IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

PC patchnotes

Beyond Patch 2.05

August 15, 2019.

Hello everyone,

Thank you again to everyone playing Beyond, especially those taking the time to report any issues they encounter via Zendesk or console crash reporting.

We are listening closely to your feedback, and have identified and resolved a number of stability issues. Fixes for these were released on Steam experimental last night, and this patch, 2.05, is now live on PC. We’ll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

Bug fixes

Fix for crashes occurring in the Space Anomaly.

Fixed a number of issues causing some players to experience low framerate after visiting the Space Anomaly.

Fixed a rendering related crash.

Fixed an out of memory crash.

Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when manipulating inventory in close proximity to a high number of players.

Fixed a crash affecting VR with supersampling enabled.

Fixed a situation where network connectivity issues could prevent players from speaking to NPCs aboard the Space Anomaly.

Fixed an issue where storage containers could not be accessed.

Fixed a crash affecting unsupported VR hardware.

We will continue to release patches as issues are identified and resolved. If you experience any issues, let us know by submitting a bug report.

Thank you,
Hello Games

Finally played this in anger last night on PSVR with Moves (I'd had a brief look back when I bought it, but decided to wait for this). Good grief! It's ace. There's an awful lot to learn, and starting on a hazardous planet doesn't make that easy, but there's so much good stuff. I've said it before elsewhere - I can live with low-res for the benefits that VR bring, and here is the perfect example. Just an amazing place to bimble about in in VR. And some of the interactions are so good - as others have said that simple cockpit exit one is a beauty. And the stuff when you're walking on the planet is almost all good, or great, or better. The one thing I'd like is to be able to slow the turn speed down, because by default you whip around silly fast for my taste (I've looked for an option, but couldn't find one). It's just a niggle though, I can cope.

The ship controls though are just all wrong. The throttle almost feels OK - just a bit flaky and unreliable. The joystick though is just made of stupid. To dive and climb I want to be pushing forward and back, but it wants me to be moving up and down. It's horrible, and it even transcends the "invert axis" problem. I've tried both ways around and they're almost as unusable as each other. Happily I guess I can switch to using the pad for flight, but if that isn't an option (as it sounds on PC) that's a major issue.

That said though - what a fantastic experience. Cannot wait to get back in there later for another long old play.

16 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Anyone got any insight as to why the scanner doesn’t work? I’m on PS4 so it was left trigger. Just makes a weird rubber balloon noise though. 

It might be different on the PS4, but on the PC version it's hold left trigger to go in to scanner mode, then hold right trigger to actually scan what's highlighted.

I found the best way to control the ship in VR was just to tilt my wrist, rather than push and pull like I was holding a stick.

Also on foot the left controller know which way you are pointing it so if you are walking straight and move the controller to the right you will walk at an angle.

Just now, bolak said:

It might be different on the PS4, but on the PC version it's hold left trigger to go in to scanner mode, then hold right trigger to actually scan what's highlighted.

Thats not the scanner we are talking about, the one that pings for object is the scanner, you are talking about the visor scanner thing, can't remember what that is called.

8 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Thats not the scanner we are talking about, the one that pings for object is the scanner, you are talking about the visor scanner thing, can't remember what that is called.

Ah sorry!

Hello Games seem to use their own players as a kind of extended QA team. It seems a bit exploitative when put like that, especially given that they've got tens of millions of pounds in the bank, but nobody seems to particularly mind and they seem to patch up bugs extremely quickly - probably a sensible approach for a gently-paced, non-competitive game.

played this last night on my Rift CV1 - first the bad - last night it ran like a dog - bad stuttering  and performance (esp in flight when taking off etc...) - also when I went into the anomality instead of landing it flew me right into the back wall and then my ship just spun round and round in the hanger bay with me unable to land or leave. (one of the few times I have felt nauseous in vr)

Ok the good - this game looked stunning in VR- getting a real sense of size of the planets and there layouts was just amazing.  the scale is something you really don't appreciate in the normal 2d version. (first time I dived down into a huge under groung cave system in the sea on the planet I was on was just like wow)   I like the touch controls, flight took me a while to get used to - as mentioned above it more wrist control that flights stick control.

