rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - VR Mode Announced

I can't see how they can do this in PSVR without destroying the image quality and detail. The game tanks hard once you start throwing bases into the mix and VR needs a rock solid framerate.

• Upvote 2

When did you last play the game, deKay? 

Also, there's every chance they've managed to optimise the game even further. 

I gave up playing after the last impressive update when almost every single planet I visited had death rain every five minutes. And the planets still weren't different enough.

A posted up a few days ago about possibly jumping back into this again... think this has made the decision for me and (although I don't have a PSVR - yet - have been considering one since launch) I think I'm going to stick with PS4 rather than going over to Xbox like I planned. CEX trip later I think.

• Upvote 2

There's speculation on Reddit that you'll be able to use a HOTAS while in your spacecraft in VR. Imagine being able to switch between that and the Aim while on a planet's surface! (Seems like a dream, however, as currently the PS4 won't let you switch between control setups while playing a game). (And no Aim support confirmed, it's more likely to be Moves, unfortunately.)

I haven't played this since launch, did all the Atlas stuff, frolicking around upgrading my spaceships.

Very interested in this on PSVR too, I guess I might as well start from scratch to immerse myself in all the new stuff yeah?

2 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Are all the bugs now fixed? - I really love the atmosphere of this but some bugs and not knowing what the hell I was meant to be doing put me off when I fired it up again late last year.

There are some quirks, still. I do wonder if I sit there waiting for them to be fixed without anyone else having reported it. I know it doesn't inspire confidence in the product, but I think all devs could really benefit from a robust, well publicized feedback mechanism. For all I know, they haven't noticed that when you place a square room a specific height above the scenery (such that it floats and you can built stilts under them), placing NPC terminals in that building causes the NPCs to sit inside the floor.

I've also found that as they've padded out the story and quests, my launch day save has struggled to properly intersect with it. For instance, there's just no sigh of my free freighter. I've actually started again, twice - once in creative mode so my kids and I can fart about with silly bases (I built one atop a cliff that needed like 30 cylindrical buildings to make it down to the land below, with bloody ladders all the way down, that eventually kinda connects to an under water base immediately beside where it pops out) and then a normal mode so I can experience the story properly. 

Honestly, I'd be posting more about it in this thread, because I haven't stopped liking the game, I just haven't got the time  at the moment. I'm adamant that this game is absolutely already what they "promised", and everything since is just icing on the free cake. Seriously, I'd pay for expansions if they'd just take my bloody money. How do we get Sean on here?

• Upvote 2

I've been hesitant about restarting properly as the updates seem to mess everything up so I've been playing creative. I will stay a new game in VR though. Sounds amazing!

4 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

VR mode + £5 at Game = Looks like I’l be playing No Man’s Sky for the first time.

£12.99

[edit]

CEX is still a tenner, same price as yesterday

Edited by SeanR

16 minutes ago, SeanR said:

£12.99

[edit]

CEX is still a tenner, same price as yesterday

Sorry, it was £4.99 new at the time of posting. Whatever new means to Game. Preowned copies were still £12.99, of course.

I'm just doing the update as I don't think I have ever put this disc in my Pro. This useless and boring post allows me to subscribe to this thread, for when I finally start playing.

12 hours ago, Eighthours said:

There's speculation on Reddit that you'll be able to use a HOTAS while in your spacecraft in VR. Imagine being able to switch between that and the Aim while on a planet's surface! (Seems like a dream, however, as currently the PS4 won't let you switch between control setups while playing a game). (And no Aim support confirmed, it's more likely to be Moves, unfortunately.)

Move controllers were certainly able to be paired with a second controller in the past. The much missed navigation controller worked like that, and if you didn't have one you could also use a regular DS3. Actually, the fact that you can use two Moves simultaneously in some games also supports this idea.

The Hori flight stick from AC7 presents itself to the PS4 as a regular controller so I would say this is totally possible. However the thrustmaster HOTAS sticks are different and special, and that is more likely what they would be thinking about (as the AC sticks were rather expensive and also limited in supply)

edit - oh wait - you meant switching between foot controls and stick. I see now.

