endlessly fiddly does not equal difficulty. If I wanted something tough but fair, I'd play Bloodborne. If I wanted to endlessly manage inventory whilst exploring a huge pretty open world, I'd play Skyrim. If I wanted to be told That Item Can't Be Placed There whilst shooting trees for half an hour, I'd play No Man's Sky. But I don't because it's a pointless chore, so I won't. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

"go and freely explore the galaxy, with a series of endless worlds and possibilities"

Sounds like creative mode to me.

9 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

Do I really need to add the rider "...with a modicum of challenge"?  I thought that was pretty self evident. Stop being facetious. 

No need to be so grumpy. Just sounds like the game isn't for you, much like Dark Souls isn't for me despite everyone on here going on about how amazing it is. :eyebrows:

There’s an awful lot to like about the update for sure, but I do think the user interface is still fucking awful. Almost everything about it is unintuitive in the extreme, and it’s effectively put the brakes on me playing the game anymore. 

• Empathy 2

The amount of resource management decreases the further you get into the game also. You end up with more options than standing shooting rocks and trees for hours.

I'm always pressing up on the d-pad to recharge, because it feels like I should be pressing up on the d-pad to recharge, and not pressing down. Because when you press down, you then have to press up to recharge. It feels wrong.

1 hour ago, Starbreaker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was marketed as "go and freely explore the galaxy, with a series of endless worlds and possibilities". You know, the shit that everyone wants as a gamer. 

Yup, that's it and that's what it does (for me and others, at least).

Was just trying to help. I don't know what challenge the game could present without the resource management. What did you have in mind? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, footle said:

Living glass might get chucked out of one of the scientist quests 

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

That rung a bell, so I checked:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Scientist

It's quest 9 with the scientist. 

2 hours ago, Flub said:

Unless you did quest 9 pre-patch. Now you don't have it. Despite them claiming to have patched it back in.

*edit* Also that page hasn't been updated since Next launched. It's out of date.

I did quest 9 post-patch and didn't receive the blueprint, so God knows. Ah well, no biggie - I've just upgraded my warp drive to go over 800ly each jump, so I've decided to stock up on warp fuel and sprint to the centre of the galaxy instead.

I didn't realize the quests had changed again, maybe it's given at some other point in science now. It feels unlikely they'd introduce a total blocker, rather than providing some other means of obtaining it, but then there's a good likelihood it's also buggy. Hard to tell.

23 hours ago, tobert said:

Whispering eggs; everyone knows to build a small 4 wall pen around the egg? The horrors can't get in so you can harvest at your leisure

Nah. Stuff that. Place your signal booster in the middle of the nest and stand on it. You can farm the whole nest just by turning 360 and the monsters won't touch you. Easiest and cheapest way I have found.

I made 2.5 million in a couple of minutes.

• Upvote 2

I built a farm for money. Piddling stuff like eggs isn't worth getting out of bed for. I'm currently doing 8 million every 30 minutes if I want. All it involves is walking around my base picking stuff up and then some minor crafting :)

I have my eye on a S class freighter that comes in at about 188 million

15 minutes ago, Flub said:

I built a farm for money. Piddling stuff like eggs isn't worth getting out of bed for. I'm currently doing 8 million every 30 minutes if I want. All it involves is walking around my base picking stuff up and then some minor crafting :)

Do tell...

10 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Do tell...

It takes a little prep work but once you're up and running it handles itself.

It's all about crafting liquid explosives that sell for 1 million a pop.

Two ingredients are needed:

Acid

Unstable gel.

Acid needs

25 mordite

600 fungal growth

Unstable gel needs

200 cactus flesh

You start building those biodome things that let you grow crops without power *or* plant the stuff you need on specific planet biomes. Mordite needs to be done hydroponically though.

Originally I had my fungal growth and catcus flesh growing on individual planets but I relocated them to my main base

Mordite needs 25 mordite to create a node. This is quick. You can get it easily by just killing a load of things. This gets you started and you can further expand the mordite by just reinvesting your harvest until you have enough. A full room of modite gives me currently far more than I need. Grows in 60 minutes. I currently have 2 rooms

Fungal growth. This is a tricky one. You need 100 ammonia per plant and as far as I can tell large ammonia deposits aren't spawning. I ended up checking through my list of visited space stations and ended up with two that sold ammonia. This grows in 30 mins for 50 fungal growth a pop

Cactus flesh - Needs 100 pyrite to create a node. Easily bought on plenty of stations. takes two hours but generates 100 flesh per node.

You end up with far more unstable gel than you can use in one go. The bottleneck is the fungal growth. There's never enough of it :) At my current levels I can craft 8 liquid explosives per 30 minute fungal cycle. You just run around your base grabbing everything, then craft and sell.

• Upvote 1