TehStu

No Man's Sky

The descriptions do help me narrow down which planets I visit now, which is a shame as I miss the dice roll gambling rush as you break through the atmosphere. It's still there to a degree, but now I know if I'm landing on a paradise planet or at least a lush planet rather than a toxic hellhole. I guess I could not click L3 to scan it...I'm incapable of not clicking L3 tho...

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Life-incompatible? Interesting.

That planet looks more alive than some of the of the abundant life planets I've seen. 

New experimental patch on Steam (which means it'll probably go live as 1.35 in 24-48 hours as usual)

Features/Changes

Spoiler
  • Introduced ship handling variances between types/classes. Each individual ship now has procedural handling and speed characteristics, based on their type and class
  • Handling is now displayed as a value on the ship statistics screen
  • It's now possible to craft multiples of the same product at once
  • Added the ability to craft more of the same product on top of an existing stack
  • Improved transferring items between inventories
  • Added a toggle to switch from buy to sell screen on the trading menu
  • Added variance in handling between ship types
  • Improved the appearance of popup menus
  • Improved speed and smoothness of user interface page transitions
  • Reduced the amount of resource required to repair tech in Survival mode
  • Improved visuals for editing terrain
  • Improved display of critical warning messages
  • Added message to notify the player if they select a portal glyph they have not yet learned
  • Added additional information to the quick menu when the player attempts to charge something with insufficient resources
  • The quick menu will now automatically close after selecting an option
  • Alien words which have been translated are now highlighted in interactions
  • Improved messaging when portal glyphs are rewarded
  • Improved user interface navigation using Q, E, W, S and A and D keys
  • Added ability for player to enable torch while in caves
  • Improved galactic map saturation, colours and effects
  • Added an option in the galactic map to toggle user waypoints

Bug Fixes

Spoiler
  • Fixed an issue preventing players with very long play times being able to save
  • Fixed an issue where black dots would occasionally appear while looking into the sun
  • Added audio when interacting with portals
  • Prevented hazard effects showing while teleporting or warping
  • Prevented mission log opening when you unpin recipes
  • Prevented players being able to scan creatures through the terrain
  • Fixed an issue causing extremely distant points of interest to show when scanning
  • Removed large white marker which would occasionally show up permanently over buildings
  • Fixed an issue where visited buildings would not correctly update their icon
  • Fixed an issue where visiting a building would not correctly mark nearby waypoints as visited
  • Fixed an issue where scanning buildings would not also scan nearby waypoints
  • It's no longer possible to lose the Atlas Path by using a black hole
  • Denying the Atlas Path will no longer show you the Atlas Path
  • Balanced the damage potential of the Scatter Blaster upgrade
  • Players will no longer be directed to the anomaly in systems where it can't spawn (e.g. when an Atlas Station is present)
  • Prevented portals from being incorrectly left enabled at times they shouldn't be
  • Removed grass from bases created prior to the Atlas Rises update
  • Completed freighter salvage missions will no longer be incorrectly re-added to the mission log
  • Fixed issue where your base teleporter can be duplicated and incorrectly labelled in teleporter location lists
  • Prevented incorrect distant paths being drawn in the galactic map
  • Fixed an issue where galactic map paths would draw incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue where players could manipulate mission boards to get multiple of the same mission type
  • Fixed an issue where system race was being displayed incorrectly when talking to mission NPCs
  • Fixed an issue that caused general ship handling to overly effect ship boost handling
  • Fixed some rare crashes

They finally fixed all of the waypoint/point of interest issues!

• Upvote 4

They're really taking a scattergun approach to things at the moment, but I do love that they are really bloody trying. The game is a bit broken at times since the 1.3 update-a-thon, but it's also much, much more engaging.

I returned to my starting system last night, and it's all different. Very different. My base is on a strange icy world, where it was a lush planet. The orientation of all the buildings is off, so now I have corridors that stop abruptly when they hit the outer wall of a structure. 

And all my planet names are missing, not that it matters particularly (only named about 4, then gave up on that notion!)

