No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now

TehStu

30 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I don't even understand it. The first time you're asked to warp, you'd expect a proper tutorial or something about how it works, but instead you're just asked to open it and then left to your own devices.

Even the controls don't make sense. You can't rotate, I think, the right stick is used to pick star systems on free mode but you never actually know what it's going to pick. When you have two people trying to warp to the same system it's even more cumbersome. You use the dpad also. The most shitty thing though is that after a while the controls fade out from the screen. :o

Just copy Elite's which works great and be done with it, ffs. 

Haven’t played this for ages, but decided to give it another go with all the updates. I’m quite impressed, as it’s far closer to the game we were promised at launch, and fair play to Hello Games for focusing on making amends with free content. 

Got my first Freighter last night and tbh I was expecting more options for customising it. Maybe I just haven’t unlocked them yet, but the only options seem to be to build more empty rooms and corridors. Well, apart from the Command Room which made me lol; was expecting an impressive and well appointed space, but it’s like a command console crammed into someone’s pokey spare bedroom. 

Galaxy Map - It's also dumb that you can't access it unless you're in space. Plus, I wanna be able to click on a system I've visited previously and be presented with info on the planets there.

But I don't have much issue with using it to navigate to where a mission wants me to go. Cycle to the mission with dpad, point right stick in the generated route's direction, hit warp. Done. One thing that makes the map better to use for random exploration though is to unlock it by pressing B on the Xbox pad (presumably the circle button on PS4). That way you can free roam about with the camera and set your own waypoint.

3 minutes ago, Sie said:

Galaxy Map - It's also dumb that you can't access it unless you're in space. Plus, I wanna be able to click on a system I've visited previously and be presented with info on the planets there.

Unless I'm mistaken I think I accessed the map from the planet surface two nights ago. I just had to be inside my ship.

I think I need to spend some time familiarising myself with the map again, it feels unintuitive but it's been a while since I did any warping. 

22 minutes ago, Lydso76 said:

Unless I'm mistaken I think I accessed the map from the planet surface two nights ago. I just had to be inside my ship.

You get a message saying you can't access the galaxy map due to 'Planetary Interference' if you do that.

The galaxy map is better than it used to be, but still not ideal.

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

You get a message saying you can't access the galaxy map due to 'Planetary Interference' if you do that.

Ah, maybe I got that message and zoomed off the surface.  This game frazzles by brain, half the time I don't know what I'm doing, sometimes I stand in game outside my base frozen by indecision on what to tackle next. I need to focus on the early missions or something.

4 hours ago, Danster said:

What do the options with the base mean? What's the Upload option? Wehn you say redeploy, what does that mean?

Not sure entirely as I've not tried it yet, but I think you can build a base computer (in the same way you build a save point or refinery) and it'll allow you to plonk down your old base from a pre-NEXT save.

7 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm stuck on a quest where I have to kill 8 sentinels for the Armourer.  Anyone got any advice, as I'm getting battered?

I thought I could just kill one or two, run away or teleport out, then come back and kill one or two more, until I reached the 8, but it keeps resetting the count, so I guess I'm supposed to kill 8 on one fight. There's just no way I can do this - I'm so shit at aiming in 3D I'm half dead by the time I've killed one.

Are there any tricks to this?

Dig a tunnel diagonally down, go into it, and then they come at you from one direction only.

Just checked the website. Blueprint scanner fix is in 1.52.1. Not the 1.52 we just got so we're looking at the next rollup patch for that.

Patch PS4 just got is

Bug fixes:

Fixed an issue that will restore more savegames for players who saved with partially repaired tech.

Fixed an issue where players who had partially repaired a piece of broken technology would have an incorrect item in the repair interaction

Fixed an issue where players in underwater bases played the wrong animations

Fixed an issue where freighters incorrectly reported they did not have enough fuel to warp

Fixed a crash in the base-building system

Improved garbage collection and reduced memory footprint of physics

Prevented occasional crash in animation

Reduce memory footprint of planetary textures from space

PS4 only: Resolved some stability issues seen in some specific timezones

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I have no idea how to reload by boltcaster.

I have the ammo, I press the reload button. It remains empty...

You have to have it out for firing and just tap reload, don't hold it. I had an issue with this as well, but thats how I got it to work. 

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Even the controls don't make sense. You can't rotate, I think, the right stick is used to pick star systems on free mode but you never actually know what it's going to pick. When you have two people trying to warp to the same system it's even more cumbersome. You use the dpad also. The most shitty thing though is that after a while the controls fade out from the screen. :o

Just copy Elite's which works great and be done with it, ffs. 

The thing with No Man's Sky is that it's more than the sum of it's stolen parts. Despite a lot of poor design, some early planning and development means it will never be quite what it could be.

Yet it's the best we've got now, and with how it looks - that's why it's taken hold.

5 hours ago, Sie said:

One thing that makes the map better to use for random exploration though is to unlock it by pressing B on the Xbox pad (presumably the circle button on PS4). That way you can free roam about with the camera and set your own waypoint.

Worth quoting in case anyone missed it.

I was going to make a similar post myself, as once I’d figured this out a couple of nights ago the map became far easier to use. When in free-roam mode like this (after pressing circle once) R2 & L2 moves you up & down, right stick is look around & left stick is move. Previously visited systems have a small ring around them. Makes it all perfectly manageable.

2 hours ago, Dinobot said:

The thing with No Man's Sky is that it's more than the sum of it's stolen parts. Despite a lot of poor design, some early planning and development means it will never be quite what it could be.

Yet it's the best we've got now, and with how it looks - that's why it's taken hold.

True, but Hello Games can also patch some corrections in, right? 

Another weird niggle I've got in my game.  I've got the blueprint scanner, and done a lot of the expanding base quests and computer archive / data quests,  but I don't have the ability to build the little ramp up to the door in the round base buildings.  It's not available to buy in the blueprint scanner list.

So I've got this quite large base with several rooms, terminals and hired staff, but I can barely get through the door as I have to do a little jetpack jump every time, and if the weather is bad then I get blown sideways and miss the door.

20 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

True, but Hello Games can also patch some corrections in, right? 

Yes, but underlying code would be near impossible to change. I.e. the creatures. They have no real dependencies or ground-up eco system. A creature will just appear somewhere, for some reason.

They have no habitats or homes. There was little thought to implementing them as part of the game world proper. I.e. where do they sleep? Where do they drink? Do the birds ever land? Why don't some creatures live in trees. If a creature is named as a burrowing creature, are they solitary or do they have a matriarchal or patriarchal system in place.

Nothing is connected in any intelligent way. It simply hasn't been considered, or if it has, it was discarded to get it working.

90% of the game is window dressing...

Two things on all that.

1) It's not a criticism as such, as noted Elite went for realism and it can be an absolute asshole.

2) That's also why they have focused mostly on the crafting and building system. It's a LOT easier to add, because the  base systems were already there. Changing how the rocket fuel works is relatively minor to going back and ripping up the world to actually give it more depth. 

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Waypoint | Switch version out now