My first little survival shelter is built, next to a comms tower which looks nice, but overhead are the planets rings , every time I come out of my front door I look up and gawp at them. 

Still a little pukey, doing this in half an hour stints atm. Getting the hang of the flying , its all in the wrist!

55 minutes ago, K said:

Hello Games seem to use their own players as a kind of extended QA team. It seems a bit exploitative when put like that, especially given that they've got tens of millions of pounds in the bank, but nobody seems to particularly mind and they seem to patch up bugs extremely quickly - probably a sensible approach for a gently-paced, non-competitive game.

In completely biased, but it lets them keep a tight team without spinning up extra staff at big milestones, and subsequently binning them. Mercifully, the community is generally understanding these days. I don't mind this approach, as long as they have an easy method of reporting and responding to defects, which they seem to. 

There are probably other good examples, but I suspect gamers in general lack the patience for it. 

Had an hour on this earlier - base PS4, PSVR, moves. S'okay. Coming back to PSVR after the Quest is a bit deflating though.

PSVR version of Norman's is understandably ugly. Especially from the air, and from low orbit. But I can live with that.

The Moves though are utter shite for a motion-heavy game like this. The menu handling is lovely (it twitchy), of course, but I can't get the movement right at all.

On foot:

What is smooth turn? I have it enabled in the menu.

I hold the big button on the left Move and I walk forward (I can run with an additional button on the right Move). I rotate the left controller and I strafe left and right.

But how do I smooth turn? Is it still just the very digital O and X buttons on the right Move? No analogue turning equivalent? Why not make the left Move rotation do the Turn and not strafe?

In the air:

Unusable for me.

Firstly the in-game throttle and stick are nearly on the floor of my lounge. How the hell do I adjust that, apart from a beanbag maybe?

Secondly the right stick for flight is terribly twitchy, even at low response settings. It's also just feels a bit crap and unfriendly for any kind of finesse.

Gonna switch back to the DS4 for flight and maybe on foot as well.

The whole thing just makes me miss my Quest controllers - generations ahead technologically. Come on Sony Moves 2.0 please.

9 hours ago, Flub said:

I think three possible reasons.

1. In theory the idea sounds cool. In practice not so much.

2. Not all the VR controllers have sticks. I think the vive has touchpads. Not sure about the index.

3. Probably a lack of time.

I've emailed Hello Games with my feedback. Hopefully they'll make some changes.

Yes the index has sticks

The game was playable for me this evening, but only if I set SteamVR's custom resolution (Super sampling) to the default 100%. Anything higher and performance is badly affected no matter what detail settings I use in game. The title/loading screen is still a true horror show*, but when the game loads in, it's usually fine. Did a bit of flying, a bit of crafting ... it's all bit meh to me, all the crafting shenanigans are a ball-ache, and the fauna appear to be animated at a lower framerate than the game itself. It's also not as immersive as I'd hoped. The skies, no matter the setting, are really duff in VR, with stars looking like they're something from a C64 game, just white blobs. Water looks just as bad as it ever did, and pretty much everything looks too cartoony. The difference between this and Elite in VR is staggering. Running well on my PC this looks about as good visually as SkyrimVR on the PS4 Pro. It's clearly poorly optimised. 

I will say though, the ship cockpit is nice, and I actually found the flight controls to be not too bad. 

*Seriously, imagine really bad v-sync, but horizontal. It's atrocious, and it happens in-game as well if I up the super-sampling. Which is a shame, because super sampled it looks fucking lovely ... so long as you're standing still.

Got it to run no problem by not playing in VR. Finally got to see the Nexus and other people running about. Three ships got into the Nexus and got stuck in limbo between flying and landing. They could rotate but that was about it. I could use the jetpack to climb up onto them and watch them suffer from close up. 

This game will be pretty spectacular if they can get it all sorted out. VR's killer app? Might be.

Started a new PCVR game tonight. After getting my ship fully going I went hunting salvaged tech and sold them until I had enough to buy an 18 slot multitool that looks like a space assault rifle. Now I just need enough nanites to get some good quality scanner mods.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th