IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

I had a couple of sessions on it and managed to get a good foothold on the survival. Reached my ship (which by way of a glitch was suspended about three metres in the air!). Zinc was the only thing holding me back from blasting off. Came across some in a wooded area and was on my way back to my ship, but was so weak from my adventures that one misguided jet pack boost landing killed me! My last save point is not too far but that was enough for one evening.

Yeah, I've died a few times to gravity until I got used to not relying on my jetpack.

After playing non-stop for the last couple of days however I finally got a Jetpack upgrade, and it's a great relief. Also got some decent Stamina enhancement modules.

I'm 25 systems in now, and you can still get into some really sticky situations. I had a right spot of bother on one planet because all my saves had me with one block of health and my ship miles away, on a hostile Sentinel planet with freezing storms and hardly any Plutonium. Took me hours to escape.

I've got a new policy now with High Security planets. Assuming I'm at full health (or near enough) when I land I will deliberately take my wanted level up to level 5, kill the Walker and all Sentinels, and then relax - they don't spawn any more after that, and so long as you don't re-load the game you'll be Sentinel free and able to explore.

I don't believe they do. The only way to attract Sentinel attention in space is to attack another ship, either in space, or near the surface. So if you shoot a ship just as it's leaving a Trading Post say, the Sentinel fighters will come for you when you leave the planet. But they won't if you've been at any wanted level at all while on foot.

I think I saw a video on this ages ago, but it's only in Survival mode that it's become worth doing.

I'm having a weird bug with this where the inventory screen won't close. Or rather it closes, but reopens again. This is on Steam. 

The only way I can seem to close it is if I open the steam overlay, come out of it and close, so I don't know if it's anything to do with that. It's really ruining my flow, because inventory management seems to be a big part of this game - something you're often in. Gah, can't find anything about it.

I'm not sure what's up, but the whole config seems buggy. I don't really get what's changed, I haven't played since before Christmas, so maybe an update broke things, I don't know. I think I might try and just manually configure the whole thing. It's frustrating, as NMS is the only game I've played to have full Steam controller support, and by that I mean you use the steam overlay to bind in game actions, it's actually really nice and it doesn't feel like you're just emulating other controllers. 

Except it's all gone screwy - if I open the recharge quick menu, or the building menu with the dpad, a whole bunch of weirdness happens, and escaping out led to some weird jetpack spamming issue. Then it was as if X was constantly on, because if I looked at the ship, I'd get in automatically.

I'm not sure what it is, and I've not seen anything else doing it. I had a quick go at Dirt Rally (as I was grumpy that my chill out gaming session just turned into troubleshooting) and that is working fine, but then again with that all I'm using is a few buttons, and it's just emulating a normal pad.

Had an interesting weekend playing this (couldn't be bothered getting out into the real world since it was consistently raining - although thankfully it wasn't toxic).

Anyway, just thought i'd share some observations. The most stressful part of my task was mining. Firstly I had a nightmare in that I mined two gold deposits almost entirely and then went to board my ship to head back to the trading post and my PS4 froze entirely and needed rebooting. Lost it all. Too greedy! Then, when I picked up my controller that I'd thrown in rage I reloaded and went back to another gold deposit. It was an ice planet. Nighttime temperature was -75, there was a storm so I'm digging into the gold deposit to get shelter. Might as well dig deeper whilst I'm here I think - no harm in that and I'm still not exposed. But like the dwarves under the mountain, I dug too deep. Thankfully, they haven't bothered coding a balrog (i'm not sure if that was a pre-release promise). Instead they just let you drop below the map into a void of nothingness, which is at the same time full of invisible sub-zero water. I tried to get back to the spot I'd dropped down from but it was waaaay too high above the invisible water I was in, so couldn't reach it by jetpacking. When i found an area where the 'surface' was low (i.e. a valley) i found I could get close to the surface and just about use my mining tool to zap stuff, so I figured I'd fine a mineral/mining cave deposit and mine my way back to dry land. But this freezing planet was massively hilly and I was running out of life support, oxygen (for which I was repeatedly hovering above water to refill) and and my hazard protection was taking a beating (and I couldn't get any minerals needed to refill that since you needed to 'grab' those rather than mine them). Finally, not being able to find a below ground mineral vein and running out of multi-tool parts that I could dismantle to use to recharge my life support kit, I found a really shallow spot below the surface, equipped some plasma grenades, punched myself a hole in the 'surface' after a couple of attempts and jetpacked my way through onto the 'surface'. Must've been under there for about 20 minutes, essentially going "shit, shit, shit"! :lol:

