IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

10 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Glass farming is going well, and I finally got my hands on the elusive Kovax Casing, found portal on my home planet!

Feel free to come on over anytime, I'll put the kettle on.

Hah that's weird.  I can't stop finding Korvax Casings.. I keep getting them from random crates.

Maybe it's to let your ship scale with your money. In days of yore, each ship you'd find had one extra slot, but lots of knackered equipment. I'd prefer random, even if it meant chipping away at repairs. I've actually done the same with my tool - very first one an NPC gave me was great, but it's busted. But I don't have any blueprints, so I guess it'll get repaired as needed.

Yeah the new ship slot system works really well. The first crashed ship I found had about 33 slots. Most were damaged of course of but it still had a fair few more available than my starter ship, so I took it. I've been gradually unlocking slots as I needed them ever since, and I now have about 23 available. I guess it also means there's still a point to buying a ship outright, as you'll get the whole thing in working condition with no damaged slots.

I was playing this for hours today, mainly working on base quests. I've just built and upgraded my first exocraft, and I have a mind arc ready to continue the main story. There always seems to be more to discover and do, which is such a contrast to the cycle of repetition the game became on release.

That's another feature that's been in the game for 8/9 months already - ultimately you don't save a lot of money by restoring a crashed ship's slots - it works out to cost roughly the same, so a crashed ship with high class rating and loads of slots will have very high costs per slot that gets fixed. A crappier ship will be much more economical to fix.

I really struggled with tonight's play. I thought rather than proceeding that that nice looking planet I mentioned, I'd hang around on a hot planet and mine some Emeril. That went well, but despite myself I got caught in the middle of nowhere sans plutonium. After some long expeditions using caves, I finally saved the 200 to take off.

When I got to that new system and headed to that lovely looking planet, I got intercepted again. I tried to barter for 16k but 3 came at me anyway. I jammed the throttle, boost, and L1 roll going and eventually outran them, which was nice. Get to the planet and it's literally the nicest I've ever seen. Heavy rain, which sounded so peaceful on the cockpit glass, but of course despite being a nice climate a 3 carat cold storm rolled in. So Space Inverness or something. And I'm just about to settle in for the long haul when I notice the bastard sentinels attacking on sight. Every few minutes, my shield couldn't keep up. 

I'm giving up on survival for now, I can cope with the lousy planets killing you more quickly, but I've been to a few systems and every planet within, and they all kill you within a couple of minutes outside. It's weird, without a massive grind for money to get stuff like zinc, that effectively kills exploration. So, knocking it on the head. 

I fire up my normal save, haven't touched it since early July. My base is on a planet called New Iowa, which is slightly chilly, hovering around freezing, but I've never had the hazard warning. Lovely blue grass, as you can see at the end of this video:

Except, I start in the station and it wants me to pick an overseer. Weird, new role? Can't remember. I teleport down to my base, as instructed, and look how screwed up it is:

Everything about it had changed. It's stupidly hot, the grass is gone, the planet name has changed (the menu tells me I'm on New Iowa, with nearly everything discovered, but if I scan something I'm clearly starting over as it says 1 of ...), and, even if that was tolerable, I'm under the bloody ground! Gutted, kids and I spent ages on that base. 

It's funny, I only started survival as not to break the base, but now I guess I'll have to. What are my options here, dismantle it all until only the original circular building left? Or if I find another planet, will it transfer all my crap over? Also worried now because others have mentioned issues with missions when moving bases, although I think I'd completed all the base missions.

Gah.

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm now upto the Artemis mission where I need to build a mind arc. I need a scientist, but I'm being given no direction how to find one. Any ideas? Maybe I need to expand my base or something.

If you follow the base building quests you'll be directed to build a science station and enlist a scientist.

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

If you follow the base building quests you'll be directed to build a science station and enlist a scientist.

Aha! Thanks, thought so. It's these areas where the game comes undone. Building your base is seen as separate to the Artemis quest. It shouldn't allow the Artemis quest to continue until you've at least done the basic base building. None of it is clear.

@TehStu I feel your base pain, when I moved I lost a lot of materials and it took a while to get my head around the new names and what the plants produce. Last night I was swimming in my local rivers hunting the material needed to build a landing pad and while the name of the material had changed it's still the same process as before. I'd like to think that I'm almost set now with my current base (aside from wanting a second landing pad and the message pod), but next update could throw all my hard work out the window again...plus there is the temptation to move to the habital base an hour down the road because it's near to my portal.

@BruceBruce You can buy a blueprint which changes the round starting base into a square one. Only notice that last night.

4 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Somebody tell me that you eventually get a multitool that makes mining iron a speedy process please!

It's a speedy process from the start. Fly into space, shoot a bunch of asteroids, profit. I only bother with it on planets if I'm short of a small amount for something.

That's lovely, not too dissimilar to mine except my ground was blue. Has anyone moved bases before? I've got a LOT of stuff in those outside giant containers, does everything come with when you switch base at a new planet or are you better off breaking things up beforehand, like when you find a new ship?

Any of you space combat vets got opinions on rockets vs the mining beam? In v1 the mining beam was actually really useful against enemy ships as it locked on and travelled faster but I'm worried it might've been nerfed. The starter ship on 1.3 has rockets, which I've not seen on any ship I've thought about buying. I've not got into a scrap yet so haven't tried them but I'm still reluctant to lose them in case they're really useful.

in fact, where do you get blueprints for basic kit? Everything being sold at space stations are upgrades. 

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th