IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

It's normal, in that your starting planet is random - i.e. it's not a bug.

It's probably worth starting again (you'll see I did), because that randomness means that the initial difficulty spike is too high while you're trying to follow the tutorial.

I assume that the choice about which path to go down (Atlas, etc.) isn't in the same place anymore? It used to be given by the red ball-thing at the start, but it didn't say anything about it when I started a new save last night. I assume that's right, and the choice is further down the initial line of quests? 

31 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Or shoot the robot, they're not that strong.

They fucking are these days, the starting mining laser is piss weak. 

@catinthehat - make sure there are no sentinels nearby when mining - there's an icon on the lower right of the screen when one's nearby, I think.  And you get a hud / threayt indicator

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

It seems there's a lot of reports of stuttering and such on PS4. Any impressions on the Pro version or PC? Which one to go for? Or wait for a patch?

Fair bit of stuttering last night on the Pro especially when entering a planets atmosphere ( loading?).  Also after 3 hours play it sounded like my PS4 Pro was about to explode.

All these folk saying restart restart restart...Don't restart. Your game isn't bugged if it's a slightly difficult start, it's just a slightly difficult start! You'll have the stuff you need to take off in about ten minutes whatever happens.

Sorry if I'm a bit ratty here but just play the bleeding game and don't worry about 'optimising' your experience. The first hour means nothing, it's just setting the wheels in motion.

8 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Fair bit of stuttering last night on the Pro especially when entering a planets atmosphere ( loading?).  Also after 3 hours play it sounded like my PS4 Pro was about to explode.

Is that on the 4K mode? Is there a 1080p 60fps mode`? How is the pop ups compared to PC? General graphics? Whatever I have seen looks amazing on the Pro (it also has HDR compared to the PC version). But stuttering generally annoys the hell out of me, so I am not sure.

4 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Is that on the 4K mode? Is there a 1080p 60fps mode`? How is the pop ups compared to PC? General graphics? Whatever I have seen looks amazing on the Pro (it also has HDR compared to the PC version). But stuttering generally annoys the hell out of me, so I am not sure.

This game has always had and will always have a degree of stuttering and pop-in. 

10 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

All these folk saying restart restart restart...Don't restart. Your game isn't bugged if it's a slightly difficult start, it's just a slightly difficult start! You'll have the stuff you need to take off in about ten minutes whatever happens.

Sorry if I'm a bit ratty here but just play the bleeding game and don't worry about 'optimising' your experience. The first hour means nothing, it's just setting the wheels in motion.

Nah, I'm going to restart, thanks.  I'm only 5 minutes in, and it was a bit rubbish to get shot at every time I tried to do the very first quest.  I chose Normal difficulty for a reason.

The first hour means EVERYTHING to me.  If I don't enjoy the first hour of something, I usually trade it in the next day.

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Nah, I'm going to restart, thanks.  I'm only 5 minutes in, and it was a bit rubbish to get shot at every time I tried to do the very first quest.  I chose Normal difficulty for a reason.

The first hour means EVERYTHING to me.  If I don't enjoy the first hour of something, I usually trade it in the next day.

You get attacked when you mine stuff. That's part of the game. Good luck with the restart. 

8 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

This game has always had and will always have a degree of stuttering and pop-in. 

Well, yeah, that is why I am asking how much is there? PC tends to make these problems go away or minimizing them, so I am not sure which version to go for.

6 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

You get attacked when you mine stuff. That's part of the game. Good luck with the restart. 

To be fair, you don't on every planet, there's a scale for what you need to do for them to attack. There's no denying getting one of those as your starting planet is shite for a new player.

I started fresh in Normal mode and have been pretty impressed so far. Resource materials are totally different so there is a lot to get re-accustomed to. 

I like playing Survival mode pre-update but the one thing that bugged me was the constant ship refuelling, it made me refrain from exploring so much - having to use landing pads. I can't face that on top of everything else, so will probably stick with normal mode now. What difficulty are other people playing on?

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Only on planets with Hostile or Threatening Sentinels. Not if you're on a planet with friendly Sentinels.

Plus they have to actually see you mining (unless already hostile) right?

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Well, yeah, that is why I am asking how much is there? PC tends to make these problems go away or minimizing them, so I am not sure which version to go for.

The performance isn't great on my PC (i7 + 970 + 8GB RAM), I've opted to go for ultra settings with 30fps cap and motion blur to circumvent it. 

2 minutes ago, robdood said:

Plus they have to actually see you mining (unless already hostile) right?

I'm not sure, but that sounds right.

To be honest, if I ever want to explore a planet with arsehole Sentinels, I just kill all the waves and explore in peace. 

Not so easy at the start of the game, I realise. And of course they might have changed how the Sentinel's ramp up for all I know.

26 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I need to check - I think 4K with HDR but I am not sure where you change the options - will take a look tonight.

I found the game suffered really bad slowdown at 4k at times, And the variable framerate at 1080p was too variable for my liking. So I stuck at 1080p and locked at 30fps.  Nice and smooth for the most part of my PS4 Pro, but I have only played a little.

I couldn't see an option for "Performance" or "Resolution" modes in the menus, is there one? I had to force 1080p via the system menu - not ideal.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th