So, yeh, I basically glitched my way into a slightly different version of survival mode. Good times!

After that, i did some more careful mining and trading, got my multi-tool to 24 slots. Traded up ship a couple of times for ones with better slots (and that weren't pink, because i wanted some intergalactic streetcred) so that's at about 23 i think. Exosuit is at 31. Getting there.

Still a bit bamboozled by it all. So, some questions:

- Mining (gold, emeril mainly) got me from U2m to U3.5m, but all the ships i fancy are U5m+. Do i essentially just have to keep grinding it out? Does it get quicker/easier?

- I'm looking for a scientist in my home base - where'd I find one of those? Need a blueprint for a voltaic cell apparently. Every system I warp itno has armourers and more construction people, but the scientists must all be busy in labs or something because i can't find them...

- I warped into a system where some robot in an anomaly offered to put me back on the route to atlas or something, I said yes. It showed me where to go and i warped there. So far in that system i've found a lot of ruins but nothing else. Am i still on the path or am i doing it wrong?

- What's the deal with 'farming' pearls and stuff. Will that all become obvious in time if i just crack on?

Joined this late and struggling to find much info about the early/mid game bit. Most guides are for starters or experts. Feel a bit lost in the middle.

TL:DR - still enjoying it! :D

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

I've not had anything as glitchy as that happen, but at least you made the most of it!

You need to find a Korvax system to recruit a scientist.

Re. the Atlas stuff, the galactic map should now show you the path to a system with an Atlas Interface. You can't mistake them when you arrive at the system - it's a space station shaped like the NMS logo shape thingy.

Cheers @Davros sock drawer - will see if i can steal half an hour of TV screen time this evening to get to a Korvax system...Remember meeting scientists before but they're like buses. One never shows up when you need them.

I've been to a couple of Atlas stations. Grabbed the red balls and that's all good. Just wondered if I just keep an eye out for them and keep accumulating them or whether i need to do more? Also, do you have to keep them or can I sell them and free up the inventory slot?

Oh, right - nah, you'll find them as you go. Every so often you'll meet Nada and Pol and they'll lead you to the next Interface.

You need 10 Atlas Stones to complete the "quest", but the ending to it is so disappointing and minor that I shouldn't worry too much. I actually messed it up the first time (accidentally sold one I think), and googled what happens. It's not worth it. You can buy Atlas Stones if you're desperate, but they cost millions. So this time round I'm just selling them as I go.

Spoilers:

All you get for visiting all 10 Atlas Interfaces is a bit of text telling you that a new Star System has been created. You don't get to visit it, but the implication is that this is what generates the universe for new players. The narrative is seemingly just a meta-joke about the game, which is fine I guess.

The real point of the Atlas stuff (gameplay-wise at least) seems to be to encourage you to achieve the exploration milestones set by the game, as you can't complete the quest without doing so.

Based on that, I think I might sell them. Will try and hold out in case they take on more significance in the next update (assuming there is one, post-foundation) - but if they're worth a fair bit that'll help me progress quicker through the ship and suit evolution process, which is likely to keep me enjoying this for longer.