I'll be buying a PSVR for this. But I echo the sentiments upthread, the trailer looks like it's running better than the game does now on PS4Pro. NEXT was optimised a *lot* but surely there's a limit to how much juice they can squeeze out of what is inherently quite a janky engine, that has to sometimes deal with huge forests, complex bases, and herds of creatures and stuff.

There is surely no chance of this working on a vanilla PS4.

As marvellous a technical achievement I found this game to be, it really didn’t hold my attention when I started it with the NEXT expansion. When you have a planet the size of a planet to explore, what’s the point of exploring the rest of the universe, and vice versa - when you have the whole universe to explore, why would you spend more than absolutely necessary seeing a tiny part of each planet? I’m sure I’ll spend some time marvelling at it in VR all the same.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Thor said:

When did you last play the game, deKay? 

Also, there's every chance they've managed to optimise the game even further. 

October. https://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/2018/10/no-mans-sky-ps4-completed-2/

I was harsh on the framerate, but it doesn't need some bases to make it drop horribly. It was worse in October than it was in 2016, but maybe they've fixed it now.

Thanks, that was great. What an awesome bloke. Should make all the toxic manchildren who made life a misery for HG’s staff watch it.

• Upvote 6

51 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Thanks, that was great. What an awesome bloke. Should make all the toxic manchildren who made life a misery for HG’s staff watch it.

Yep and then make them play the game as it is now for 10 hours.

I really enjoyed NMS at launch. Actually, I played it before the launch day patch IIRC. It was a very lonely, eerie experience back then - certainly different to the way it is now in terms of feel. While it was unpolished and finickity and sometimes unfair, and the inventory management was horrible, I thought the atmosphere carried it through. I did become a bit frustrated with it after a few hours, but it was a pretty singular game at that point, and while I understood all the criticism, I thought it was primarily aimed at NMS because it wasn't the game people were expecting. Obviously it's a much better game now than it was at launch, but I do miss how I felt in that first few hours before they'd patched it loads. There was something amazing about how bleak its initial tone was. You really felt alone in a vast, unfriendly universe. Perhaps that was just down to my starting planet/system and others had different experiences to me, but I had an unforgettable first few hours with the game.

I'm massively looking forward to the VR update.

• Upvote 3

I know what you mean @Eighthours. My 30-40 hours with the game all came in the launch month so that is my experience of it so far. Vast. Lonely. Unknown.

I stopped playing due mainly to new games coming out and perhaps a little bit of feeling like a lack of direction for me to follow. I was fond of it though and have followed the news on the updates since then and have been regularly tempted back. I expect I'll find a very different game there when I do, hopefully I'll like it!

• Upvote 1

Sames. Think I put 20 hours or so into it at launch? It was incredible. I even made notes for every planet to remind me what I could mine from there if I returned:

Spoiler

DUNXIAOSHA

Oharashiloi

Floating islands, red trees

Very cold and lots of storms

Small EMERIL and CRYSONITE crystals

Uphesa Lipets

BIG deposits of EMERIL

OFBERUSTUNG-LAZIA

Kushiva Bungo

VORTEX CUBES

Some GOLD and COPPER

Small amounts of EMERIL in caves

Kuhashidakash

GOLD deposits

HEREDIUM deposits

GURIHAMAKIRI

Tajarkebys-Porkh Viga (100%)

Lots of COPPER

ALUMINIUM in caves

GRAVITINO BALLS in plants

Lots of big sentinels

Oraneiu Riple

Nothing of note!

Tiyski Linoich

Lots of trees and water

Small GOLD deposits

Small CRYSONITE crystals

Deadly wildlife

Isqueserques

Lots of SAC VENOM

COYANGUOLU

Hatteskerl-Dane Seppu

Lots of GOLD deposits

HEREDIUM deposits

No life

Toxic

Tamandow Iahooq

Some GOLD, small amounts of EMERIL

I lost interest when it felt there wasn’t much else left to see or do. This was before any of the expansions though, so I’m looking forward to picking it up again in VR.

85 all in from launch on Ps4. It needed a lot of work but it wasn't the fucking debacle the keyboard worrying fuckbakes made it out to be. But whatevs we're getting this shit in VR baby! I just have to split it over the Xbox and PS4 if the 'mmo' update ends up being decent.