IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Sweet. I never finished the last expedition. Got killed trying to kill lots of sentinels, and then never found the time to go back. Will be all over this though. Love a space whale, and I'm intrigued by "Roguelike Mechanic".

Can someone help me.

I don't actually know what to do on this. I made it to my first space station and nicked a ship but it's fucked. Every part on it is critical and I don't even know where to start. It still flies but I have kk turbo fuel, no shields no idea where to go. 

Parts of a ship can be repaired. In the ship inventory click a part and you'll see the parts that are broken (technical terms, ignore that) and the parts you need to fix em (those are resources you can gather). At this early in the game everything can be found on planets, resources such as Carbon and Ferrite are every bloody where. Scan flora, destroy flora, obtain resources, repair broken ship parts.

edit: for your first time I'd say stick with the default ship and explore the planet and local space a wee bit. Learn the gameplay mechanics, what to gather, what mechanic requires what resource (your ship loves to burn through fuel), how to obtain currency, crafting etc. The tutorial is much, much better than it ever was. If you're confused, start over. There's no punishment to restarting.

Is you starting planet a radio active hellhole? Start over.

Aggressive sentinels all over the place? Start over.

Don't like purple grass? Start over.

46 minutes ago, df0 said:

So I am bit dat, where do I start an Expedition? I never did one before.

You start a completely new game from the main menu, and play it as a standalone thing. Any rewards you earn in it will be available in all of your other saved games later (go to the chap in the Nexus on the ground floor who deals with Quicksilver to redeem them).

My main tips for Expeditions so far (and I'm happy to be contradicted on this) is to check out the milestones beforehand so that if there's anything cumulative you can start chipping away at it right away, but get to the destinations provided for each leg, because generally the rest of the milestones can be done there (I saw it as the other way around at first - "do this stuff, then go there", whereas I think "go there, do this stuff", is probably better, basically. If you can do some of it along the way - cool, but you may well be making it harder for yourself, and you can always go back if not).

Thanks!

Tried Leviathan, came close to the end of this cycle, died. Yeah no, I am not going to do that again. The continuous barrage of "warning, health low" is not ticking the right boxes.

52 minutes ago, df0 said:

Thanks!

Tried Leviathan, came close to the end of this cycle, died. Yeah no, I am not going to do that again. The continuous barrage of "warning, health low" is not ticking the right boxes.

I've only tried the last three. Really enjoyed the first, mostly enjoyed the second but didn't finish, have barely dipped a toe into this one. I like the fact that it adds a new way to play each time, but will absolutely bail if it's not for me. The rewards can be nice (I got a very flash jetpack from the first), but absolutely unnecessary to enjoy the game. I'd definitely give the next one a go though - might be more up your street.

So I spoke to Paul Wolinki from 65daysofstatic about scoring No Man's Sky and much more;

Available on Spotify etc from tomorrow. 

40 minutes ago, noob said:

So I spoke to Paul Wolinki from 65daysofstatic about scoring No Man's Sky and much more;

Available on Spotify etc from tomorrow. 

Really enjoyed that, thanks. Don't often stick with podcasts because they absolutely require my full attention (can't put them on in the background, they just disappear if I'm doing something else), and I usually have something visual to be doing that steals my full attention, but you successfully prevented me from doing that, so I think you win (on this occassion).

Well, I completed my first Expedition. Not sure if Permadeath is the best introduction to this community event.

Overall, it was not too bad if you keep your ship's trusters at least 50% whenever you leave it so you can summon it, and you're careful with your shields. I barely upgraded my shields so during storms I hid underground. The most time-consuming task was finding contraband as I could not for the life of me locate an Outlaw system, so I ended up teleporting to a player base called NipNip, harvested said NipNip and sold it.

Towards the very end there's a mandatory freighter that can be challenging with base shields and HP. I took it slow, rested to allow all health related bars to fill before venturing forth. There's less than a handful of "hidden" sentries that pop up when you open a locked door, nasty surprise when low on shield/hp.

Most annoying part is the locating of the echos. The planets they are on are very fond of peaks and valleys, large flora, storms that reduce visibility by a lot and unreliable markers. I swear one marker was seemingly underground and when I found the echo by accident it was nowhere near the marker.

I died once early on (like 1 hour into the first loop), I know for certain if I had died again in loop 2 or beyond I'd given up.

Question, for many weeks now I get no closer to the centre of the universe in any meaningful way. The reliable method of warp fuel and take minuscule steps takes proverbially forever. Black Holes circle me around the centre, it's always 600.000 [measurement of distance] away. What's the trick here? I ran out of quests ages ago, so now I am just doing quests for factions, building bases etc. But I'd like to reach the centre just one to get it over with.

I remember seeing these big portals with marks on em and I think they teleported me, but I've no clue where they are or even how to locate one.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some crazy alchemists over at Hello Games! The Switch version looks great, and it's out on 07/10/22.

Sean Murray plays it here:

EDIT: There’s no multiplayer, only single player.

44 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

There are some crazy alchemists over at Hello Games! The Switch version looks great, and it's out on 07/10/22.

Sean Murray plays it here:

EDIT: There’s no multiplayer, only single player.

I don't have a Switch, but that looks super-impressive. Lack of multi-player is absolutely not an issue for me. I was actually worried the game had to be multiplayer when I first played it. I don't want any other bastard in my universe, thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...

Twitch drops as of tomorrow. Just find an eligible streamer and leave the window open until you have them all. Makes new Expeditions a bit easier having decent ships and multitools from the off.

Also the updates never cease to amaze me. I didn't think they could keep improving it like they do. They may not draw me back every time but the effort is to be applauded.

I've not played for a couple of weeks, but this all looks splendid. Probably explains my internet dropping out a couple of times earlier today as it auto-updated. Will definitely go back in shortly. Great stuff!

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

I've got so many games I want to dip back into but can't because I need to ration my monthly data. Fiber getting installed this weekend, can let all the consoles auto update for the first time in years. 

Perfect timing for (another!) NMS update.

3 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Remember to idle in someone's stream to get loots!

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/No Man's Sky/list

How does this work? I went to the site to link my Twitch and Xbox to Hello Games, and I'm watching someone. I don't really see any visual clue I'm earning, do I just eventually login to the game and get stuff?

edit - ah, I found the "drop" menu within Twitch and claimed some stuff. My streamer went offline until tomorrow though and  I guess I can't make any other progress because my NMS drop campaign is linked to that streamer. Oops.

15 minutes ago, TehStu said:

How does this work? I went to the site to link my Twitch and Xbox to Hello Games, and I'm watching someone. I don't really see any visual clue I'm earning, do I just eventually login to the game and get stuff?

edit - ah, I found the "drop" menu within Twitch and claimed some stuff. My streamer went offline until tomorrow though and  I guess I can't make any other progress because my NMS drop campaign is linked to that streamer. Oops.

No I think you can just find another streamer

Just now, moosegrinder said:

No I think you can just find another streamer

I tried that, it said my streaming progress for this campaign (or whatever the term is) is now linked to that other streamer. Unsure how to change, if that's even possible. No matter, I didn't even know this was a thing. Will try again for day 2.