IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

12 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

You can buy a blueprint which changes the round starting base into a square one. Only notice that last night.

I bought a square one, but it doesn't give me the option to alter the round starting base.  Is it an entirely separate purchase to the square base?

7 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

I bought a square one, but it doesn't give me the option to alter the round starting base.  Is it an entirely separate purchase to the square base?

Ah, yes. It's just an alternative to the circular room rather than the starting base. My bad.

If you buy a ship when it's in your freighter you keep it and your previous ship.

9 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

Also, you can get more than one ship? What?  Do I need a freighter first or something because so far it essentially forces me to trade in my ship for another.

Yeah, once you own a freighter you can park 6 ships in the hangar - but you have to buy them from other pilots who land in that freighter I think, i.e it's only while inside the freighter that you get the option to add ships.

Loving your base Spag, excellent stuff.

Question: as someone who has started over about a dozen times and now has access to multiple "routes", what is the - pardon the term - best to take? At this very moment I am following Atlas, going from Atlas Station to Atlas Station, answering Polo and Nada I want to follow Atlas etc. I started doing Artemis but put that on hold.

Naturally I am not in a hurry. I explore like my name is Dora and have a great time doing so.

So I set up my home base early on, and the planet (or moon rather) I've settled on is actually a bit shit after spending some time exploring it. Is there any reason I shouldn't move my base somewhere else? Will I lose the materials I've used or need to redo the Scientist, Technician etc quest chains?

Have they spoiled gold farming in one of the updates? I was mining gold yesterday and sold about 3,000 units of it at the space station for just below the average price, but when I went to sell the other 3,000 in my ship the price had tanked to way below the average. It was like it was reacting to me flooding the market. Anyone else noticed this?

Of course if they have done this it will be a great way to make shitloads of money. Depress the market in one system, buy as much as you can then sell it in the next system. More investigation needed when I get home I think.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yeah, once you own a freighter you can park 6 ships in the hangar - but you have to buy them from other pilots who land in that freighter I think, i.e it's only while inside the freighter that you get the option to add ships.

That's kinda silly.  They should give us a "Purchase and Send to Freighter" option.

I finally found a 'flourishing' planet  that didn't sap my hazard protection on Survival mode and sure enough it was policed by hostile sentinels. There was also aggressive triceratops hooning about the place trying to barge into me as well. If you hope into your ship to escape sentinels they'll sit outside the canopy till the end of time. You eventually have to come out and face the music or take off to lose them. I made the mistake of taking off, shooting the sentinal walker from the air and then landing to do more exploring, but rinsing the launch thrusters in the process. I then had a stressfull five minutes running around the surface trying to break the Sentinels' line of sight and avoiding getting eaten while I scrabbled around for enough plutonium to get the hell out there.

I was getting a bit despondent about how unfriendly the galaxy was, but then just before I turned off I thought I'd check out an unpromising rocky planet. 20° daytime temperature! Normal sentinels! Gold deposits! Abundant flora and fauna! Three more planets in the skies above, one of which has two moons! Best of all I found a large settlement with a landing pad and a galactic trade terminal. I'm blatantly colonising this place. Just need to do an on-foot expedition to make sure there are no face-melting heat storms or facehuggers.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I was getting a bit despondent about how unfriendly the galaxy was, but then just before I turned off I thought I'd check out an unpromising rocky planet. 20° daytime temperature! Normal sentinels! Gold deposits! Abundant flora and fauna! Three more planets in the skies above, one of which has two moons! Best of all I found a large settlement with a landing pad and a galactic trade terminal. I'm blatantly colonising this place. Just need to do an on-foot expedition to make sure there are no face-melting heat storms or facehuggers.

Oh you git. I'll persevere one day, but I need to get my base in normal mode sorted first. Probably a less stressful way to get my head around all the other changes, too.

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

Oh you git. I'll persevere one day, but I need to get my base in normal mode sorted first. Probably a less stressful way to get my head around all the other changes, too.

I spent an hour or so exploring my new home last night. It drops to -55 at night but I can cope with that. I've scanned 5/6 fauna and nothing predatory. I've located a habitable base 20 mins walk from the port I landed at so I'm going to trek there next time I play (it's handy that you can just re-scan for bases until you find one close by). I'm hoping that the waypoint for the port doesn't disappear as it's got a pad and a trading terminal. Is there any clever way of mapping an area out or do I just have to roughly estimate the heading using the compass?

It's amazing how much the Survival mechanics combined with the new base building changes the feel of the game to wanting to find a new 'home' to act as a nexus for exploring. It adds a whole new level of permanence and engagement which I think is better than the original aim of simply planet hopping to some vague end goal.

Also, for such a big game it's awesome how your finds do actually feel more permanent than other open games. In GTA I always feel the stuff I'm seeing only exists as long as I'm looking at it. Turn away and it's gone forever. In NMS, my new-found base will always be there, and is there for anyone who wants to visit, and it even seems as though mined materials stay mined, somehow. New plutonium doesn't seem to re-grow in the same places, for instance.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th