IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

20 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

One thing I still can't get my head around is the purchase of a new ship. Why do you simply abandon your previous ship? It just sits there empty in the station. Surely it would make more sense that you either trade your ship so swap plus cash for the other one? Or you could just sell your old ship and leave you on the space station, stuck until you buy another ship? 

Just a little thing. Unless of course it's been patched- not played it for a while.

Yeah, it's daft. The player is the only person in the entire universe who can't sell their ship!

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I take it you're playing in Normal mode? Survival is a lot more tense. Presumably Creative is the polar opposite, although I've not tried it yet.

Yeah, I figured normal was a sensible starting point to familiarise myself. Then when i'm comfortable with the concept I can throw in some risk and peril. But to be honest I can see a lot more wandering about before i get to that point. I'm enjoying trying to upgrade my exosuit and ship first... then i plan to work on my home base (albeit i'm loathe to do this since it's currently on a planet with some pretty bad toxic rain storms and irritable fauna!). Loads to do!

13 minutes ago, Fudge said:

Something that caught me out as a new player to this since the foundation update - I bought a new ship but all my resources etc were still in my old ship, so I had to manually transfer them over with my exosuit.

Don't forget to break down any tech you've built on your old ship first as well. You can transfer the materials across to the new one in the 'Compare' screen.

11 minutes ago, dunkle said:

Yeah, I figured normal was a sensible starting point to familiarise myself. Then when i'm comfortable with the concept I can throw in some risk and peril. But to be honest I can see a lot more wandering about before i get to that point. I'm enjoying trying to upgrade my exosuit and ship first... then i plan to work on my home base (albeit i'm loathe to do this since it's currently on a planet with some pretty bad toxic rain storms and irritable fauna!). Loads to do!

To be honest I can see Survival mode putting as many people off as it might attract. Things like launching your ship using a full load of Plutonium for example, means you have to be careful about even landing!

On 16/12/2016 at 11:41, Davros sock drawer said:

Awesome.

Someone has made a trailer that features only in-game footage from the PS4 version, all of which looks significantly better than the trailers released before the game came out. IMHO.

That was really cool, the sooner I can get a Ps4 the sooner I can play this.. I must have watched so so so many hours of this game being played and I still kinda want to play it?

If new updates come out then I will try to go in blind. I really nope they add more updates - maybe a space radio, screen colour changing and maybe implement some of the mods into the main game somehow (like bigger trees, bigger heightmap, flying closer to ground/underwater etc). If they keep to their word this time "a foundation of things to come" then its gun be reaaal exciting

I think they need to allow you to keep old ships, maybe have three on the go or something so you can happily buy a new one without the fear of never seeing the random style of your own one again. I've flown from one side of the galaxy to the other and only ever found one ship like the Golden Condor, I'm rich enough now to buy a variation on her design that has a crazy amount of slots but I just can't let the old girl go...I know if I ever sold her I'd spend the rest of my days hunter her down again.

36 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Was that from the stock PS4?  Because the framerate looks super smooth there, far smoother than anything I played way back when...

It may be captured on stock PS4 but it's probably framerate-doubled in post, like all those Destiny videos you'll have seen:

You basically just take the 30FPS footage and tell your video editing software to do inbetween frames for you. Guy here explains how to do it:

So that's probably what the guy here did.

I can't really advise, as I've never deliberately set out to make money. But finding a Space Station with a good price on a local resource and then making repeated runs to sell it would seem sensible.

I've been taking the usual array of shots since I started on Survival mode. Spoilered for length.

This was my starting planet, which had a terrain of pretty ragged rocks to traverse before I reached my ship.

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161202101724_zpsmqri0t

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161202101549_zpspb9i3k

I found a few lush/paradise planets after that, but of course they all had arsehole Sentinels so I moved on:

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161203010012_zpscokokc

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161203005956_zpstgpeud

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161202132445_zpsrfh8xc

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161205130958_zpssvvrbg

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161209230144_zpsdxpx6l

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161209230206_zpslfjfqs

I also found a planet with the largest creatures I've ever seen, over 8m tall. You can see they dwarf the little shelter building here:

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161205235808_zpsloa80k

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161206000031_zpsgdbge7

I set my first base up on this desert-y planet, purely because the Sentinels were 'Relaxed':

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161206204833_zpsi189qg

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161207225030_zpsbyhv7y

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161207224220_zpsnqxc7a

I also found a genuinely dark planet, by which I mean that you couldn't see at night time. Never saw that before:

No%20Mans%20Sky_20161209225403_zpsu7xplt

It was quite eerie.

I've got hundreds more, but I'll spare you any more holiday postcards for now.

@Davros sock drawer - you running PS4 or PC? Those screenshots look cracking.

