IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Looks like the ARG is coming to a conclusion imminently: https://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Waking_Titan#Sixth_Sequence_-_Atlas

Meanwhile I've jumped back in. Still can't find any portals, but found a lush, (somewhat framerate-destroying) tropical world - seems to have maximum flora and fauna and some of the most complex terrain I've seen with handy volcanic extrusion 'motorways' for my buggy. Spent hours last night driving around and completing the last of the Vykeen dictionary (so I've completed them all except Atlas now). The system's space station trades NipNip buds, so tempting to move my base here and set up a farm.

DELRzPDXkAAEK4B.jpg orig.jpg

Picked up this again after a year off . Everything is so improved now from looks , UI and general play. The planet im on has no wildlife at all. Just started a base just where do you get the gear so my engineer can make a land buggy?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mysterious-no-mans-sky-website-goes-live-as-part-o/1100-6451908/

If you haven't been tuned into No Man's Sky news lately, there's an alternate-reality game going on right now that seems to be leading to a new update in August. It's been going for a few weeks now, but today a new, interesting phase began. A mysterious website went live that allows you to type in commands, and it gives glimpses of some of No Man's Sky's lore.

If you go to the Waking Titan site, you'll be greeted with a command line. From here, you can play around with different commands and see what comes up. Typing in "Whatis Atlas," for instance, brings up a short poem about the game's shadowy Atlas organization. You can also type in "ship" to see a painting of a spacecraft that has appeared elsewhere in the ARG.

Things get really interesting if you type "List Commands." This'll show you a short selection of different commands and files that exist; you can enter "Start Atlas.init" and "Start CSD.init," for instance, and see that the website is waiting for some sort of input before progressing. "Citizen science protocols loaded ready for live test input seed to continue," it reads.

If you're interested in reading more about the ARG and the efforts to solve it, check out the No Man's Sky subreddit thread on it here. There's no word yet on what the August update might include; developer Hello Games has been tight-lipped about the game since its previous update in March. The Waking Titan website actually is a bit self-referential: if you type "Hello Games," you'll get "Process Hibernating" in return.

Hey guys, I bought this yesterday because I reckoned it would be absolutely up my street.

Is it just me, or is the beginning just absolutely bloody awful? Are there any non-toxic, non-freezing worlds in this fucking galaxy?

I started on Permadeath, so I won't complain about dying repeatedly - but I was kinda expecting the start to not be a complete bastard, and incredibly long-winded to boot. Trek for fucking ages in toxic rain that means you have to take shelter/use very rare recharges repeatedly to pick up some Heridium; then trek for fucking ages to get back to your spaceship; then fuck around trying to get more plutonium to actually be able to take off.

Managing to do all that took me about three hours and six deaths. Then I took off, flew into space, and got immediately killed by space pirates. Not best pleased by this! Once I've reduced my annoyance levels I might try again on Survival.

8 minutes ago, K said:

Playing this for the first time on permadeath mode is a bad idea. It's a real challenge for experts, I don't think it's really how the game is intended to be played. 

Yeah, I'll change to Survival - I thought Permadeath might add a bit of meaning to my actions, but the difficulty level is a bit high!

What K said. Also, billions of planets. Sounds like you got a bad draw :)

And yes, there are non-toxic and non-freezing planets. Gorgeous colourful planes with hills overflowing with blue grass await you. It can be a very pretty game.

You likely won't see lush planets until you have warp drive upgrades. That said, you should happen across tolerable planets. My base is on one with highs of -20, which isn't too bad. Nice long blue grass, though.

At least six bad draws! FIrst two were toxic, next three were freezing, final one was toxic but I managed to at least escape that one... briefly.

Starting on a world where the atmosphere doesn't hate you would make a lot of difference. Maybe it was something to do with Permadeath, providing some challenge.

Yeah they sent an email with more codes to solve earlier today and when the picture was revealed on a Waking Titan website (where you enter the solved codes) it mentioned 4.15pm at a certain place.  Folks went there and someone involved with the ARG lead them to the escape room they are currently trying to do.

Team A tried and failed and Team B is currently trying to solve it.  The guy with the most viewers who is currently streaming is also very annoying.

I started again on Normal.

My ship is at my starting position, rather than ten minutes walk away; the air isn't trying to kill me; I get twice as many resources, the scanner recharges more often, and I don't have to run in screaming terror from any aggressive animal.

Also it's beautiful.

All is forgiven and I'll read difficulty descriptions in future.

Can you still play it in the mode as shipped, I.e. Plentiful lush planets with not a care in the world?

i did a ton of hrs on this in its pre-survival/bases incarnation. I was waiting for the upgrades and it sounds like it is worth another bunch of hrs now it has bases and vehicles etc etc 

• 2 weeks later...

A new patch is being released this week, received this email late last night:

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

Hello Citizen Scientists,

It’s been a year since No Man’s Sky first released, and it’s been an exciting, intense and emotional year for us at Hello Games. We have been quiet, but we have been listening intently.

We've spent that year working hard on free updates for this game our team cares about so much.

Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Man’s Sky players. We're calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Man’s Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

What we do is much more important than what we say, but since launch we have sometimes focused too much on that.

We wanted to reach out and celebrate the devoted community that means so much to us. We launched Waking Titan to try to do that.

When we posted those cassettes we didn't know what to expect. In the last eight weeks a quarter of a million players from across the globe (174 countries, to be precise!) have come together - united by a shared love of mystery and science fiction - to form the Citizen Science Division. You’ve travelled great distances both real and virtual, undertaken complex tasks, and explored the depths of simulation theory. New friendships have been forged, and a tight-knit community has been created. Most importantly a cute hamster has a new home.

You've become part of the No Man's Sky origin story.

It's been an honour to watch, but this is just the beginning. Whether you’ve followed Waking Titan or not, we welcome anyone to sign up to the Citizen Science Division, and to join us on the official CSD forums.

Our journey continues.

Thank you for this year. We hope you enjoy what comes next.

Sean

9 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Doesn't sound too promising.   Portals and story stuff.  

Im really hoping it's going be more substantial than that, I've just kept updating the game till it's hopefully finished.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th