I'm loathe to start again, though I have no particularly good reason not to other than I like my current ship!

I think I'm going to pack up as many of my base resources into containers as I can and move. Found a new base on a hexagon planet that should make a cool spot for a new build. I put a beacon marker down so I can find it again, now all I need is a shed load of bulb marrow to make the cells to build the containers. Anybody know how many full containers survive the moving process?

47 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

If anyone has a copy they're willing to shift please let me know.

I was going to get on PSN, yet didn't get my PS4 until just after the price hike.

You can pick it up for £15 at Amazon or under a tenner on Ebay atm :)

HTH

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I think I'm going to pack up as many of my base resources into containers as I can and move. Found a new base on a hexagon planet that should make a cool spot for a new build. I put a beacon marker down so I can find it again, now all I need is a shed load of bulb marrow to make the cells to build the containers. Anybody know how many full containers survive the moving process?

Each numbered container will always kept its contents, whether you delete and move it manually or just move your base. However you may not not get all the resources back to build the containers if you move, so to be save you might want to delete them manually before moving. Otherwise you'll need to grab some more marrow bulbs after you move.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

You can pick it up for £15 at Amazon or under a tenner on Ebay atm :)

HTH

I'm gonna check that out, cause I really want the Steam version for multiplayer.. GOG lacks it entirely.  Sucks having to buy the same game twice.

Nope. Still rungs like a dog's dinner on my amd card. It's only a 290, but still manages to run Destiny 2 at 60fps on medium settings.

Worst £40 I ever spent.

33 minutes ago, Purin said:

Nope. Still rungs like a dog's dinner on my amd card. It's only a 290, but still manages to run Destiny 2 at 60fps on medium settings.

Worst £40 I ever spent.

You're not running in borderless windowed by any chance?  This killed the framerate for me; for some reason.  Yes I have a 1070; but I was getting 20-25fps in that mode, whereas I'm 60fps+ in full screen mode (and using RTSS to cap the framerate).  It's always been a pain to get this running smoothly for me, across a couple of GPUs I've had.

20 minutes ago, davejm said:

You're not running in borderless windowed by any chance?  This killed the framerate for me; for some reason.  Yes I have a 1070; but I was getting 20-25fps in that mode, whereas I'm 60fps+ in full screen mode (and using RTSS to cap the framerate).  It's always been a pain to get this running smoothly for me, across a couple of GPUs I've had.

No idea. I just run it from Steam.

The terrible screen-tearing is what makes it unplayable, even though v-sync is on.

Yeah, console packaging is bloody absurd, particularly if you're paying by the laser for bandwidth.

@SpagMasterSwift I can absolutely confirm that if you delete your containers from the old base, everything is in them when you rebuild them at the new one. I did this the other night, because my home planet was fubar post-1.3 patch. I took everything in my base apart, every building component etc. Only thing I couldn't break was the active vehicle. The only problem is that certain components don't give back mats - things like glass, voltaic cells, etc. But you can stack those in a container (10) or your ship (5).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Purin said:

No idea. I just run it from Steam.

The terrible screen-tearing is what makes it unplayable, even though v-sync is on.

That's the problem, you could be running at less than half the proper frame rate with screen tearing.  I was.  Once I fiddled and then changed to full screen, and capped framerate using an external tool the framerate was good and the tearing was gone.  Was a pain to figure it out though.

Question about this.

I'm kind of surprised about the meeting players thing.

From what I understand SM did say you could meet other players right up until launch. So it was supposedly possible?

With the latest patch you can now see "orbs" of other players - is been hailed as a step towards your coop/players in the same world.

So what's the low down? Surely they won't ever get this in if the tech was built without it from the start?

Is it even coming.

You lot build such lovely bases. 

I goofed last night. Something didn't quite go right, so I loaded again without realizing I've been teleporting instead of flying. No auto save point, and I've reloaded back to the beginning of the evening. Sad Panda.

I think I need to bust out a notepad, hard to keep track of all the stuff I need to build things.

