TehStu

No Man's Sky

51 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

It's a known issue. 15 people isn't a tiny team size mind you.

I sorted it, went into the graphics options to tweak stuff - it crashed.

Of course if you say they only have a small team and now there's a lot of bugs - why wasn't this put out to a larger testing community?

It's pretty basic math. It almost seems like the hype/launch was to be kept quiet, rather than caring about delivering the overall quality.

It's a small dev team, as games go. They can only fix things they know about. This is my day job so I have some experience here.

Are the console bugs weird? Yeah, a closed beta of next might have been good. Maybe they had one? Are PC bugs weird? No. 

Report defects, with as much information as you can. What you were doing, your PC config, etc. How can they fix bugs, otherwise?

20 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

???? - strange response.

Regale me with your insight here, it seems I know nothing :lol:

it is MATHS not MATH

:quote:

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Clipper said:

it is MATHS not MATH

:quote:

Trying telling my 14 year old daughter that :omg:

37 minutes ago, TehStu said:

It's a small dev team, as games go. They can only fix things they know about. This is my day job so I have some experience here.

Are the console bugs weird? Yeah, a closed beta of next might have been good. Maybe they had one? Are PC bugs weird? No. 

Report defects, with as much information as you can. What you were doing, your PC config, etc. How can they fix bugs, otherwise?

The point is - there's a whole lot of issues and they've let it free without adequate testing. Largely because they are a small dev team. However from a company and structural standpoint, and considering how many installs and users they have, not putting this out to a larger public beta is a bit slip-shod.

So yeah, the fact that they are a small team means they need the help before they let it loose - the public would kind of pre-suppose it's somewhat solid, yet there's a lot of issues here. They should really be a lot better at mitigating that risk.

• Downvote 2

Yes, it needed a closed beta or similar testing. Maybe the whole death threat thing put them off having anything to do with players. I'm hoping, going forward, they'll be much more engaged and include things like public beta for smaller subsets of new features. They certainly seem to be wanting more interactivity with the community.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, wev said:

Trying telling my 14 year old daughter that :omg:

this is definitely creeping into kids vocabulary and it must be STOPPED

(my 7 yr old also blurts it out partially because he knows I will correct him)

37 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yes, it needed a closed beta or similar testing. Maybe the whole death threat thing put them off having anything to do with players. I'm hoping, going forward, they'll be much more engaged and include things like public beta for smaller subsets of new features. They certainly seem to be wanting more interactivity with the community.

The scope and idea of the game is great, and that they are passionate about it is brilliant. It seems sometimes they just lack a bit of longer term development experience or crowd facing nous?

I'm really looking forward to getting back into it on PS4, i hope I can tweak the PC version to be a little less laggy. It seems that it will just grind to a near halt for an unknown reason half the time.

• Downvote 2

I've installed my hyperdrive, and refined some materials to make antimatter, but I think I need an antimatter blueprint. Is that right? If so, where do I get one? I can't remember.

So the game automatically parks my ship at the back of any freighter. Trade ships block my path and when I try to leave I get stuck in the geometry of the freighter which causes a hard crash. Fucked it. 

Who designed all the different menu systems in this game, and which menu item shoots them into the core of the nearest star?

34 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've installed my hyperdrive, and refined some materials to make antimatter, but I think I need an antimatter blueprint. Is that right? If so, where do I get one? I can't remember.

I just reached the same point: already had a container found in a buried capsule and refined the materials it says you need, but it won't let me craft it.

I took my ship orbit and it received new co-ordinates and told me to scan to lock onto them, so I did that. It flashed up with that red and white icon you sometimes have to follow, which then promptly disappeared, so uh... :huh:

There’s a hell of a lot more depth/busywork compared to the last updates even to  just to get off the planet. Even the mrs commented on how much better and detailed it looked. Go Sean!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely loving it but I've paid £40 for the thing and it's hard crashed on me twice in a night. 

That's me off it 'til they've fixed it, which is a shame. 

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Did you buy that blueprint?

It's an upgrade. They don't need constructing but they only slot in a single device

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

No clue at the moment, but I'll give the 'summon ship' thing a whirl when I get a freighter. NPC outposts have similar, so I think that should work. As with yours though, mine's utterly knackered so I'm not in a rush.

Now searching for my lost ship lol

4 hours ago, Dinobot said:

I decided to buy this on the PC to have a quick go now/see if my laptop could run it.

Despite only just downloading on Steam and installing I'm stuck on "Loading Shaders".

Known issue - however a fresh install? This really needed more testing.

Mine would hard crash during loading shaders. Some investigation led me to increasing my virtual memory to > 16Gb and it loaded OK. Still took a while to load but fine after that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

The scope and idea of the game is great, and that they are passionate about it is brilliant. It seems sometimes they just lack a bit of longer term development experience or crowd facing nous?

Yes, they clearly don't have the experience of world leading developers like Bethesda, Ubisoft and BioWare, for example, which release much smaller games in much worse condition. 

What can you do? ;)

40 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Who designed all the different menu systems in this game, and which menu item shoots them into the core of the nearest star?

I just reached the same point: already had a container found in a buried capsule and refined the materials it says you need, but it won't let me craft it.

I took my ship orbit and it received new co-ordinates and told me to scan to lock onto them, so I did that. It flashed up with that red and white icon you sometimes have to follow, which then promptly disappeared, so uh... :huh:

I've just got the blueprint, basically by going to that signal that you mentioned. If it's disappeared, maybe press the left stick in to scan whilst in space and it might come back?

21 minutes ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

Really disappointed with the frame rate in this on PC. It’s all over the place. Mainly in the 30’s with random jumps into the 40’s. Very rarely gets into the 50’s. Not smooth to play at all.

Check the PC tech thread for the game. Maybe you can get some help. 

Enjoying this, tootling around in my starter system gathering, refining and creating new stuff.

Question on bases though for the veterans. I can see the benefit of having a nice base, I presume you can out all your gizmos there for easy access, but I'm crap at building that kind of things and will likely end up making a mess, and getting frustrated. Does a freighter do the same job as a base, or are they different things? Do I just need to suck it up and figure out how to build a decent base?

Mine have always been ultra functional - like a square room in the middle, branching off to circular rooms with bio domes on top. Just build what you like, however crap. As long as it does what you need it to :)

Practice in a creative game, if you're unsure how things link together. It's unlimited, like a creative Minecraft game.

See I hate Minecraft games and that kind of thing because I am crap at designing this stuff. I love the house building in Skyrim because it's so narrow and guided, no imagination required! I'm the person who loves Lego but needs a kit with instructions rather then be let loose with boxes of bricks.

I'll have a hunt round on the internet to see if there are some simple templates I can follow, I just want something functional so I can get on with exploring! 

• Upvote 1