No Man's Sky - Expedition update out (co-op missions with other players)

20 minutes ago, Clipper said:

... and even a tiny hint of Hunter in there (the old Amiga 3D classic).

Loved Hunter. I was too young to play it properly but I remember sinking hours and hours into that game wandering the island and failing at everything and still being hooked.

17 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

Not to get all "it was different when I was young" and that merlarky, but sometimes I do stand back from games like GTA and NMS and think "what would my 9 year old self have thought if I'd shown them this".. Considering that 9-year old used to play Elite on a spectrum after 40 minutes of loading from a tape.

So slightly odd design quirks aside, NMS is utterly staggering, and we're absolutely spoilt brats to say otherwise really. :) - We've just crossed that point where imagination has to fill in the gaps... and that's what people are struggling against.

I'll play it as modern me, but when my interest starts to wane (as it tends to easily these days) I'll channel the 15 year-old me who would be literally over the moon about how huge big it was. Generally it's a good idea to do that anyway, hinders the onset of cynicism.

18 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

Not to get all "it was different when I was young" and that merlarky, but sometimes I do stand back from games like GTA and NMS and think "what would my 9 year old self have thought if I'd shown them this".. Considering that 9-year old used to play Elite on a spectrum after 40 minutes of loading from a tape.

So slightly odd design quirks aside, NMS is utterly staggering, and we're absolutely spoilt brats to say otherwise really. :) - We've just crossed that point where imagination has to fill in the gaps... and that's what people are struggling against.

I literally could not agree more, to the point where I am having an existential crisis and wondering if you are in fact me.

My head would have exploded had I been shown this in my childhood. Now that's true of most modern games, but this in particular I think because it does have such a clear correlation with the games that most caught my imagination then.

Oh god, Starglider - yes. When I saw early NMS it kept reminding me of an early game (other than Elite of course) - I thought it was the old Star Wars arcade game because my brain is old and silly - when I looked it up it wasn't of course - it was Starglider. Amazing game.

Back in my day all this were fields son. Green fields and blue skies as far as the eye can see. None of yer crowded ecosystems. We got one building per sector and we thought we were lucky! You and yer' fancy texture mapping and shaders and stuff. Moaning about waiting a few hours for yer game to unlock? We used to wait that long every time we loaded it off our cassette tapes! Now get off me lawn, there's no Pokemon here young man! (shakes cane)

6 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Loving this.  Got my hyper-drive but need fuel before I can leave the system.   Still pottering about my first planet mind.  I've been to space stations and a moon.

How do I name stuff?

press options and it should bring up list of stuff you found use triangle to rename and upload.... squyare to upload only

16 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Loving this.  Got my hyper-drive but need fuel before I can leave the system.   Still pottering about my first planet mind.  I've been to space stations and a moon.

How do I name stuff?

Oh man. I wasn't going to say anything, but I was actually dreading you not liking this John.

Hand on heart I really look up to you thanks to the hours of joy you and Ste gave me with Zub, Feud, Amaurote...even Rasterscan, and I think I would have been slightly heartbroken if you'd hated this.

9 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

And that map doesn't even show the underground bases/tunnels, the secret installations beyound city limits or the Palyar  station floating at low orbit at around 5000 ft.

Or that the most accurate way to land your current craft (Cheese or gtfo) was to point the nose straight down and crash). I played the fuck out of those games. Easiest way to do the air combat was to fly backwards too :)

Damn, played it for about 6 hours straight and loving every minute. Some random pics of my travels...

Spoiler

13613246_10154260485497534_5478498834471

13975543_10154260485477534_3896341624343

13923707_10154260485277534_5296471667338

13958115_10154260485272534_4825255065404

13914157_10154260485067534_3787657168664

13988252_10154260485052534_1145613628189

13995469_10154260485047534_3044386153638

13962778_10154260484712534_8463886474966

13925984_10154260484717534_1978565228306

Loving the orange planet with snow. I didn't even know there were land based space ports in the game! Also, see how the colours change on Slunktiinaraali depending on the time of day. :D

41 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Pre-loading and stuff on PS4. So excited. Will it go live at midnight? And then I need to download the patch?

Really keen to have a little go late tonight, but not sure how these digital pre-orders work.

It should patch automatically once the game's installed (or at least, when you switch the machine on next). In fact, if you downloaded the game after the patch was released, it should have come down with it. Check the game's file size - if it's over 4 Gig the patch is already in (it's a shade under 3.7 Gig without it).

It'll be launchable at midnight on the dot.

28 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Oh man. I wasn't going to say anything, but I was actually dreading you not liking this John.

Hand on heart I really look up to you thanks to the hours of joy you and Ste gave me with Zub, Feud, Amaurote...even Rasterscan, and I think I would have been slightly heartbroken if you'd hated this.

It's great.  I still don't think the creatures do anything interesting.  Imagine if they were like Pikmin. 

40 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

And that map doesn't even show the underground bases/tunnels, the secret installations beyound city limits or the Palyar  station floating at low orbit at around 5000 ft.

Wasn't the cheese in a far-off lone hanger, where you just had to line yourself up and fly straight for a couple of minutes?

To this day I still make references to the essential 12939 supply, that was a real AHA moment in my computing youth.

8 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

Wasn't the cheese in a far-off lone hanger, where you just had to line yourself up and fly straight for a couple of minutes?

To this day I still make references to the essential 12939 supply, that was a real AHA moment in my computing youth.

I followed a breadcrumb trail of isolated strutures outside the city to find that hanger.

Essential.

m1d022.gif

(There was also a kitchen sink that if picked up would dramatically increase your inventory size.)

23 minutes ago, JPickford said:

It's great.  I still don't think the creatures do anything interesting.  Imagine if they were like Pikmin. 

Well that may well be true, although I'm not sure real-life creatures do anything interesting. To be honest I haven't seen any since I re-started! But I liked the ones I found before, just from a sheer weirdness/coolness perspective, and I proper shat myself when I saw that big shark-like thing.

My starting planet has gold everywhere - more than I could ever mine.  If you're ever passing Goonrock feel free to come and take as much as you want.

Is this something they do to give you a hand up or have I been lucky? I dunno if I ever want to leave now I've got enough to buy any passing ship.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Expedition update out (co-op missions with other players)