IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Does anyone here play with mods?

There's really only one I fancy installing, which is the one that lets you fly closer to the surface. The altitude restriction really is a bit shit, because it's SO far and it means you can't really see the land before you, uh, land. Because if you get close, it's 'beneath' the ship.  I think a bit of low flying would add a bit of fun.

But I don't want to break the game or anything. 

Just started a new survival save... died within minutes of leaving the starting shelter. :) 

Have since made it back to my ship and begun repairs but have the prospect of a 10-15 minute round trip to get the final resources I need (a chore when I'm getting 2 mins at best out in the open due to the extreme cold). I'm sort of enjoying it but not sure if I'll stick with it long-term depending on how things evolve. The sitting around for minutes at a time doing nothing in my broken ship's cockpit/killer crab filled cave to let my cold protection recharge has already got tedious (and I don't have the resources available nearby to charge it manually) so if the grinding element from normal mode is just elongated in this mode by sparseness and harshness throughout I'm not sure it'll be for me. I'll give it some more time though.

I'm going to start a creative save too and give that a whirl and see where I end up with that.

Randomized game is randomized I know, but in my very first space station - where yuo have to go to if you follow the objectives - in the Vy'keer system there was a scientist (a frog looking NPC) and I believe an engineer (Vy'keer).

On 08/12/2016 at 06:31, SpagMasterSwift said:

Probably oversharing now...base update. My Gravballz bring all the ships to my yard!

Now got to create a trading terminal to quickly move all this product, need a load of circuit boards. 

That is sweet as.

Finally got to the centre of the galaxy last night. Might give it a rest for a bit but I do want to come back and build a mega base (and buy the best ship and freighter with the spoils).

Hundreds of hours in and I still can't get over how pretty this game is. https://twitter.com/NoMansPics

Can't believe the cheek of Geoff Keighley's faux-concern that maybe a small team can't ask $60 for a game, and that "math can't always provide meaning." I just imagine him staring blankly at the Grand Canyon and feeling nothing because it doesn't have a conventional three act structure and shit voice acting.

p.s. Are Automated Mining Units a bit buggy at present? Keep getting 'inventory full' when I try to empty them.

p.p.s. I reckon there are more creature parts (or creature construction has been tweaked) since this weekend's update, but I was wrong last time so idk.

I've switched out the Gravballz in my lab for Mordite plants which you can craft into lube! By filling my ship and suit up with lube I can bank 3.5 million space bucks per trip...the Mordite grow at a rapid rate so getting a full stock of lube is way easy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like to to think this was added as a lol at those who thought they got shafted by No Man's Sky...

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I need to start making credits like that. I'm constantly skint in this game because I can't resist an Exosuit upgrade.

To be fair though, it's a considerably cheaper way to end up with lots of slots. I'm still in a small ship (23 I think) because I've been busy maxing out the suit. Almost there.

Just got back into this. Not really touched the base building much. One change I noticed was in the ambient sound when you land on a dead planet. They used to sound like they were teeming with life, full of strange alien noises, despite being utterly barren. But I've just landed on an empty moon, and I was suddenly struck by how quiet it was. Just my footsteps, and the wind howling across the plains. Miles better, and much more immersive. Made me feel really alone and isolated in the universe.

Came to this one late and have to say... really enjoying it. That i'm interested in the general premise of space exploration might help, but I like the laborious mechanics which are quite nonchalant. Aside from difficult ship to ship combat mechanics there's plenty of scope to just amble about, mine a little, explore a little, trade a little. It's hardly twitch gaming so it suits a nice sit and ponder with a cup of tea. A planned half hour on Saturday morning turned into 3 hours! Probably only about 12-15 hours on the clock for me in total at present, so maybe it will tire - but enjoying it immensely so far and plenty of value from a second hand price (about £1/hr so far).

I do have some questions though and wondered if you guys could advise:

- I'm trying to stick to the prescribed path of exploration and narrative - but am I ok to warp between systems or could this derail me from the prescribed path? Specifically i've sorted a home base and am looking for spadonium for my construction gek. Can't seem to locate it on my local planets/moons - should I wander further afield?

- How much should I be exploring each planet? The completionist in me wants to scan every flora and fauna and mine the hell out of every seam. I'm wasting time, right? Obviously it's one way to get more units (I'm only c.500k) but is it better to upgrade my suit and my ship by finding ones to repair or by grinding out trades?

- How on earth are you supposed to navigate the galaxy map? I've tried a few times and I can barely fathom where i am, let alone how to navigate it. Or is that just me?

Cheers.

I'm probably the biggest fan of the game on here, and I have to say the Galactic Map is shite. What it needs is so simple as well, which is a dotted line showing where you've already been. If you select the Path to the Centre it gives you a clear line forward, just as it does when you select the Atlas Path. But if you want to visit an earlier system for some reason? Forget it.

You can press a direction on the d-pad (I forget which) to highlight nearby discoveries, but it's not the answer. Unbroken line showing you the path forward, dotted line showing the systems you've visited before. That's all it needs. Or just let me pick previously visited systems from a list.

That said, I wouldn't even worry about it. You can pick up the path again by visiting Space Anomalies, and I haven't even tried to reach the centre in probably 300+ hours of play. Explore each planet as much as you like. It can be quite rewarding to ditch your ship and set out on foot until you find a beacon to call your ship to you. I tend to do that on interesting planets with lots of animals, so that I can scan as I go. Otherwise searching for all the species can be frustrating. If you're doing it as part of general sight-seeing though, it's quite relaxing.

If you warp three times (I think) you will activate the teleporter between your base and the space station. So you can leap ahead as many systems as you like and still get back.

Glad you're enjoying it so far. There's no other game quite like it.

One thing I still can't get my head around is the purchase of a new ship. Why do you simply abandon your previous ship? It just sits there empty in the station. Surely it would make more sense that you either trade your ship so swap plus cash for the other one? Or you could just sell your old ship and leave you on the space station, stuck until you buy another ship? 

Just a little thing. Unless of course it's been patched- not played it for a while.

EDIT- Oh and bit of speculation but did anyone else see Jeff Minter's tweet that one of the Hello Devs told him they're working on a PSPro version that looks "great"?

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That said, I wouldn't even worry about it. You can pick up the path again by visiting Space Anomalies, and I haven't even tried to reach the centre in probably 300+ hours of play. Explore each planet as much as you like. It can be quite rewarding to ditch your ship and set out on foot until you find a beacon to call your ship to you. I tend to do that on interesting planets with lots of animals, so that I can scan as I go. Otherwise searching for all the species can be frustrating. If you're doing it as part of general sight-seeing though, it's quite relaxing.

This is the interesting thing for me. It is mostly a relaxing, peaceful endeavour. I'm not tense when I'm playing it - normally I'm just a little bit baffled if anything. I just pootle about and collect some things. Fly here, land there, collect some stuff, mine a bit. Heck, I even generally try and avoid getting sentinels interested in my actions. So it feels relaxing overall - and it's piqued my interest in terms of what's possible, what I should be doing, what I could be doing. When I'm not playing it i'm trying to read about it and think about what i'd do next. But not with a sense of obligation - more with a sense of curiosity. I like that about it.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th