IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

I started again after buying after the new update. I am going through what I assume are tutorial missions and I am on one to craft anti-matter but I have ended up in space without a pulse drive and a fair distance away from anywhere. Is there anyplace easy to get iron in decent amounts? I am about 30 mins from either a planet or space station as it stands :lol:

Yup, just take off, fly towards a floating rock and, odds are, it's iron. Or perhaps thanium, but you'll need that too. I really need to sit in space and spend an hour or two building up a massive stockpile.

Confused by the galaxy map. It asks me to press right on the dpad to select the nearest system, but then I can't reach there or something, but then by changing it to 'free roam' with L1/R1 I managed to jump to another system. Not sure how I did that though as the game isn't really explaining anything to me. Any pointers? 

It's quite dreadful*. Unless you're following the atlas path (on of the L1/R1 options), I just tend to select the path to the center for finding new systems to explore. When I get a second ship and can dedicate one to having loads of mods (I need the cargo space, currently), I'll start venturing off that path to colored stuffs which need better warp drives.

*although I don't think it needs to account for revisiting a system, unlike Elite, given you're shepherded toward the center. That said, once you find a system that has loads of resources (assuming you're not going to build a base there), I'd teleport from the station to your base and use that as your to and fro.

Forgot to post this. By chance, we discovered that plants animate as they grow, so we stood there for ages waiting for them to fully bloom. The kids loved this little display:

edit - the big red one near the camera is the "poop plant".

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Confused by the galaxy map. It asks me to press right on the dpad to select the nearest system, but then I can't reach there or something, but then by changing it to 'free roam' with L1/R1 I managed to jump to another system. Not sure how I did that though as the game isn't really explaining anything to me. Any pointers? 

It's not right on the d-pad to select the nearest system. It's right on the d-pad to search for nearest discoveries, i.e. systems other players or you yourself have discovered. 

To travel to another system you use the sticks. You can either hold the stick to follow the line to the next system on the path to the Galactic centre, or you select free roam and select any one you like (limited by what hyperdrive you have installed).

Man, exocraft are way more fun since the latest patch. I found a tiny, mostly flat frozen moon last night and tried to drive all the way around it in the roamer. Fuel seems to last a bit longer (and there's a low petrol warning), it's a bit easier to get out of holes (although changing the FOV to 150 massively helps avoid obstacles anyway), and best of all you can now drive right through all but the biggest trees and rocks.

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do next - finding maximum size S-rank ships seems statistically unlikely, and planets that look nice *and* have reasonable local resources are quite rare too. I salvaged a second ship (a small, S-rank science vessel I think) which has a massive warp range perk so I might try souping that up.

('Ending' spoilers)

Spoiler

I hope more players get to Hilbert Dimension at some point, I've not found a single other player's discovery since I got here around Christmas.

Booted this up after a very long absence, realised I never got out of the starting system. 

Erm... how do I make a Warp Cell/fuel for my Hyperdrive?

New updates look great! Does the PS4 vanilla support 4K and, if so, does it automatically switch itself on?

14 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Man, exocraft are way more fun since the latest patch. I found a tiny, mostly flat frozen moon last night and tried to drive all the way around it in the roamer.

Did you actually manage this?

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

If I remember right, if you follow the tutorial you'll come across them eventually. 

Yeah that's what I did. A bit confusing at first but once you go with the flow it falls into place. Not a game to rush with.

It's not the most intuitive game. Things like trying to talk to aliens and being told you have no room in your inventory, for example. I have to free up room to even talk? Or being vaguely told about selling nanite clusters for blueprints but then my friendship level is too low. And the interface for trading is just like a computer terminal as opposed to actual traders who you also meet. 

It really could do a better job of explaining how you actually interact with the game.

Is it normal to die quite often at first? I've been attacked and destroyed by hostile ships a few times now. I tried engaging in combat but it was three against one and I got wasted by them. Last time this happened I'd just flewn out of a freighter and was flying between a fleet of freighters when it said 'hostile scan' and they just came from nowhere.

I'm fairly awful at this. Am I doing something wrong?

On 15/03/2017 at 11:46, Pob said:

Did you actually manage this?

Hah, no. I got distracted by a crashed ship, and the roamer is incredibly slow anyway.

Found a nice alpine planet this evening and spent ages hurling the Nomad down the side of mountains.

One thing to be wary of is that unlike other buildable tech, Exocraft bays don't give you the resources back when you delete them. A minor hassle if you're fully kitted out, but I could see this being a major setback if you stumbled across it in Survival mode.

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

Is it normal to die quite often at first? I've been attacked and destroyed by hostile ships a few times now. I tried engaging in combat but it was three against one and I got wasted by them. Last time this happened I'd just flewn out of a freighter and was flying between a fleet of freighters when it said 'hostile scan' and they just came from nowhere.

Yes, in the early stages.

Upgrade your cannons asap is my advice but in the meantime make sure you have lots of iron on you for replienishing shields if you do get caught, and don't try and run. They don't come from nowhere, or rather the game always shows you where they will warp in from. As soon as you get "Hostile Scan Detected", stop dead. You will be able to see a pulsing circle in space showing you where the Hostile ships will warp in. Start firing as soon as they appear and you stand a decent chance. If you tap the fire button fast rather than hold it down your cannons shouldn't overheat. 

26 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. Can't wait until I can build a base and get those planetary vehicles.

Just wondering, is it possible to drop a waypoint on a planet in order to return back to that exact spot?

Yep, it's 'beacon' in the build menu (up on the dpad). You can set the colour of it too, which will set the colour of the HUD marker.

TBH you can run away from most dogfights if you're in a hurry/low on resources for shields.

Something else I found last night - I rescued a freighter in a battle, a 27-slotter, and was offered it at a trade-in price of 600,000(!!). (The full price was something like 45m.) So yeah, do shop around for freighters...

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th