TehStu

No Man's Sky

They are certainly capturing the visual stylings of the source material Sean Murray referenced. Shame nobody does classic Sci-Fi art anymore, or maybe they do, haven't browsed the book section in ages.

This looks like an incredible game, but what are the chances of it coming out and being anything like as good as it looks in terms of gameplay with four people working on it? Is that even possible?

They've already got the engine - all it needs to do now is be as engrossing an experience as the 1-man release Noctis and it'll be brilliant.

Admittedly, if that's all they live up to then people looking forward to all that other fun stuff they were describing will be disappointed, but I'll be happy, and that's all that really matters.

This does look amazing. I wonder how long it takes before you start seeing the events like that crashed ship more than once.. That's the thing that makes a randomly generated game's world good/interesting, the cunning hiding of its jigsaw pieces.. The sooner you notice them, the sooner the illusion breaks.

You would have to make your definitions of gameplay astonishingly loose to make Minecraft comparable with what's supposedly on display here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

More on procedural generation here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/interview-no-mans-sky-and-procedural-generation/

Interesting discussion with the artist and the coders, sounds like they're all quite aware of the problems that result from randomness with 0 thought or consideration put into it, so there's already a fair set of rules and guidelines behind the construction of each world. And yeah, they're also well aware of the dreaded Molyneux factor..!

And yeah, they're also well aware of the dreaded Molyneux factor..!

Well, they are based in Guildford - they've probably encountered it in person.

• Upvote 1

Spare a thought for Hello Games this christmas, as they hired office space in the flood plain of the river Wey and have lost everything in yesterday's floods: https://twitter.com/hellogames

Oh god. Water moves really quick. Hello Games has been totally flooded. Everything in the office has pretty much been lost :(

A lifesize cardboard cut out of Joe Danger went floating past face down. Poor Joe. He's taking this the worst.

Massive thanks to everyone who tried to help here today. We have learned that laptops float sometimes

Leaving now and letting firemen to help real people (all the houses around us with kids and xmas) - rather than us drowning to save a hdd :)

Ok so this is a weird Xmas day. Thank you to *everyone* for being lovely and thoughtful in this crappy time - now go enjoy your Christmas

We've lost most things - PCs, monitors, furniture, a door, a wall. You'd think the massive water cooled mega PC would be ok? It was not :(

Lots of personal stuff lost (my console collection! my super rare neo geo pocket!) - that line between home and office is a little blurry

We're taking stock today, but already I know we'll come back stronger :) - all we'll need is a place to work and a machine to work on :)

As far as I know no platforms for this has been announced. Hopefully this flood does not lead to platform exclusivity due to them needing financial assistance.