Ever found anything useful using a L2 or L3 Atlas Pass? Might make finding some operations centres my next personal task, since apparently that's where L2 and L3 blueprints are likely to be hiding. Just wondering if it's worth it though... god, really wish that this was on a handheld or something. It's perfect for idling away with whilst dual-screening. Being on the PS4 (for me), just makes it a little less accessible these days - don't want to monopolise screen time and my wife hasn't been complimentary about watching me play it ("what's the point?", "it doesn't even look good", "at least when you're shooting people [in an FPS] it's interesting to watch" :P)

Made quite a bit of progress in my last few sessions. I don't really farm for units, but I've got about 8m in the bank, which means I can afford around a 30 slot ship. I'm saving up though, and grabbing upgraded ships from crash sites if I see one I like the look of. Upgraded to 27 slots last night.

I've also got nearly all the base building blueprints I think - got the Landing Pad and Explosive Charge last night. The farmer still has stuff for me to do, but everyone else has said they have nothing more to give me.

Still eluding me - Atlas Passes 2 and 3, and Warp Drives Theta and Tau...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this today, after spending a couple of hours on it in November when I got my PS4, and then never going back to it.

I'm really enjoying myself, although I haven't left the second star system yet. Played for about four hours today, upgraded my suit inventory a fair bit and just found a new ship with one more inventory slot than my first one had.

But there's one stupid, irrelevant thing that's bugging me. The ships are too small. Your character lives in their ship, but (on the smaller ships, at least) there's no living space. I really wish there was a small cabin with a bunk and a table or something that you could go into. I know it wouldn't make the game any better in an objective way, but for me it would really add to the immersion.

In the same way, if there's no living quarters that you can make in your base, I'll be far less inclined to make one.

Now though, I'm desperate for my children to go to bed so I can play more NMS.

You know, I've never really thought about that. Surely you're in the equivalent of an X-wing fighter though? I'd no more expect living quarters in one of those. It's just like any game where your character doesn't eat, sleep, or go to the toilet.

You can, however, buy large freighters now. And build a base. No living quarters per se though, although you can craft chairs etc.

if you want to rationalise it all with some Head Canon, I'd suggest that your character actually lives in his suit...

X-Wings are fighters though. They're not intended to be used as a 'home' for exploring the universe.

I guess you do live in your suit, but just imagine how dreadful you'd smell. And how uncomfortable you'd be, sleeping in the cockpit in your suit.

As I say, it doesn't make any difference to game play, but it does annoy me. Same in any game where you 'live', but either don't have access to, or can't interact with, furniture. My son plays a lot of Disney Infinity, and the INterior drives me nuts because it's all about decorating a house, but you can't use any of the furniture. Fable 3 was the same. Minecraft is just as bad for not including tables and chairs etc. And the ones you can make yourself, you can't sit down on. Gah.

Anyway, played another three hours of NMS, and think I'm about ready to leave this system. Just need to check out a crash site and a ruin first...

Oh, I totally get your point - and it would be really cool if you had access to Millennium Falcon style ships, with areas for sleeping etc. But I guess I just hand wave it away by assuming the suit is like a Stillsuit from Dune, which deals with waste, hydration etc.

A far bigger deal for me is that there is no player character model in the game (would love to be able to design the look of my spacesuit, never mind the multiplayer implications), and no ship model when  actually flying (hence no 3rd person camera possibilities). 

Bu by the way, which mode are you playing? 

On 2/9/2017 at 10:05, Scribblor said:

Normal mode, I expect, although I can't actually remember what I chose.

I'm not dying constantly, so I don't think I'm playing Survival, and I can't 'explore the galaxy without limits', so it can't be Creative.

Yes, sounds like Normal to me. Survival mode is ace though, it's like a different game.

Do share any nice sights you find!

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Come on @Davros sock drawer it's been two weeks since your last picture post, what else have you found?

I've given up on the game but I still enjoy reading your adventures.

I've got loads, been saving them up. :)

Best thing that's happened was getting the Atlas V3 pass last night. It was from a random Abandoned Building. Not even got the Atlas V2 pass yet, and I've never found the V3 in any of my save games. 

I actually jumped out of my chair...

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th