On 8/31/2017 at 09:57, BruceBruce said:

Improved transferring items between inventories

I'm not really finding this. In order to move from the general exosuit slots to the one for resource, you still need to manually pick them up (with X), scroll over (the left/right d-pad doesn't work when moving stacks) and place them there. Also, new stuff you collect (e.g., nanites) don't subsequently stack, they appear in your general inventory. Bit annoying.

That said, I'm currently filling out my tech suit slots, as 1) they're so cheap but 2) I can move all the stamina and jetpack upgrades there to free up valuable general slots for resources.

Also, the name of my new home planet... I realized the kids called it Murasaki because at night the clouds are purple, and that's the Japanese word for purple. 21200642_10155683016094594_8797893801727799664_o.jpg

They're going to be so much cleverer than I am.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I'm not really finding this. In order to move from the general exosuit slots to the one for resource, you still need to manually pick them up (with X), scroll over (the left/right d-pad doesn't work when moving stacks) and place them there. Also, new stuff you collect (e.g., nanites) don't subsequently stack, they appear in your general inventory. Bit annoying  

I've noticed that - it must be a bug because there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use the d-pad to switch inventories when moving items. Hopefully they'll fix that in the next patch. There really should be a 'send to High Capcity inventory' as there is for 'send to ship'. 

• Upvote 1

Are the people who've built biodomes playing on normal difficulty? I've been trying to build one on survival and just collecting enough material to build 5 pieces of glass was hours of effort. Making lubricant is probably going to take me the whole weekend!

What gives?

I went back to normal, yeah. Haven't built one yet as I'm completely rebuilding my farming after moving base. Are you collecting this stuff by hand or doing it with a farmer in your home base? I could see making glass being a nightmare if you're off collecting this stuff from a planet's surface. Frostworst plants in a hydroponics bay churn out 50 frost crystals every 15 mins though, according to the wiki. I thought the game said more than that, but I may have misread it.

Experimental patch is out.

Spoiler

Tweaks & changes

Allowed economy Scanner to be used from the Quick Menu to locate an outpost
Improved prices trade outposts offer for trade goods
Added ability to hold backspace to delete text in text entry fields
Improved pagination of tech and product build windows
Improved pricing of freighters and freighter trade-in values
Added economy information to the galactic map for systems the player has already visited
Added a quick menu option to scan for outposts using an economy scanner
Increased tech fragment rewards for tech debris
Added a penalty to standing for killing civilian ships
Updated and improved terrain editing effects
Changed farmer missions to count plants grown anywhere towards requirements, including outside of player bases
Improved rewards given from factory and harvester buildings to avoid awarding known recipes
Improved fog and weather effects in low flight mode
Reduced FPS when the game is not in focus
Added categories to the item transfer window
Added a new send window to aid in transferring items
Improved planet temperature ranges
Improved storms on lush planets
Improved price comparison text on the ship purchase screen
Added "Upload All" button on the discovery page
Improved trade product pricing
Improved price modifiers for different economy types

Bug Fixes

Restored missing Atlas Seed blueprints to affected players
Fixed an issue that caused players to skip certain Atlas Stations
Reduced chance of multiple missions sending you to the same destination
Fixed landing of S-class ships
Fixed an issue in displaying temperature modifiers on hot planets
Fixed an issue with a particular Factory Raid mission which would prevent completion
Prevented failed timed missions remaining on the mission board indefinitely
Fixed issue where certain missions would incorrectly show markers in the galactic map
Fixed issue where planets on a player's freighter would break whenever the freighter was moved
Fixed an exploit with teleporting between systems to trade
Prevented gas harvesters being constructed on planets with no atmosphere to harvest
Fixed number visibility when moving inventory items
Fixed an issue where player could not build item stacks in creative mode
Fixed issue where the economy description on the galactic map had untranslated text
Fixed issue where units would function incorrectly for players with more than the maximum amount
Fixed issues where maintenance components would require different repairs after rebooting the game
Fixed an issue where delivery missions were occasionally failing to register as complete
Prevented bounty missions failing if you choose not to attempt them immediately
Prevented terrain editing effects showing while you are in your vehicle

At last - Upload all :)

• Upvote 2