I threw a few more hours into this last night - my ship is still tiny (18 slots?) but found a few upgrades so my suit is c.24 slots and my mining tool is about the same. Much more helpful in raiding abandoned posts and for mining. The exosuit slots took my units to c.300k but it was no trouble at all to do some mining and get me back to 600-700k. Next step for me is to upgrade my ship next as that's my weak point storage wise.

Now, onto freighters - can I dock with one of those straight away - or do i need to get to a higher level/further into the narrative? Generally when i see freighters and ships looking to attack me i scarper (well, if there's a few of them), hence i havne't flown around freighters much - but when i have i haven't seen the option. Presumably i haven't 'unlocked' this yet?

1 hour ago, dunkle said:

I threw a few more hours into this last night - my ship is still tiny (18 slots?) but found a few upgrades so my suit is c.24 slots and my mining tool is about the same. Much more helpful in raiding abandoned posts and for mining. The exosuit slots took my units to c.300k but it was no trouble at all to do some mining and get me back to 600-700k. Next step for me is to upgrade my ship next as that's my weak point storage wise.

Now, onto freighters - can I dock with one of those straight away - or do i need to get to a higher level/further into the narrative? Generally when i see freighters and ships looking to attack me i scarper (well, if there's a few of them), hence i havne't flown around freighters much - but when i have i haven't seen the option. Presumably i haven't 'unlocked' this yet?

Those shots are PS4 in Photo mode.

You can land on the lead Freighter with the icon, and not when it's under attack (the hangar bay will be red). Otherwise just find the one with the icon, and fly into the blue lights.

After you've bought one the icon will change to say "Your Freighter":

freighter-no-mans-sky.jpg

2 hours ago, dunkle said:

Oh, and re. multi-tools - 24 is the maximum. However, it's still worth looking at new ones, as they can sometimes come with maxed out features. I found one that has nearly all the Mining Beam upgrades pre-installed, and I've never mined as quickly as I am now. It also wipes out Sentinel drones almost instantaneously.

I always dismantle the Boltcaster and any related tech as well. I don't use it, so may as well grab the free materials.

On 19/12/2016 at 15:35, BubbleFish said:

One thing I still can't get my head around is the purchase of a new ship. Why do you simply abandon your previous ship? It just sits there empty in the station. Surely it would make more sense that you either trade your ship so swap plus cash for the other one? Or you could just sell your old ship and leave you on the space station, stuck until you buy another ship? 

Just a little thing. Unless of course it's been patched- not played it for a while.

EDIT- Oh and bit of speculation but did anyone else see Jeff Minter's tweet that one of the Hello Devs told him they're working on a PSPro version that looks "great"?

If that's true I'll be buying a Pro pretty sharpish!

I would like to give this another try at some point during the updates.

One thing, have they or will they improve the progression with ships and multitools?

One of the biggest disappointments was realising that they just got more slots as you went along and that the only unique thing about them (really) was their appearance.

That hasn't changed, and is unlikely to ever do so. The procedurally generated "randomness" of the ships is part of the game's overall philosophy. Same as the multitools, animals, planets - everything.

There are new ship and multitool upgrades which you get via quests from the NPCs you recruit to your base, however. Plus you can now buy Freighters. But the same randomness applies there too. That's just the way they've built the game from the ground up.

Last night I started a Survival game. I say survival but it was basically death every 5 minutes.  Has anybody managed to survive on a frozen ice world with no caves in the surrounding area? My ship is 12 mins away but I die within 3 minutes.

Each time I die I have gradually exhausted the sparse life preserving resources in my immediate vicinity making each regen even more impossible.  The daytime temperatures and toxicity make day travel bursts extremely short and night travel even shorter. I have travelled in all directions on brief suicidal surveys of the area and it's just hilly with some wooded areas. I tried making power gel but that just delayed the inevitable. Watching streams I see hot planets at least offer favourable night temperatures and some had plenty of caves to shelter in.

I'd like to get a foothold in my game rather than give up, but am i banging my head against a brick wall?

There is almost no cover unless I ducked into a  mined hole of Emeril, and holes that were mostly too shallow to shelter in. The problem was I was half dead and no nearer to any salvation. I was running and jet packing quite a lot so I'll try easing off that. Not seen any Heridium, only Emeril. Some Thamium9. I was too busy exhausting other options rather than considering making time to craft a boltcaster. Resources were so scarce there was hardly any time to gather them. I'll have to be more patient and make a boltcaster.

But Emeril isn't deposited at convenient hop skip and a jump intervals. A boltcaster (If I have a blue print would allow me to dig in) The main problem is I haven't found one cave yet. I might just restart, it feels like a cop out, but will save me a lot of pain.

Sentinels got the right hump when i mined a bit too much iron. They attacked me when i was sheltering in a shallow hole. The grief is pretty relentless all in all. I'll give the save another go, but if i don't make any progress I'll have to restart.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th